The Minnesota Vikings have offered an encouraging update regarding troubled defensive end Everson Griffen, who had refused to leave his home earlier on Wednesday amid unfounded claims somebody inside the residence was attempting to kill him.
"Law enforcement agencies have notified us Everson Griffen came out of his home without incident and is now getting the care he needs," the Vikings announced Wednesday afternoon. "We are thankful to the Hennepin County Sheriff's Office, the Carver County Sheriff's Office, the Minnetrista Police Department and the Orono Police Department for their quick response and dedication to ensuring the situation ended peacefully. Our focus remains on Everson's health and safety and providing the proper resources for him and his family."
According to reports, Griffen called 911 after 3 a.m. Wednesday and said someone was inside his home and that he was in danger. The 33-year-old who shared a now-deleted Instagram video showing him with a gun admitted he had fired a weapon, presumably to defend himself, but also said nobody was injured.
The Minnetrista Police Department explained in a news release they found no evidence of an intruder and believed Griffen was home alone throughout the day. In an earlier statement, the Vikings announced team representatives and mental health professionals had communicated with the pass-rusher on-site.
As noted by the NFL's website, Griffen took a five-game leave of absence from the Vikings during the 2018 season because of reasons said to be related to mental health. Before Wednesday's reassuring update, Minnesota head coach Mike Zimmer told reporters Griffen's playing status moving forward was "really not our concern right now."