x
Chargers C Tyler Biadasz Out Indefinitely
IMAGN IMAGES via Reuters Connect

Chargers center Tyler Biadasz suffered ACL damage and additional injuries to his left knee during practice on Tuesday, Adam Schefter of ESPN and Ian Rapoport of NFL Network report. Biadasz is out indefinitely, per Schefter and Rapoport.

“Tyler Biadasz sustained a left knee injury during yesterday’s joint practice with the 49ers,” the Chargers said (via Daniel Popper of The Athletic). “He underwent imaging later in the day and is currently in the process of gathering additional opinions.”

The Chargers and 49ers held a joint practice on Tuesday. The 28-year-old Biadasz was carted off the field after 49ers defensive tackle Sebastian Valdez fell into his leg, according to Khris Rhim of ESPN. Mike Garafolo of NFL Network reported earlier Wednesday that a “long-term absence” was in store for Biadasz. Unfortunately for the Chargers and Biadasz, that will indeed be the case.

Adding Biadasz was among the highlights of the offseason for the Chargers, who scooped up the 6-foot-4, 316-pounder in free agency. The Commanders surprisingly released Biadasz in late February, but he quickly caught on with the Chargers on a three-year, $30MM deal. Also a former Cowboy, the 2020 fourth-round pick has been a full-time starter since his second season.

Over 16 games last year, Biadasz ranked as Pro Football Focus’ 11th-best center among 37 qualifiers. PFF ranked the now-retired Bradley Bozeman, the Bolts’ previous starting center, as the worst in the NFL in 2025. A healthy Biadasz looked like a clear upgrade, but now his season appears to be in jeopardy. This could end up as the second summer in a row the Chargers lose a starting lineman for the year, as they saw cornerstone left tackle Rashawn Slater go down with a torn patellar tendon last August.

With Bozeman and the Chargers’ other healthy blockers struggling, Slater unavailable for the season and standout tackle Joe Alt missing 11 games, the Bolts fielded a bottom-tier O-line in 2025. Franchise quarterback Justin Herbert took 54 sacks, the second-highest total in the league. The Chargers still won 11 games and earned a playoff berth, but the Patriots’ defense mauled Herbert in the wild-card round. He suffered 11 hits and six sacks in a 16-3 loss.

Chargers head coach Jim Harbaugh fired offensive coordinator/longtime friend Greg Roman after the debacle in New England and replaced him with former Dolphins HC Mike McDaniel. There is optimism the Chargers’ offense will improve under McDaniel, but the loss of Biadasz will affect multiple spots up front.

Fortunately for the Chargers, they have a promising contingency plan in place at center in Jake Slaughter. The second-round rookie from Florida has been in the mix for the starting left guard job this summer, but all of his college experience came at the pivot. As a three-year starter with the Gators, the 6-5, 303-pounder was a two-team All-American and a two-time first-team All-SEC performer.

Now that Slaughter is on track to start at center, what had been a five-man battle for left guard will shrink. Trey Pipkins, Kayode Awosika, Trevor Penning and Branson Taylor are in contention for the role. McDaniel did not name a favorite when discussing the position on Monday (via Eric Smith of the team’s website).

“In my mind, there’s five guys in the competition,” McDaniel said. “And I would lose money if I bet against three of them.”

This article first appeared on Pro Football Rumors and was syndicated with permission.

More must-reads:

Customize Your Newsletter

Yardbarker +

Get the latest news and rumors, customized to your favorite sports and teams. Emailed daily. Always free!