Quarterback Deshaun Watson reportedly could be ready to return to the Cleveland Browns' active roster in November, following a torn Achilles tendon he suffered last October and then reinjured while recovering.
During a Thursday appearance on Cleveland sports radio station 92.3 The Fan, Browns insider Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer revealed that owner Jimmy Haslam, general manager Andrew Berry and head coach Kevin Stefanski recently watched one of Watson's workouts and "liked what they saw."
Cabot also shared a scenario that could involve Watson replacing Week 1 starter Joe Flacco on the Browns' depth chart that also features rookies Dillon Gabriel and Shedeur Sanders:
"Haslam, Berry, Stefanski all watched one of Watson's workouts and they liked what they saw... They will have to make a decision come October whether to activate him or not."@MaryKayCabot on Deshaun Watson's chances of playing a game this season
— 92.3 The Fan (@923TheFan) August 28, 2025
: https://t.co/dy3PcQzpFW pic.twitter.com/PlqBlRDStf
"If you get to the trade deadline," Cabot said during the segment, "and you like what you see from [Gabriel], and somebody comes calling for Joe Flacco, do you maybe think about putting [Watson] back on the roster as your backup and let Dillon play out the season and Shedeur play out the season but keep [Watson] as that one-play-away guy?"
As of Thursday morning, DraftKings Sportsbook had the Browns at +950 betting underdogs to make the playoffs this season. No team had worse odds at that time, which says a lot about what league insiders think Cleveland's record will be when it enters its Week 9 bye shortly before the NFL trade deadline on Nov. 4.
Gabriel will serve as the Browns' QB2 for their regular-season opener against the Cincinnati Bengals on Sept. 7. Meanwhile, Berry and Stefanski may view Sanders as a developmental project who won't be ready to face a live defense in a meaningful game before 2026.
Assuming Watson gets medically cleared to play this fall, he could essentially force the Browns to either release him or shift him to the 53-man roster. Having him as a post-trade-deadline option would allow Cleveland to keep Sanders sidelined if the Browns trade Flacco but then lose Gabriel to an injury.
In short, it sounds like the Browns haven't closed the door on playing Watson this season, despite Haslam acknowledging earlier this year that the franchise "took a big swing and miss" when it signed the 29-year-old to a fully guaranteed five-year, $230M contract in March 2022.
More must-reads:
Get the latest news and rumors, customized to your favorite sports and teams. Emailed daily. Always free!