Yardbarker
Yardbarker
x
Magic searching for offense in rematch vs. battle-tested Pacers
Alonzo Adams-Imagn Images

The Orlando Magic and Indiana Pacers will square off for the second time in 10 days when they meet on Wednesday in Indianapolis.

The Magic took the first matchup 119-115 on Oct. 28 in Orlando behind a historic performance from forward Paolo Banchero.

His 50 points marked the first time a Magic scorer reached the half-century mark since Tracy McGrady in March 2004, and he fell just one assist shy of becoming only the seventh player in NBA history with a triple-double in a 50-plus-point game.

Orlando has hit hard times since the win over Indiana, however, losing Banchero to a torn right oblique that will sideline him for several weeks. Monday was the Magic's third game without Banchero and their fourth consecutive loss, a 102-86 setback at undefeated Oklahoma City.

Franz Wagner led Orlando with 22 points and Jalen Suggs scored 19 points, grabbed six rebounds and dished six assists. Goga Bitadze returned from a five-game absence due to a foot injury to record his best game of the season with 11 points and nine rebounds.

Wagner, Suggs and Bitadze were the only three Magic scorers in double figures, however, and Orlando failed to reach 90 points for a second consecutive game. The Magic managed only 85 points the previous night in a 23-point loss at Dallas.

Orlando has failed to score 100 points in three of its four losses during the current skid.

"You cannot control if that ball goes in the basket, but you've got to make sure you continue to get the right looks and shoot with confidence," Magic coach Jamahl Mosley said. "We talk about attacking the basket (and generating free throws). We're doing the right thing there."

And indeed, while Orlando's 42.2 percent field-goal percentage ranks No. 27 in the NBA entering Tuesday, the Magic are sixth in free-throw attempts per game at 26.4. Against the Pacers last week, Orlando got to the foul line for 38 attempts -- though Banchero was responsible for 22.

Indiana's prior loss to the Magic, meanwhile, capped a three-game slide for the Pacers. They have since won two of three after Monday's 134-127 win at Dallas.

The 134 points marked Indiana's most scored in regulation this season. Myles Turner led the way with 30 points and 11 rebounds, while Tyrese Haliburton went for 25 points and 12 assists.

Haliburton, who led the NBA with 10.9 assists per game last season, tallied just 11 across his first three games this year. He has since returned to form, dishing out at least 10 assists in each of his last four games.

All five Indiana starters scored in double figures at Dallas, including Pascal Siakam with 23 points and Bennedict Mathurin with 16. Mathurin has put up a combined 65 points in the Pacers' last three games, including 30 in a 135-132, overtime win over reigning champion Boston last Wednesday.

With the wins over the Celtics and Mavericks, Indiana heads into Wednesday's contest boasting victories over both of last season's NBA Finals participants.

"Our team is gaining experience," Pacers coach Rick Carlisle said. "We had a lot of close road games last year that we were able to win. So our guys are understanding what these kinds of situations are about."

This article first appeared on Field Level Media and was syndicated with permission.

More must-reads:

Customize Your Newsletter

Yardbarker +

Get the latest news and rumors, customized to your favorite sports and teams. Emailed daily. Always free!

