
The Pittsburgh Steelers had been linked to possibly drafting a quarterback early in the 2025 NFL Draft. Now that the dust has settled and the draft is over, the Steelers did indeed take a quarterback—but much later than many expected. Some critics questioned Pittsburgh’s decision to wait until the sixth round to address the position, while others praised the move as a patient, value-driven approach.
With top prospect Shedeur Sanders sliding far beyond his projected range, many believed the Steelers missed out on a potential franchise-changing talent. ESPN’s Mel Kiper Jr. was especially vocal during the broadcast, expressing disbelief that Pittsburgh passed on Sanders. However, instead of making a bold move early, the Steelers stayed put and ultimately selected Will Howard in Round 6, a quarterback some evaluators had graded much higher.
On Thursday, NFL draft analyst Steve Palazzolo of The 33rd Team joined 93.7 The Fan to break down exactly why Howard fell so far. According to Palazzolo, the slide wasn’t about talent—it was about inconsistency, system questions, and concerns from scouts about how his game would translate to the NFL. Still, for the Steelers, it could be a low-risk, high-reward steal that pays off big down the line.
"I don't know if there's anything specific fatally as far as the flaw, it's just inconsistency. The same description can be used on [Jalen] Milroe," Palazzolo said. "There was some games where his accuracy is all over the place... He will overthrow receivers over the middle of the field a couple times a game it seems and his arm is not great. It's good. I think he's been touted as having a big arm, but it's not great. It's fine and the athleticism is kind of like a lower end Daniel Jones."
Palazzolo believes it was a bit of a conglomeration of factors that held Howard’s draft stock down. Still, many would agree that Howard should have been selected much earlier than the sixth round, even with the question marks surrounding him.
Howard transferred to Ohio State for his final season and helped lead the team to a National Championship, but Palazzolo doesn’t believe Howard was the primary reason for that success.
"I think his velocity, I think his arm strength is okay, and I think that's a big part of it as well as the inconsistency," Palazzolo said. "If you want to dock him, his accuracy was all over the place at Kansas State and maybe it got better this year, but that's throwing to Jeremiah Smith and Emeka Egbuka [with] Chip Kelly calling the plays. If you wanted to dock him, you would say he was more of a passenger than the driver for that Ohio State offense."
Yes, it’s true that Howard became a much better player after transferring to Columbus, surrounded by elite talent. However, simply having great teammates doesn’t guarantee success at the quarterback position.
Just one season earlier, Kyle McCord was OSU’s starting quarterback and had nowhere near the level of success Howard achieved. McCord eventually transferred out, Howard stepped in, and the difference was undeniable.
Of course, there were changes—Chip Kelly took over play-calling duties, and Jeremiah Smith emerged as arguably the best wide receiver in the country. Still, McCord had plenty of talent around him too and didn’t elevate the offense the way Howard did. That contrast only adds to the intrigue—and the question marks—surrounding a player like Howard.
What can’t be ignored are Howard’s physical tools and leadership qualities. The Steelers were also impressed by how he played his best football under pressure during the College Football Playoff.
They believe he has the potential to be a reliable backup in the NFL, if not develop into something more. Sixth-round picks rarely beat the odds, but Howard brings the mindset, confidence, and work ethic needed to give himself a real shot in Pittsburgh.
More must-reads:
+
Get the latest news and rumors, customized to your favorite sports and teams. Emailed daily. Always free!
