Yardbarker
Yardbarker
x

Jack Hermansson got back in the win column for the first time in nearly two years, defeating Joe Pyfer by unanimous decision at UFC Vegas 86 Saturday night.

Given its constant movement, Hermansson picked up his 24th professional win and wants to remain a significant asset to the 185-pound division.

One name Hermansson said he is targeting is Nassourdine Imavov, who defeated Roman Dolidze in the main event of UFC Vegas 85 a week prior.

“I just watched the rankings and I fought a lot of guys up there, and I obviously can’t fight an unranked opponent and go directly to the top, so I need to fight someone close to me in the rankings,” Hermansson told reporters following the win. "“I think he makes the most sense at the moment.” (H/T MMAJunkie)

Hermansson quickly complimented Pyfer's recent star power but said his experience made the difference in the win.

"He has an amazing story, he’s coming through the contender series, and he has a lot of eyes on him," Hermansson added. "He should get the shot like this, but then you also need to perform to take it to the next level, and I was not going to be that stepping stone.”

The victory gives Hermansson a chance to win back-to-back outings for the first time in over three years, as he has still yet to earn a UFC middleweight title shot.

The division is changing of guard, as Dricus du Plessis became the new title holder after upsetting Sean Strickland in the main event of UFC 297 in January.

This article first appeared on MMA on SI and was syndicated with permission.

More must-reads:

TODAY'S BEST

Alex Pereira viciously knocks out sparring partner after UFC icon was challenged in the gym
MMA

Alex Pereira viciously knocks out sparring partner after UFC icon was challenged in the gym

Alex Pereira looks as ready as ever for his return to the octagon as new footage showed him brutalizing a man who challenged him to a spar. The two-weight UFC champion is currently preparing to defend his newly reclaimed light-heavyweight title against Carlos Ullberg early next year. And he appears to be hitting his stride as he absolutely battered an unknown fighter in the gym. Pereira famously knocked out Israel Adesanya to end his lengthy middleweight title reign in 2022, before moving up and winning light-heavyweight gold. A legendary 2024 run saw him beat almost all comers within months, before he lost the belt to Magomed Ankalaev earlier this year and reclaimed it in October. Alex Pereira brutalizes sparring partner after gym challenge Earlier this evening, Baba Buwaba posted to his Instagram story ‘Standupstriking’ a video of Alex Pereira at the tail end of a brutal sparring session with an unknown fighter. Somehow the video made it to mainstream social media pages in MMA, and it is already going viral. Did Alex Pereira go too far in viral gym KO video? It seems that there is more to the story than what social media footage shows, but Alex Pereira could be seen in a new video brutalizing a much lower level fighter in sparring. Is all fair in love and war, or did he do too much Comment Like or Comment Pereira appears to have been challenged to a hard spar by the man while training at Fusion X-Cel in Florida. And he delivered in spades, dropping his opponent to the body multiple times early in the footage and seemingly getting him to quit. However, the sparring partner, who seems to be called Neil, was pressed to continue. And Pereira put the finishing touches on him as the buzzer sounded, brutally knocking him out with one of the few headshots he threw. Fans react as Alex Pereira viciously KOs sparring partner Viewers weren’t sure what to say after watching Pereira brutalize his sparring partner. Some felt it was unnecessary, while others enjoyed someone being shown a reminder of just what a UFC champion can do to a lesser opponent. “Buddy tried to turn it up against Alex Pereira and got iced,” one fan wrote with a laughing emoji. Another added that “The guy challenged him. He wanted that.” One other viewer made the point that “Truthfully, Alex only goes this hard on people who test him in the gym.”

'I’m Doing It': Scribe on Maple Leafs Trading Future Star in Quinn Hughes Deal
NHL

'I’m Doing It': Scribe on Maple Leafs Trading Future Star in Quinn Hughes Deal

In another world, where the Toronto Maple Leafs have 30 points and are playoff contenders, looking to capitalize on a window to win, does the organization take a run at a generational defenseman that could put them over the top? One host and analyst thinks so, arguing that he would trade just about anything, including Matthew Knies, to acquire Quinn Hughes. Talk about whether the Vancouver Canucks will eventually trade Hughes is everywhere these days. The Canucks have told 31 other teams they are open to moving veterans and are making pending UFAs available via trade. To this point, that doesn’t include Hughes. However, he remains the big name, and the talking point around him is that he looks unhappy. Despite saying he’s committed to the team, it appears he’s moving on at some point. Perhaps the Canucks should get the most they can, while he can fetch a massive return. Would The Maple Leafs Be Interested? Who’s kidding whom? If Hughes becomes available, the Leafs will make a call to find out the asking price. And Bryan Hayes noted recently that if that price is Matthew Knies, he’s doing it. Should Toronto get two possible playoff runs out of Hughes — even if he eventually makes his way to New Jersey as a free agent to play with his brothers — Hughes is such a difference-maker, the Maple Leafs have to consider the trade. Hayes even said he’s throwing in picks and whatever else is required to acquire the second-best defensman in the world. Hayes said: “Let’s say the Leafs are really rocking right now, and it’s going to cost you Matthew Knies, I’m doing it, that’s what I’m telling you. I’m doing that, plus the picks and the prospects, like, that’s how good Quinn Hughes is.” Why Quinn Hughes Would Be A Risk For the Maple Leafs Hayes is suggesting the Leafs move on from arguably their best young forward. And, he’s suggesting they do so, even if they know that Hughes is ultimately not re-signing in Toronto. That makes any theorized deal all about how good Toronto thinks they can be with Hughes and without Knies over the next two seasons. It might not look like it so far this season, but the Maple Leafs’ window to win is now with Auston Matthews and William Nylander in their prime. In fact, that window is closing fast and if the team doesn’t push this season and next, they might be looking at starting over. How much of an impact can Hughes make with this roster? That’s the real question. If you were to describe the ideal fit, Hughes is it. Whether moving on from Knies to get what you need is the right play would be heavily debated. Getting Hughes would be huge. Losing Knies means immediately looking for another player to do what he does and at the same or a lower price. That’s no easy task, given how much the salary cap is rising and with what good forwards are commanding. Winning is the priority, but at what cost? Hughes is a long-term rental, probably nothing more. Hayes is behind the idea that you do what you have to, but is he right? There’s no indication a Hughes trade is close. There’s no sign that the Maple Leafs have eyes on him. But, if the opportunity fell into their lap, does GM Brad Treliving do whatever it takes to make that possibilty a reality?

