
It sure seems as if the Pittsburgh Steelers are waiting on four-time NFL MVP Aaron Rodgers to make his decision.
After being cut by the Jets earlier this offseason, the 41-year-old quarterback is in the process of mulling over his NFL future. Retirement is an option, as it has been ever since his final season with the Green Bay Packers. If he plays in 2025, though, it seems likely he ends up with the Steelers.
If Rodgers does decide to hang up his future Hall of Fame cleats, ESPN's Adam Schefter feels the Steelers do have a second option at quarterback not named Mason Rudolph or Will Howard, who they selected out of Ohio State in the sixth round of the 2025 NFL Draft.
Kirk Cousins is still under contract with the Atlanta Falcons (through 2027), but they've moved on to Michael Penix Jr. as their starter. If the Falcons decide to trade Cousins, and they should certainly consider it, there's only one more team in the NFL that could be looking for a starter right now, and that's the Steelers.
That is, of course, if Rodgers doesn't decide to go to the Steel City, according to Schefter.
"The only option there is right now for Kirk Cousins is the Pittsburgh Steelers," Schefter said on his Tuesday podcast (h/t Bleacher Report). "And that's if Aaron Rodgers doesn't sign with Pittsburgh by his choice. Because the Steelers are waiting for Aaron Rodgers to sign on the dotted line. It sounds like Aaron Rodgers is going to sign on the dotted line."
While Schefter does expect Rodgers to end up with the Steelers, he did say that Cousins would become their primary target if the Packers legend decides not to play in 2025.
Notably, the Falcons will have to pay Cousins $27.5 million in 2025 in base salary alone, so they do have reason to try to trade him. He's a really expensive backup quarterback.
It's also worth noting that Falcons general manager Terry Fontenot did recently address the idea of trading Cousins. Atlanta is open to that idea, or any idea really, as long as the trade makes sense.
"We’re always patient with those types of things because if something comes to us with Kirk or any other player that makes sense and it’s going to help this team, then we’re going to be aggressive and we’re going to do it," Fontenot said on "Mad Dog Sports Radio" (h/t Pro Football Talk). And if it’s not something that’s going to ultimately help this team, we always have to ask that question: Is it the best for the Atlanta Falcons or this organization? And if it is, we’re going to be willing to do it. But all that communication is always ongoing.”
More must-reads:
Fresh off a Thanksgiving win on Thursday against the Detroit Lions on the road at Ford Field in Detroit, the Green Bay Packers made a notable move to reunite with kicker Lucas Havrisik. Green Bay parted ways with Havrisik just before the Lions game, but on Friday, the team announced that he’s back in the fold after getting signed to the practice squad roster. Via Green Bay’s official website: “The Green Bay Packers signed K Lucas Havrisik (HAVE-ruh-sick) to the practice squad. General Manager Brian Gutekunst announced the transaction Friday.” Lucas Havrisik insurance for now for the Packers It can be recalled that Havrisik saw action in three games in the 2025 NFL season for Green Bay in place of the then-injured Brandon McManus. In those games, the former Arizona Wildcats kicker went 4-for-4 on his field goals, including a franchise record-setting 61-yard make in Week 7’s 27-23 win in Glendale over the Arizona Cardinals. He was also 7-for-9 on extra-point attempts, with both misses happening in Week 11’s 27-20 victory against the New York Giants at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford. McManus is healthy and perfect in the two games since he returned to action, so there is no reason for the Packers to give his spot to someone else so Havrisik will just be insurance for now for Green Bay, which has a Week 14 date with the Chicago Bears at Lambeau Field.
Mr. Smile apparently wasn’t smiling too much about one of his teammates last season. New York Mets shortstop Francisco Lindor had a "heated confrontation" with teammate Jeff McNeil last June, Mike Puma of the New York Post reported on Friday. Puma writes that Lindor began verbally attacking McNeil on June 20 over a defensive lapse that McNeil had during that day’s game against the Philadelphia Phillies. The confrontation, which was only verbal and never got physical, came in the midst of a seven-game losing streak by the Mets at the time. Puma also reports that the flashy Lindor clashed personalities during the year with the business-like Juan Soto during the season as well. Interestingly enough, the five-time All-Star Lindor also had a confrontation with McNeil in the dugout during a game in the 2021 MLB season. That confrontation did turn physical, and Lindor later offered an extremely unconvincing excuse for the incident. Meanwhile, the incident last June underscored the Mets’ struggles to get on the same page with one another during the 2025 campaign. Despite having a mammoth $342 million payroll, the Mets completely collapsed in the final weeks of the season and missed the playoffs altogether. Now there are rumors that the Mets could make some big changes this offseason, including a potential trade of McNeil. After another apparent confrontation between the veteran utilityman and the four-time Silver Slugger Award winner Lindor, it is clear that something is not quite working right now in that clubhouse.
