Yardbarker
Yardbarker
x
Hurricanes G Pyotr Kochetkov in concussion protocol
Aaron Doster-Imagn Images

Carolina Hurricanes goaltender Pyotr Kochetkov is out indefinitely after entering concussion protocol, the team confirmed Monday.

Kochetkov left the ice after a collision with teammate Sean Walker during overtime of Saturday night's game at Columbus, which the Blue Jackets won in a shootout.

"You see some guys bounce back really quick, and some guys it takes longer," head coach Rod Brind'Amour said.

The Hurricanes were already without netminder Frederik Andersen for 8-12 weeks due to knee surgery. Spencer Martin will be the primary goaltender until Kochetkov can return.

Kochetkov, 25, is 10-2-0 with a .904 save percentage and a 2.42 goals-against average in 13 starts this season, his fourth with the Hurricanes.

This article first appeared on Field Level Media and was syndicated with permission.

More must-reads:

TODAY'S BEST

Depth: The Habs have the NHL’s second-worst line of centers, according to Travis Yost
NHL

Depth: The Habs have the NHL’s second-worst line of centers, according to Travis Yost

Offensively, the Canadiens have a few certainties heading into next season. Some guys are “guaranteed” to be in the team’s top-9, and there are some logical names that come to mind. But there are also some uncertainties… and you’ll understand that I’m talking about the team’s center line. Nick Suzuki and Jake Evans are going to play center, that’s written in the sky, but what about the rest? Alex Newhook, Joe Veleno, Zachary Bolduc (?) and Oliver Kapanen (the latter could cause a surprise) can play center on a line… but when you look closely, it’s easy to see that the Habs don’t have much depth at center. And in the eyes of Travis Yost, who was on the Sick Podcast… it goes further: according to him, the Habs have the 2nd-worst center line in the entire National League, ahead of the Nashville Predators. That’s not ideal. [content-ads] It’s no secret. To win games, be dominant on the ice and make a run in the playoffs….good NHL clubs must have the luxury of a big line of centers. They’re the ones who control the game, and they’re often the centerpieces of a Stanley Cup contending team. Clearly, the Habs have a problem at the moment at this level, and that’s what’s worrying in a way. The Canadiens have high expectations after making the playoffs last year, but it may be difficult to compete with other clubs if they don’t improve at center before too long. That said, we saw the club make the playoffs last year with a line of centers “similar” to the one for next season. The club lost Christian Dvorak… but in the long term, this formula doesn’t work in the National League. Kent Hughes tried to find a second quality center to play in the top-6, but he didn’t succeed. As a result, the Habs have a pretty big hole at center… which could sink the team at any moment on the ice. [spacer title=’Overtime’] – Nice picture! – With good reason. – It’s going to get hot.

Phillies' Kyle Schwarber makes all kinds of MLB history vs. Braves
MLB

Phillies' Kyle Schwarber makes all kinds of MLB history vs. Braves

Kyle Schwarber made sure his Philadelphia Phillies bounced back after being swept by the New York Mets earlier this week. Schwarber went 4-for-6 with four home runs and nine RBI in Philadelphia's 19-4 win over the Atlanta Braves on Thursday. His first home run of the night came in the first inning, a solo shot for his 46th of the season. In the fourth inning, the three-time All-Star blasted his second home run of the night (47), this time a two-run knock. Schwarber’s third long ball came in the following frame, with his 48th being a three-run homer. Finally, in the seventh inning, Schwarber hit his fourth home run (49) of the night to right field to come within one dinger of 50 for the season. The 32-year-old made all kinds of history on Thursday against the Phillies’ division rival. He already surpassed his previous career high for home runs in a single season, but also became just the fourth player in franchise history to have four homers in a game and the first since Hall of Famer Mike Schmidt did so in 1976. Additionally, Schwarber is only the 21st player in MLB history to achieve this feat, and the fifth player all-time with at least four homers and nine RBI in a game. Plus, Schwarber joined the Athletics’ Nick Kurtz and Seattle Mariners’ Eugenio Suarez as the only players to have a four-homer game this season — the first time this has occurred. Clearly, Schwarber and the Phillies were anxious to get out of Queens and return to Philadelphia. The Phillies’ offense scored just eight runs across the three-game set against the Mets. They scored 19 runs off the Braves’ pitching at Citizens Bank Park. Schwarber received “MVP” chants from Phillies fans on Thursday, and rightfully so. He’s on his way to breaking Ryan Howard’s previous franchise record of 58 home runs in a season, which earned him the 2006 National League MVP.

