It’s a question that many Vancouver Canucks fans have started to wonder about: Will Quinn Hughes sign long term when he’s eligible for an extension next offseason? Jim Rutherford has a pretty outside-the-box idea on how to pull that off.
When answering a question about keeping the eldest Hughes brother in Vancouver long-term, the Canucks’ president of hockey operations said:
“The one thing that we will be sure of is that we will have enough cap space to offer him the kind of contract that he deserves. That’s the one thing we can prepare for. And it may not boil down to money with him. He’s said before he wants to play with his brothers, and that would be partly out of our control, in our control, if we brought his brothers here. So there’s many moving parts here. [I] agree 100% this franchise cannot afford to lose a guy like Quinn Hughes, and we will do everything we can to keep him here. But at the end of the day, it’ll be it’ll be his decision.”
When asked a follow up, if he’d seriously consider trading for the Hughes brothers, Rutherford said:
“Well, we got to be careful with tampering here, so we’ll just leave it at that. I probably crossed the line anyways.”
Here is the clip:
“He (Quinn Hughes) has said before he wants to play with his brothers. That would be partly out of our control. In our control if we brought his brothers here.” – Jim Rutherford
: Sportsnet pic.twitter.com/P2P0C0xjMd
— CanucksArmy (@CanucksArmy) April 21, 2025
Hughes will become eligible to sign a contract extension in July 2026, when he enters the final year of his current contract in Vancouver. When asked about his future on Friday, Hughes took the focus off of himself and said that everyone just wants to be part of a winning team.
“I think that everyone that’s here just wants to be a part of a winning team,” said Hughes. “I don’t think anyone’s too concerned about making me happy, just about being a successful organization. And I think that’s the main goal for everyone here. And definitely feel like we can do that.”
Jack Hughes is heading into year four of an eight-year deal with the Devils that sees him paid $8 million per season, while Luke is in need of a contract this summer after coming off of his entry-level contract. He is not offer sheet eligible.
Keep it locked on CanucksArmy all day for more news and reaction from management’s end of season media availability.
More must-reads:
Offensively, the Canadiens have a few certainties heading into next season. Some guys are “guaranteed” to be in the team’s top-9, and there are some logical names that come to mind. But there are also some uncertainties… and you’ll understand that I’m talking about the team’s center line. Nick Suzuki and Jake Evans are going to play center, that’s written in the sky, but what about the rest? Alex Newhook, Joe Veleno, Zachary Bolduc (?) and Oliver Kapanen (the latter could cause a surprise) can play center on a line… but when you look closely, it’s easy to see that the Habs don’t have much depth at center. And in the eyes of Travis Yost, who was on the Sick Podcast… it goes further: according to him, the Habs have the 2nd-worst center line in the entire National League, ahead of the Nashville Predators. That’s not ideal. [content-ads] It’s no secret. To win games, be dominant on the ice and make a run in the playoffs….good NHL clubs must have the luxury of a big line of centers. They’re the ones who control the game, and they’re often the centerpieces of a Stanley Cup contending team. Clearly, the Habs have a problem at the moment at this level, and that’s what’s worrying in a way. The Canadiens have high expectations after making the playoffs last year, but it may be difficult to compete with other clubs if they don’t improve at center before too long. That said, we saw the club make the playoffs last year with a line of centers “similar” to the one for next season. The club lost Christian Dvorak… but in the long term, this formula doesn’t work in the National League. Kent Hughes tried to find a second quality center to play in the top-6, but he didn’t succeed. As a result, the Habs have a pretty big hole at center… which could sink the team at any moment on the ice. [spacer title=’Overtime’] – Nice picture! – With good reason. – It’s going to get hot.
A heated post-match exchange between former World No. 5 Jelena Ostapenko and Taylor Townsend marred an otherwise action-filled fourth day of the U.S. Open on Wednesday. After Townsend defeated the 2017 French Open champion in straight sets, 7-5, 6-1, Ostapenko accused her opponent of unsportsmanlike conduct, pointing out that the American didn't apologize when a net cord helped her win a crucial point earlier in the match. The Latvian wrote on social media that Townsend "was very disrespectful" and didn't show the proper etiquette expected of a pro tennis player. "If she plays in her homeland, it doesn’t mean that she can behave and do whatever she wants," she wrote in a scathing address of Townsend. Townsend offered more details on their post-match confrontation, which led to some suggesting she was racially targeted. "She told me I have no class and no education, and to see what happens if we play each other outside the U.S.," Townsend revealed. Townsend refused to call Ostapenko a racist. "I didn't take it in that way," she said, via BBC. "But also that has been a stigma in our community of being not educated, and all of the things, when it's the furthest thing from the truth. Whether it had racial undertones or not, that's something she can speak on." Ostapenko was widely lambasted on social media, with even World No. 1 Aryna Sabalenka asking her to control her emotions. The under-attack Latvian responded to allegations of her being a racist, while reaffirming her stance on Townsend disrespecting her during the match. "I was never racist in my life and I respect all nations of people in the world, for me it doesn't matter where you come from," she wrote on social media. Townsend will next face Russian teenage prodigy Mirra Andreeva in the third round. The World No. 46 American is trying to reach the fourth round of her home major for the first time since 2019.