After missing out on Lane Kiffin, Florida has new top target in coaching search
College Football

After missing out on Lane Kiffin, Florida has new top target in coaching search

The Florida Gators won't be hiring Lane Kiffin as their next head coach, but there's a new top candidate in Gainesville. According to ESPN's Pete Thamel, Tulane head coach Jon Sumrall is now the leading candidate for the head coaching position. Sumrall has also reportedly withdrawn his name from consideration for the HC role at Auburn, leaving his options open between remaining at Tulane and moving to Florida. The Gators stand at 3-8 before Saturday's rivalry game against Florida State and have fired former head coach Billy Napier after a 3-4 start to his fourth season in the Swamp. Thamel reported on Friday that Florida had stopped considering Ole Miss head coach Lane Kiffin as a candidate, amid Kiffin's upcoming decision to either stay at Ole Miss or accept the head coaching job at LSU. Why Florida would be interested in Jon Sumrall According to Thamel, Sumrall is expected to decide by Sunday whether he will stay in New Orleans or move southeast to Gainesville. Sumrall, 43, is in his second year at Tulane, having taken over after Willie Fritz was named head coach at the University of Houston. Sumrall maintained the momentum of Tulane's football program established by Fritz, leading the Green Wave to the American Athletic Conference championship game a year ago. This season, No. 24 Tulane is 9-2 heading into Saturday's regular season finale against Charlotte. A win on Saturday night would secure a home game for the Green Wave in the AAC championship against North Texas. If Sumrall and Tulane win the AAC title, a College Football Playoff spot could be possible. With Sumrall's impressive record as a head coach — 41-11 between his tenures at Troy and Tulane — it's easy to see why the powers that be in Gainesville have identified him as the top target in Florida's coaching search now that Kiffin is out of the running.

Hawks provide injury update on Trae Young amid recent success
NBA

Hawks provide injury update on Trae Young amid recent success

While Atlanta Hawks star Trae Young is making “good progress” in his recovery from a sprained MCL in his right knee, he will miss at least two more weeks, which is the next time he’ll be reevaluated, the team announced in a press release. Young injured his knee in a collision with teammate Mouhamed Gueye in the first quarter of an Oct. 29 game at Brooklyn. He was ruled out for the rest of that game and was diagnosed with the MCL sprain a few days later after undergoing an MRI, which revealed no additional damage. The 27-year-old point guard was scheduled to be checked out on Saturday. This is the first update on his status since Nov. 1. Atlanta Hawks have found success despite Trae Young injury Atlanta has played well without the four-time All-Star, compiling an 11-5 record (including the victory over the Nets) in Young’s absence. He’s expected to be sidelined for six more games, with the earliest possible return date likely being Dec. 14 vs. Philadelphia. Fifth-year forward Jalen Johnson has thrived with Young sidelined, emerging as the face of the franchise and complicating his teammate’s future with the organization, according to Brett Siegel of ClutchPoints. Although the Hawks value young Young’s contributions and are eager to have him back in the near future, they may not be willing to give him the type of contract he could be seeking next offseason if he declines his $49M player option for 2026-27 to become an unrestricted free agent. Johnson had another huge game on Friday against Cleveland, compiling 29 points, 12 rebounds, 12 assists for his second triple-double of the season, writes Lauren L. Williams of The Atlanta Journal-Constitution (subscriber link). Johnson, who turns 24 years old next month, was plus-20 in 39 minutes during the seven-point victory over the Cavaliers. Reigning Most Improved Player Dyson Daniels has also taken on expanded play-making duties with Young out, and will continue to do so until his fellow starter in the backcourt is ready to return. It will be interesting to see what head coach Quin Snyder decides to do with Nickeil Alexander-Walker when Young is back. The Canadian guard, who was acquired in a sign-and-trade with Minnesota over the summer, has more than doubled his scoring average (19.3 point per game) compared to last season (9.4). He has been starting alongside Daniels for the past 13 games.

Customize Your Newsletter

Yardbarker +

Get the latest news and rumors, customized to your favorite sports and teams. Emailed daily. Always free!