TODAY'S BEST

Timberwolves 'Actively' Working To Re-Sign Talented Young Guard
NBA

Timberwolves 'Actively' Working To Re-Sign Talented Young Guard

The Minnesota Timberwolves are among the teams in the league to have made minimal changes to their roster over the course of the offseason. Although they have been linked to free agent guards recently, the Wolves are reported to be in active discussions to re-sign Bones Hyland, per The Stein Line's Jake Fischer. He wrote: "Minnesota has two open spots and the Timberwolves, sources say, would like to have Bones Hyland back in the fold." Hyland was last under contract with the Los Angeles Clippers when they exercised their team option for the 2024-25 season. After being traded to the Atlanta Hawks, the guard was promptly waived, with the remainder of his contract stretched over the next five years. As a free agent, the former first-round pick signed a two-way deal with the Timberwolves. While Hyland only made four appearances with the Wolves in the regular season, it appears that he made enough of an impact for Minnesota to consider bringing him back on a more significant contract. Hyland's last significant contract was valued at $4.16 million. Given the impact a buyout could have on future deals, the Wolves could benefit from bringing him back on a team-friendly agreement. Given the small sample size with the Clippers and the Wolves, it is challenging to gauge what the 24-year-old would bring to the table for Minnesota. But considering his performances with the Nuggets, it is evident that the young guard has significant offensive potential. In his rookie season, Hyland showcased the ability to be productive, even in limited minutes. While averaging 19.0 minutes per game off the bench, the guard posted 10.1 points, 2.7 rebounds, and 2.8 assists, on 40.3% shooting from the field and 36.6% shooting from three-point range. In his sophomore year, he displayed tangible growth, averaging 11.8 points, 2.4 rebounds, and 3.1 assists in 19.4 minutes per game. But after being traded to the Clippers in his third season, the marked reduction in playing time led to stagnation and an eventual drop-off in production. Even in the 2024-25 season, with the Clippers, he recorded only 11.1 minutes per game. Still, he put up averages of 7.2 points, 1.2 rebounds, and 1.4 assists per game. This is an impressive feat for a player receiving limited playing time. Adding Hyland to the roster would be greatly beneficial for the Timberwolves, who will require a backup point guard to support veteran Mike Conley. With talented young guards like Rob Dillingham and Terrence Shannon Jr. also on the roster, the Wolves' guard depth could help them sustain their momentum over the course of the regular season.

Phillies' Kyle Schwarber makes all kinds of MLB history vs. Braves
MLB

Phillies' Kyle Schwarber makes all kinds of MLB history vs. Braves

Kyle Schwarber made sure his Philadelphia Phillies bounced back after being swept by the New York Mets earlier this week. Schwarber went 4-for-6 with four home runs and nine RBI in Philadelphia's 19-4 win over the Atlanta Braves on Thursday. His first home run of the night came in the first inning, a solo shot for his 46th of the season. In the fourth inning, the three-time All-Star blasted his second home run of the night (47), this time a two-run knock. Schwarber’s third long ball came in the following frame, with his 48th being a three-run homer. Finally, in the seventh inning, Schwarber hit his fourth home run (49) of the night to right field to come within one dinger of 50 for the season. The 32-year-old made all kinds of history on Thursday against the Phillies’ division rival. He already surpassed his previous career high for home runs in a single season, but also became just the fourth player in franchise history to have four homers in a game and the first since Hall of Famer Mike Schmidt did so in 1976. Additionally, Schwarber is only the 21st player in MLB history to achieve this feat, and the fifth player all-time with at least four homers and nine RBI in a game. Plus, Schwarber joined the Athletics’ Nick Kurtz and Seattle Mariners’ Eugenio Suarez as the only players to have a four-homer game this season — the first time this has occurred. Clearly, Schwarber and the Phillies were anxious to get out of Queens and return to Philadelphia. The Phillies’ offense scored just eight runs across the three-game set against the Mets. They scored 19 runs off the Braves’ pitching at Citizens Bank Park. Schwarber received “MVP” chants from Phillies fans on Thursday, and rightfully so. He’s on his way to breaking Ryan Howard’s previous franchise record of 58 home runs in a season, which earned him the 2006 National League MVP.

Jelena Ostapenko responds to racism allegations after post-match confrontation with Taylor Townsend 
Tennis

Jelena Ostapenko responds to racism allegations after post-match confrontation with Taylor Townsend 

A heated post-match exchange between former World No. 5 Jelena Ostapenko and Taylor Townsend marred an otherwise action-filled fourth day of the U.S. Open on Wednesday. After Townsend defeated the 2017 French Open champion in straight sets, 7-5, 6-1, Ostapenko accused her opponent of unsportsmanlike conduct, pointing out that the American didn't apologize when a net cord helped her win a crucial point earlier in the match. The Latvian wrote on social media that Townsend "was very disrespectful" and didn't show the proper etiquette expected of a pro tennis player. "If she plays in her homeland, it doesn’t mean that she can behave and do whatever she wants," she wrote in a scathing address of Townsend. Townsend offered more details on their post-match confrontation, which led to some suggesting she was racially targeted. "She told me I have no class and no education, and to see what happens if we play each other outside the U.S.," Townsend revealed. Townsend refused to call Ostapenko a racist. "I didn't take it in that way," she said, via BBC. "But also that has been a stigma in our community of being not educated, and all of the things, when it's the furthest thing from the truth. Whether it had racial undertones or not, that's something she can speak on." Ostapenko was widely lambasted on social media, with even World No. 1 Aryna Sabalenka asking her to control her emotions. The under-attack Latvian responded to allegations of her being a racist, while reaffirming her stance on Townsend disrespecting her during the match. "I was never racist in my life and I respect all nations of people in the world, for me it doesn't matter where you come from," she wrote on social media. Townsend will next face Russian teenage prodigy Mirra Andreeva in the third round. The World No. 46 American is trying to reach the fourth round of her home major for the first time since 2019.