Jerry Jones Has a ‘1-Word’ Response to How Other Cowboys Players Can Get Contract Extension After Micah Parsons Saga
NFL

Jerry Jones Has a ‘1-Word’ Response to How Other Cowboys Players Can Get Contract Extension After Micah Parsons Saga

Jerry Jones remains adamant that he handled Micah Parsons‘ contract negotiations perfectly, despite handing the edge rusher over to a team that humiliated the Dallas Cowboys in the playoffs a little over a year ago. The veteran owner asserted that his approach to future contract talks will stay the same. Jones and Parsons had a verbal agreement in place regarding his extension in April. Parsons had no qualms about the number he was offered, but he wanted to run it by his agent, David Mulugheta, before making the deal official. The Cowboys brass did not receive the memo. An emotionally hurt Parsons requested a trade. He wanted to leave the Dallas franchise. Several teams inquired about him. The Green Bay Packers eventually offered the best deal. Jones agreed to do business with the Packers because the NFC North side had the necessary cap space to pay Parsons. We only picked teams that had room on their cap, that can pay Micah, and we only picked teams that had top tackles. Interior tackles… that we wanted to have any dialog at all about a trade. That was the criteria of trading. Top existing tackle that could come in here and play for us right now. Jerry Jones said (H/T: FOX Sports) According to inside sources, Parsons had a $40 million deal on the table from the Cowboys. He declined to accept the terms. The Packers offered him a $47 million/year contract in exchange for two first-round picks and DT Kenny Clark. Clark is a three-time Pro Bowler with nine years of experience under his belt. However, he only logged 37 total tackles and 1 sack in 2024. Meanwhile, Parsons sacked NFL quarterbacks 12 times despite missing four games last year. Jerry Jones will continue to play hardball with player contracts Jones’ press conference following the trade explained his thought process that went into dealing with Parsons and his agent, or the lack of it. Will he take lessons and revise his way of handling player contracts? Unfortunately, Jerry Jones prefers dealing with players as if he’s negotiating in the 1990s. Quarterback Dak Prescott faced it, and so did CeeDee Lamb, Dez Bryant, and Emmitt Smith before them. And it’s likely to continue in 2026 when the Cowboys have to hold talks with DaRon Bland, Donovan Wilson, Dante Fowler Jr., CJ Goodwin, and a few others. There’s every possibility that these guys might experience the same as Parsons next year. So, what should they do when the time arrives? Jones, with a smirk on his face, said, “Ask Dak.” Prescott’s standoff lasted the entire 2024 offseason. He eventually signed a $61.5 million AAV deal to become the highest-paid quarterback ever. When you’re here in this organization, this is just how you see things are done, whether they’re right, wrong or whoever has their view about them. But what I think that does help is allow us just to stay focused on our jobs and understanding that us putting energy towards any of that doesn’t help. Dak Prescott said (H/T: Fansided) It’s unclear whether Prescott faced the same situation as Parsons or whether he was ever on the verge of a trade. Judging by the Pro Bowler’s latest statement, there may be hidden details that the Cowboys’ front office doesn’t want the general public to find out. Regardless, Parsons is no longer a Cowboy, which complicates their position in the NFC. With the Philadelphia Eagles waiting to host them in week one, they must quickly find another LB who can fill in until Clark gets the hang of Matt Eberflus’ defensive playbook.

Cubs' Craig Counsell earns most tame ejection of MLB season
MLB

Cubs' Craig Counsell earns most tame ejection of MLB season

Chicago Cubs manager Craig Counsell was ejected early in his team's game against the San Francisco Giants on Thursday, and home plate umpire David Rackley didn't put up with much before giving him the hook. Chicago had outfielder Ian Happ at the plate with a runner on first and one out in the top of the third inning at Oracle Park in San Francisco. Right fielder Kyle Tucker attempted to steal second on a 3-2 pitch in a tie game, but he was thrown out at second. The pitch was also called a strike, which ended the inning. Counsell felt that the ball had missed outside and came out of the dugout to state his case to Rackley, who was in no mood to hear it. Counsell was quickly dismissed from the game. The Cubs lost their first two games of the series against San Francisco and scored a combined five runs in those contests, so Counsell may have been trying to light a fire under his team. Though he seemed a bit surprised when Rackley ejected him. Chicago entered Thursday with a record of 76-57. Counsell's team was 6.5 games behind the Milwaukee Brewers in the NL Central but atop the NL wild-card standings.

Customize Your Newsletter

Yardbarker +

Get the latest news and rumors, customized to your favorite sports and teams. Emailed daily. Always free!