The Green Bay Packers completed a stunning trade for Micah Parsons on Thursday, landing the four-time Pro Bowler with an eye on finally winning another Super Bowl. Here are the winners and losers. Winner: Micah Parsons Stuck in a lengthy standoff with the Cowboys, Parsons signed a four-year, $188 million contract with the Packers. Becoming the highest-paid non-quarterback in NFL history can’t be anything other than a win. Also, he won’t hate the owner and management will know his first name. That’s a lot of winning. Winner: Jeff Hafley Jeff Hafley is a very good defensive coordinator. Last season, his defense finished in the top six in yards allowed and points allowed with his No. 1 cornerback on the sideline for more than half the season and his No. 1 pass rusher collecting only 7.5 sacks. Now, he’s been given arguably the best defensive player in the NFL. Parsons isn’t just a pass rusher. He’s an all-around standout capable of lining up at left end, right end and linebacker. He’s a chess piece. The last time the Packers had one of those, Charles Woodson helped lead the team to the Super Bowl. If the Packers make a run at the Super Bowl this year, Hafley might be a head coach somewhere next year. Winner: Rashan Gary Rashan Gary has been Green Bay’s best pass rusher since Za’Darius Smith’s disappearance. Thus, he’s always been targeted by opposing offensive coordinators, and that’s played a role in him not reaching double-digits sacks in his first six seasons. Gary might not see a double-team block the rest of his career. A really good player could be primed for that long-awaited breakout season. Winner: Edgerrin Cooper Edgerrin Cooper also is a chess piece for the Packers. Amazingly, he led all NFL rookies in tackles for losses last season, even while playing less than 50 percent of the snaps. A big-time playmaker, especially when put into attack mode, what will Cooper be able to do when he’s lined up right next to Parsons? The best rookie linebacker in the league last season might end this season considered the best linebacker in the league, period. “I feel great. Better than ever. Just ready to get to it,” Cooper said last week. “I’m just focused on playing my best ball and if things come like sacks and pressures, that’s great. I just want to make sure I give it all I got.” Winner: Nazir Stackhouse With Kenny Clark sent to Dallas in the trade, who’s going to stop the run? As an undrafted rookie, Stackhouse probably was going to start the season as the sixth defensive tackle. Heck, he might have been a healthy scratch to start the season. Without Clark, Stackhouse will be a mainstay on the defense and one of the team’s more important players. It’ll be up to him to take advantage of the opportunity. “I think a lot of us were very excited about him, that he could do that if called upon,” general manager Brian Gutekunst said on Wednesday. “He’s the same guy we saw at Georgia. You guys have seen him. He’s got excellent size, excellent power. He’s very hard to move off the spot. He made a lot of plays this camp where he held the point and was able to get across the guy’s face to make plays on the ball.” Winner: The Cornerbacks If diamonds are a girl’s best friend, a pass rush is a cornerback’s best friend. The Packers finished with the eighth-most sacks last season but the seventh-lowest pass-rush win rate, according to ESPN. The Packers will play a bunch of high-profile quarterbacks, including Jared Goff, Jayden Daniels, Dak Prescott and Joe Burrow in the first five games. Will Keisean Nixon, Nate Hobbs and Javon Bullard be up to the task? Who knows, but a strong pass rush would help. With the addition of Parsons, the Packers might have an elite pass rush. Loser: Run Defense The Packers’ run defense had been terrible under coach Matt LaFleur. From 2019 through 2023, the first five seasons of his tenure, Green Bay allowed a league-worst 4.66 yards per carry. In 2024, the Packers ranked third with 3.96 yards allowed per carry. In free agency, they lost TJ Slaton to the Bengals in free agency. In the trade, they lost Kenny Clark to the Cowboys. The team’s best run-stopping defensive tackles both started all 17 games last season. The five remaining defensive tackles have started a combined six games: five by Devonte Wyatt and one by Colby Wooden. Green Bay’s defensive ends – Parsons included – will stop the run. Will Wyatt and the rest of the defensive tackles prevent opponents from just running it up the gut 30 times a game? Loser: Brenton Cox, Barryn Sorrell, Collin Oliver The Packers have a surplus of defensive ends. It will be interesting to see how Jeff Hafley will deploy his