New York Giants fans didn't have to wait long to catch glimpses of star running back Saquon Barkley in action on Monday.
Hours after reports surfaced the Giants were activating Barkley off the physically unable to perform list, the 24-year-old made his official return to the practice field as he continues his recovery from the torn ACL he suffered last September:
According to Dan Salomone of the club's website, head coach Joe Judge told reporters Barkley will mostly participate in individual drills over the first half of the week. Both Judge and Barkley have been noncommittal about the ball-carrier's availability for the season opener against the Denver Broncos on Sept. 12, and Judge offered no real update on the situation on Monday:
Joe Judge said this doesn’t change anything with Saquon’s timetable to return to games. They’re going to continue to be patient and wait for the green light from the medical staff.— Dan Salomone (@Dan_Salomone) August 9, 2021
It's been widely reported Barkley will sit through the preseason, and Jordan Raanan of ESPN reported in June the Giants could hold their RB1 out all of September. Barkley went down to the knee injury on Sept. 20 of last year but didn't undergo surgery to repair the issue until late October.
Big Blue begins the preseason versus the New York Jets this coming Saturday.