Both the Boston Red Sox and New York Yankees enter 2026 with well-positioned rosters capable of making a run, but each faces the challenge of addressing two high-profile free agents. Outfielder Cody Bellinger and infielder Alex Bregman are both in need of new deals or replacements. Both are represented by agent Scott Boras as they look to secure contracts this offseason. Each is coming off a strong year. Bellinger posted a .272 batting average, a .334 on-base percentage, an .813 OPS, 29 home runs and 98 RBI across 152 games while providing elite defense in the outfield for the Yankees. Bregman, in his 2025 season with Boston, recorded a .273 batting average, .360 on-base percentage, .821 OPS, 18 home runs and 62 RBIs in 114 games. Both Bellinger and Bregman joined their respective teams in 2025, and with free agency now underway, last season could prove to be their only year in pinstripes or with the Red Sox. As Bregman and Bellinger enter the offseason, their focus has shifted toward staying healthy and sharpening their skills for 2026. Neither player is on an active roster, yet both have made it clear they are committed to maintaining peak condition while navigating free agency. In recent weeks, the two stars have been spotted training in Arizona, appearing to work out together or at least at the same facility. Their offseason program has been highlighted by sessions with Nemesis Baseball, a sports performance community that promotes itself on Instagram as “Sports Performance community for those who seek to reach their full potential / Built By Athletes For Athletes.” Bregman and Bellinger recently shared photos of their workouts, giving fans a glimpse into the intensity of their preparation. The posts quickly drew attention, not only for the training itself but also for the interaction between the two free agents. Bregman responded to Bellinger’s post with a simple message, “Dialed .” This interaction comes after a report from Mark Feinsand of MLB.com predicting Bellinger's next team. According to Feinsand, "New York is the clear favorite to sign Bellinger." While the Yankees appear positioned to retain their star outfielder, Bregman’s future is less certain. The Red Sox have expressed interest in bringing him back, but they have not yet been identified as clear front-runners, leaving open the possibility that Boston could lose its veteran infielder after just one season. Over the course of their careers, both players have built impressive track records that place them among the most decorated stars of their era. Bregman has been named to three All-Star teams, won two World Series titles with the Houston Astros, collected a Gold Glove and a Silver Slugger and earned All-Star Game MVP honors. Bellinger’s accolades include National League MVP, Rookie of the Year, two All-Star selections, a Gold Glove, two Silver Sluggers and a World Series championship with the Dodgers in 2020. His best years came in Los Angeles, while Bregman’s peak was with the Astros. Both were key figures in the 2017 sign-stealing scandal, yet that chapter appears behind them, as they now train together and show genuine camaraderie.
When the Montreal Canadiens set off for their midwestern road trip, they recalled an extra defenceman from the Laval Rocket of the American Hockey League (AHL). Since they have been playing with a man short on the 23-man roster, they usually do this for every road trip. The difference this time is that in the past, they would recall Marc Del Gazio; this time, however, they recalled Adam Engstrom, which raised many eyebrows and sparked much speculation about what general manager Kent Hughes has in mind. Canadiens Recall Engstrom for Western Road Trip The Canadiens recalled Engstrom for the road trip after he had a phenomenal game against the Belleville Senators, where he had a goal and four assists in a 7-2 victory. The fact that he was recalled right after his best professional game could be a sign that the Canadiens wanted to reward him for his play, but it could also have a deeper meaning. As mentioned earlier, the Habs usually recall Del Gazio for road trips as the seventh defenceman; this has happened twice before. The fact that they promoted Engstrom and then played him in the first game after his recall could mean they want to showcase him to other teams and maybe have him available for a trade. Engstrom played in the first game on the trip against the Utah Mammoth and played well. Nothing exciting, but he didn’t look out of place, with one shot and just under 11 minutes of ice time, while replacing Arber Xhekaj, who was a healthy scratch. With the team extending Mike Matheson for five years at $30 million, they have created a logjam on defence with an overabundance of talented defencemen fighting for spots in Montreal. Recalling and playing Engstrom can be seen in two ways: showcasing him to other teams or assessing how he fits into the Canadiens’ system and where he should be in the lineup. Given that, until 2031, the top three spots will be Matheson, Noah Dobson and Lane Hutson, it might be hard for an offence-skilled playmaker like Engstrom to get the ice time he needs to succeed in Montreal. Canadiens Involved in Many Trade Rumours When the Canadiens defeated the Toronto Maple Leafs 5-2 at the Bell Centre, there were many scouts in attendance, mainly from the Nashville Predators and the St. Louis Blues. This makes sense, knowing that the Habs are connected to a few players from both teams in trade rumours. The Blues are reportedly shopping Jordan Kyrou, who Montreal had interest in before the season started. The Predators have been rumoured to be looking to move centers Steve Stamkos and Ryan O’Reilly as they try to clear up cap space. Since the Canadiens already made a trade with the Blues for Zachary Bolduc, trading for Kyrou seems a bit redundant, considering they are both wingers. Trading for Stamkos or O’Reilly makes more sense since the Habs are still trying to fill their number two center void, and both players could fit in there for the short term. Engstrom could be part of any deal for any of those players; the asking price for O’Reilly has been reported as a first-round pick and a top prospect. If Engstrom falls into that category, he could be part of a deal for O’Reilly. Playing him in Montreal could also show they are willing to move on from one of their other defencemen, such as Xhekaj, Jayden Struble, or injury-prone Kaiden Guhle. The Candiens also have many defencemen in their system that project to be NHL players, like David Reinbacher, William Trudeau, Bogdan Konyushkov, Owen Protz and Bryce Pickford. The team is left-handed heavy, and moving a left-handed defenceman makes the most sense, plus it’s a move from a position of strength. Canadiens fans shouldn’t be shocked if the Habs move a young defender and pick up a coveted second-line center by the Christmas deadline of Dec. 20. The question is, who will it be? Let me know your thoughts.
+
Get the latest news and rumors, customized to your favorite sports and teams. Emailed daily. Always free!




