
It is now official. Dwight Howard has retired from professional basketball.
Truth be told, most assumed it had already happened. Howard has not appeared in an NBA game since the 2021-22 season, though he did continue playing overseas. Now the former No. 1 overall pick has made it official, announcing he is stepping away after an 18-year career.
Howard said he still felt he had more basketball left in him. But the game had moved on, and he is now turning his attention toward family and life off the court.
Woke up today on the 12th of this month and I figured it’s time to move on from Superman! Im no super human… I cry ! I struggle! I feel like everyone else. Through the lies, the media and the hate I still show love and Smile Through The Storm.
But now Im taking off the cape and… pic.twitter.com/SyZQAcAeLq
— Dwight Howard (@DwightHoward) March 12, 2026
Either way, his legacy was secured long ago.
Howard was one of the most dominant big men of his era, winning three Defensive Player of the Year awards and earning eight All-Star selections and eight All-NBA nods. He averaged 15.7 points and 11.8 rebounds for his career while shooting nearly 59 percent from the field.
He also helped the Lakers win the 2020 championship inside the Orlando bubble.
Howard’s best years came with the Magic, though he also had notable runs with the Rockets and Lakers. And for anyone who only saw the later version of Howard, they missed something special.
At his peak, he was the most dominant defensive force of his era.
More must-reads:
+
Get the latest news and rumors, customized to your favorite sports and teams. Emailed daily. Always free!