personnel. On passing downs, it’ll be easy. Gary and Parsons will be the ends and Lukas Van Ness will move to defensive tackle. On running downs, once Parsons is acclimated, the Packers presumably will go with Gary and Parsons with the first unit and Kingsley Enagbare and Van Ness with the second unit. What does that mean for Brenton Cox, who had a strong training camp, and rookies Barryn Sorrell and Collin Oliver when they’re healthy? A lot of time on the bench, unless there’s another trade. Loser: Russ Ball Russ Ball is in charge of putting contracts together and keeping a healthy salary cap. Having successfully navigated the Packers through the challenges of the post-Aaron Rodgers era, the team was in decent shape for the next wave of challenges as their young core of players got closer to second contracts. Well, so much for Ball getting a chance to exhale. Jordan Love is one of the highest-paid quarterbacks in the NFL. Micah Parsons became the highest-paid defensive player in the NFL. Zach Tom got a huge contract extension. Aaron Banks got a huge contract in free agency. Xavier McKinney’s cap number will soar past $19 million next season. Looks like it’ll be time for Ball to grab the steel-toed boots and start kicking the salary-cap can down the road, because his job just got a lot more difficult. Loser: Future Free Agents That leads into this one. It’s going to be impossible to keep this young and talented team together. Here are the key free agents for the upcoming offseason (listed by percentage of playing time), which includes the 2022 draft class: Rasheed Walker, Sean Rhyan, Quay Walker, Romeo Doubs, Christian Watson, Kingsley Enagbare, Malik Willis. Here are the key players for the following season (listed by playing time again), which includes the 2023 draft class: Elgton Jenkins, Keisean Nixon, Tucker Kraft, Isaiah McDuffie, Jayden Reed, Dontayvion Wicks, Carrington Valentine, Karl Brooks, Lukas Van Ness, Devonte Wyatt, Colby Wooden, Luke Musgrave. You can’t pay everyone. That’s going to be especially true for the Packers. Even if you deem most of those players expendable, someone’s got to play those snaps. And now the Packers will have fewer draft picks and almost no cap dollars to replace them.
Keegan Bradley has finalised his Ryder Cup selections, naming the six players who will join the automatic qualifiers for Team USA. The team is now set after Bradley announced his picks for Bethpage Black, and he did not include himself in the squad. Despite a solid PGA Tour year, the 39-year-old golfer finished 11th in the rankings, just missing automatic qualification. He therefore chose to focus on his captaincy duties rather than chasing a playing spot. Justin Thomas and Collin Morikawa also missed out on automatic qualification but were later added by Bradley. Keegan Bradley admits he found it tough to leave Maverick McNealy out of his Ryder Cup squad Maverick McNealy was one of the players who missed out on a spot, and Bradley addressed that shortly after announcing his selections. He said: “Very, very difficult call to Mav. Incredible kid, played well all year long. I was very upfront with the guys that hadn’t made the team. “You really have to make the team on points in your first team, it’s really difficult to get a pick in your first team event. “I made that very clear to him and he still played great. I played with him a bunch of times this year and I was really impressed with his game. “I told him it’s okay to be angry, I left these calls really angry most times. You can use this as fuel. I said please be angry with me and make the next team. Make Brandt’s [Snedeker] Presidents Cup team. “I used it as fuel for most my career and I advised Mav to do the same thing because he made a great run at making this team and ultimately that was a really tough decision.” Maverick McNealy’s PGA Tour form in 2025 McNealy had the Ryder Cup on his radar throughout the season, but fell just short of earning a place under Bradley. The 29-year-old has one PGA Tour win to his name, having taken The RSM Classic title in 2024. He nearly added another this year, finishing runner-up at The Genesis Invitational. Ludvig Aberg ended up taking the win at Torrey Pines, edging out McNealy by just one stroke. McNealy’s exclusion from this year’s team, as Bradley pointed out, could motivate him to strive for future selections. Next month, the Ryder Cup returns to New York, with the hosts looking to reclaim the trophy from Team Europe. McNealy finished 10th in American qualification, ahead of Bradley.
Get the latest news and rumors, customized to your favorite sports and teams. Emailed daily. Always free!