A Buffalo Bills legend provided some sage advice for Keon Coleman this week. Andre Reed enjoyed a Hall of Fame career with the Bills, during which he became fellow HOFer Jim Kelly’s favorite target within the vaunted Buffalo passing game during the team’s run to four straight Super Bowls in the 1990s. Now, Reed is hoping to spread some of the knowledge he gained during his time in the NFL in order to help Coleman take the next step as a professional. During a recent podcast hit on Bleav in Bills with Adam Benigni and Sal Maiorana, Reed delved into what he believes has prevented Coleman from reaching another level of performance in his second NFL season. “There’s something not connecting in there,” said the former Bills WR. “He’s got the talent out the yin yang. He’s a physical specimen. And he’s got to believe in himself that he can do that and he can make a big difference every single play if he wants to.” Reed added, “And I think there’s a little disconnect in his brain right now where he, all this other off-field stuff and all this other stuff that is going on. And I believe that (Head Coach Sean McDermott) is trying to show him, by sitting down for two weeks, that this game can be good to you, and it can not be good to you. And you can be gone quick. And I hope he sees that. And I know he does.” Coleman began the season as one of the Bills’ top targets in the passing game, but after being late to a team meeting leading up to a Week 11 meeting with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, McDermott elected to bench the former second-round pick, his third time being disciplined in his young career, and the second time this season. He was also a healthy scratch this past week against the Houston Texans, but McDermott later revealed it was not due to discipline, but rather because the Bills were forced to prepare for Houston on a short week. Reed is hoping Coleman’s inactivity over the past two weeks sent the 22-year-old a message. “Instead of me just going after him and saying, ‘You’re not doing this, you’re not doing — I kind of just tried to level the playing field and said, ‘Hey, do the extra stuff,’” said Reed. “Go in early. Do some one-on-ones with every DB after practice for 20 minutes. Do all this stuff and show these coaches that Keon Coleman is here to make plays and help this team win.” Coleman may get another chance to prove himself this week against the Pittsburgh Steelers, as the Bills are dealing with a list of injuries at the WR position. Curtis Samuel was placed on Injured Reserve on Saturday due to knee and elbow injuries, and Joshua Palmer missed time throughout the week due to an ankle injury and is questionable to play on Sunday. If he is indeed provided with a jersey on game day for the first time in three weeks, it would behoove Coleman to take Reed’s advice, keep his head down, do all the right things and continue to work himself back into the good graces of the coaching staff. Otherwise, he could be looking at a change of scenery this offseason.
Over Thanksgiving week, New York Yankees owner Hal Steinbrenner provided fans with plenty of news to digest. Among notable items that are circulating, four things stand out: his resolve to lower the payroll below $300 million, the insinuation that the Yankees are not a profitable ballclub, the assumption that the Los Angeles Dodgers’ astronomical payroll played no part in their dominance and his purported support for a salary cap. When seen together, these four items seem to suggest a severe reluctance to spend. Steinbrenner made it clear he wants to come in under the luxury tax threshold. Interestingly, he called the correlation between spending and championships weak, alluding to his Yankees as well as the New York Mets as examples of teams with high payrolls and limited success. However, this opens up a discussion about how said money was spent. The Mets notably dumped a record sum on signing Juan Soto, but did little elsewhere. But what about the Yankees? When asked if it was fair to say the Yankees turned a profit after engrossing over $700 million in revenue, Steinbrenner had this to say, according to MLB.com's Bryan Hoch: “That’s not a fair statement or an accurate statement. Everybody wants to talk about revenues. They need to talk about our expenses, including the $100 million expense to the City of New York that we have to pay every February 1, including the COVID year. So, it all starts to add up in a hurry. “Nobody spends more money, I don’t believe, on player development, scouting, performance science. These all start to add up.” Altogether, the Yankees spent slightly under $305 million on players’ salaries in 2025. For a breakeven season, the Yankees would have needed to spend over $395 million elsewhere. Where did it all go? Steinbrenner mentioned the $100 million expense to New York City. As for the bulk of their expenses, the Yankees owner pointed towards player development, scouting and performance science. This raises a more serious question about mismanagement. The Yankees are overspending on failing analytics If most of the money was spent on development, scouting and performance science, one could easily argue that the cost has outweighed the benefits. Despite having spent so much, these efforts have produced very little. Over the years, the Yankees have seen more failures than success stories when developing major league talent. Promising players and top prospects like Gary Sanchez, Clint Frazier, Deivi Garcia, Miguel Andujar, Domingo German, Chance Adams, Justus Sheffield, Oswald Peraza and Estevan Florial, among many others, never panned out. The team also gave up on Carlos Narvaez and Agustin Ramirez in favor of Austin Wells, who underperformed the pair of rookie backstops this past season. Another catching prospect, Yankees 2018 first-round draft pick Anthony Seigler, who struggled during his time in the Yankees’ farm system as recently as last year, excelled with the Milwaukee Brewers in Triple-A this year. Anthony Volpe, Will Warren, Luis Gil and Jasson Dominguez are four current works in progress. It might also be fair to say the torpedo bat craze the Yankees started has officially ended. Of their recent triumphs, the Yankees boast Ben Rice and Cam Schlittler. Going further back, one might add Gleyber Torres and Aaron Judge to the list; however, Judge’s swing was actually developed by famed hitting coach Richard Schenck, not the Yankees. Spending on these efforts is by no means a waste; nonetheless, it’s clear the Yankees are grossly overspending for something that isn't even working. Whether it means an organizational shakeup or reallocation of funds to target proven major league talent, Steinbrenner’s approach needs to change.