Chicago Bears face a harsh reality thanks to the Micah Parsons-Packers trade but the bright side is it's not permanent
NFL

Chicago Bears face a harsh reality thanks to the Micah Parsons-Packers trade but the bright side is it's not permanent

The Chicago Bears, along with the rest of the NFC North, received some unwanted news Thursday night when the Green Bay Packers officially pulled off a trade for Micah Parsons. The all-world pass rusher is now a cheesehead through the 2029 season and will certainly be on the minds of the Bears and their divisional counterparts moving forward. The move sent ripples throughout the NFCN and the conference as a whole. For the Bears, specifically, it reminded them of a harsh reality: They're still a step away from becoming a playoff contender and the expectations for 2025 should simply be about progress before anything else. Bears have a ways to go before competing in the NFC North With all the additions made this offseason in Chicago, expectations undoubtedly rose to an even higher level, a dangerous game the Bears are used to playing. After this trade by the Packers, it’s clear the Bears still have a long way to go before being able to truly compete for an NFC North title. Now, let me be clear, it won’t take too much time to get to that level with a strong foundation in place. The future is very bright for the Bears and this team could easily be in a spot, next year, where playoffs are a realistic expectation. But when it comes to 2025, expectations should be lessened after seeing this move. Detroit, Minnesota, and Green Bay are primed to make some noise and a deep run in the NFC. Chicago still has a lot to prove to get out of the division basement. Caleb Williams has to prove he's the franchise quarterback the Bears believe him to be. The offensive line has to show it's not just improved on paper, but on the field, too. Allen faces the questions of re-proving himself as a defensive coordinator after several years of being a head coach. If he can pick up where he left off as a DC then the Bears have the talent of defense to be one of the NFL's best units. We still have to see that come to fruition, however, and we don't know if it will just yet. At the same time, Chicago has early measuring stick games in the first two weeks against Minnesota and Detroit to determine if the revamped team can hang with the top dogs. While a lot can change over the course of an NFL season, those two contests will say a lot about the state of the Bears and the direction they're headed. As for the matchups against Green Bay, the Bears won’t face its bitter rival and the team’s new weapon until Week 14, giving Chicago plenty of time to prepare. So, while the Bears still have a lot to prove, the key part is 2025 will give them all kinds of opportunities to do just that - answer questions. Packers trade for Micah Parsons overshadows all progress the Bears have made in the NFC North arms race The Chicago Bears have been the talk of the town in the NFC North the past few months and earned the title of “Offseason Champs” in the NFL once again. It’s a faux award fans are tired of hearing in Chicago - because the only thing that matters are results on the field. Even still, the progress the Bears made in the NFC North arms race this offseason has been impressive. By adding head coach Ben Johnson, the Bears locker room culture and offense took a complete 180 degree turn. On defense, Allen’s presence and new additions created a whole new aggressive mindset. But even with all the moves, the Parsons-to-Packers trade overshadows them all. It's simply because we're talking about one of the best players in the game who is still in his prime, regardless of position, and he just so happens to play one of the most important positions. Parsons is a true game-wrecker and his presence can take a bad defense and immediately make it a good one. That's how special he is. There's still plenty of reason for optimism in 2025 and beyond No one is saying this should take any excitement away from the Bears' current direction. The good news is if things go according to plan, they'll be right in the playoff mix in 2026. It's not a permanent or even short-term status, whatsoever. The arrow is pointing up in Chicago, but unfortunately it's even higher in Green Bay after the Parsons trade.