The Boston Red Sox made their first major trade of the offseason earlier this week, and Richard Fitts was on the business end of the deal. Fitts started this season in the Red Sox rotation, but injuries and struggles both took a toll. He wound up with a 5.00 ERA in 45 innings, and briefly flirted with a move to the bullpen late in the year before elbow neuritis ended his year early. Now that he's been dealt to the St. Louis Cardinals as part of the package for three-time All-Star Sonny Gray, Fitts is looking forward to competing for a spot in a less experienced rotation. If you like our content, choose Sports Illustrated as a preferred source on Google. Fitts talks trade, Cardinals opportunity Fitts recently shared his mindset on the trade, admitting that he likely had a better chance to stick in the St. Louis rotation than he would have if he'd remained in Boston. “With this opportunity (with the Cardinals), if I am able to stay healthy, I think it’s just going to be a great fit and a way for me to stay in a rotation,” Fitts said, per Alex Speier of The Boston Globe. “I feel like I really grew as a pitcher with the Red Sox. "When I came over from the (New York) Yankees to the Red Sox, it was like, ‘Oh, this would be cool if I get to be a big leaguer over here.’ And now, moving to this opportunity, it’s like, ‘I am a big leaguer. How can I fit into (the Cardinals) rotation?’” Though he would have been buried on the depth chart a bit, the Red Sox definitely weren't happy to see Fitts go. He showed No. 4 starter promise during his September call-up a year ago, including a scoreless start against the Yankees, and he was a spring training darling this year, adding significant velocity and showcasing three breaking balls. While Gray gives the Red Sox a significantly higher floor than they had to start the week, the Red Sox know they incurred some long-term risks by moving on from Fitts and Brandon Clarke. But the beauty of building pitching depth over the past couple of years is that it allows them to take some risks.
Out for over a month with a concussion and right knee issues, Cowboys cornerback Trevon Diggs is moving toward a return from IR. The team expects to open his practice window on Sunday, head coach Brian Schottenheimer announced via ESPN's Todd Archer. Once that happens, the Cowboys will have 21 days to activate Diggs. Now in his sixth NFL season, Diggs played the Cowboys’ first six games of 2025 and started in four before suffering a concussion in an accident at his home. He hasn’t taken the field since Oct. 12. The Cowboys placed Diggs on IR almost two weeks after his concussion, but the move had more to do with concerns over his knee. Notably, it isn’t the same knee that Diggs injured multiple times in the past. He tore his left ACL in 2023 and required chondral graft surgery on the joint last season. The Cowboys lost two of their first three games without Diggs, falling to 3-5-1, but the team has since won three in a row, including a Thanksgiving Day victory against the Chiefs. Dallas, whose defense got off to a woeful start this year, has undergone a few notable changes since Diggs last played. Cowboys owner Jerry Jones made a pair of major acquisitions before the Nov. 4 trade deadline, acquiring defensive tackle Quinnen Williams from the Jets and linebacker Logan Wilson from the Bengals. The Cowboys have also gotten back a couple of defensive reinforcements, linebacker DeMarvion Overshown and rookie cornerback Shavon Revel, from long-term absences. Those additions have helped the Cowboys surge into the playoff race, and they’ll hope Diggs will also have a positive impact after a rough start to the season. The two-time Pro Bowler didn’t log any interceptions or passes defensed before going on IR. Worse, Diggs allowed a shocking 154.9 passer rating — not far below a perfect mark of 158.3 — when opposing quarterbacks targeted him, according to Pro Football Focus. The Cowboys expect Diggs’ return to come during an all-important showdown with the 7-5 Lions on Thursday, Jones said (via The Athletic's Jon Machota). Both NFC playoff contenders will enter the game with little room for error. Assuming he plays, Diggs will rejoin a cornerback group that saw Revel, DaRon Bland, and Reddy Steward lead the way in snaps in the Cowboys’ win over the Chiefs. They likely won’t have to deal with Lions No. 1 receiver Amon-Ra St. Brown, who’s expected to sit out with an ankle injury. Even if Diggs performs better during the last several weeks of the season, this may go down as his final stretch with the organization that drafted him in 2020. The Cowboys signed Diggs to a five-year, $97M extension in July 2023, but there’s no guaranteed money on his deal beyond this season, per Over the Cap. Diggs’ ongoing injury troubles and decline in performance may lead the Cowboys to go in another direction. Releasing Diggs could help the Cowboys keep pending free agent wide receiver George Pickens, who will earn a massive raise on either the franchise tag or a long-term deal.




