
The Boston Red Sox lost one of their best players this offseason when they failed to re-sign Alex Bregman in free agency, and many fans are angry that the team allowed its star third baseman to leave.
The latest comments from Red Sox president and CEO Sam Kennedy only added to that frustration. Bregman signed a five-year, $175M contract with the Chicago Cubs in January. The deal includes a full no-trade clause. There have been reports that the Red Sox refused to match the offer and were particularly reluctant to give Bregman a no-trade clause, which is why the 31-year-old left.
On Sunday, Kennedy was asked about losing Bregman to the Cubs. He began by praising the three-time MLB All-Star.
"We're so grateful to Alex Bregman and what he meant to us. But, look, in the end when you have choices the way he did, you work really hard to be in a position to become a free agent and perform at that level," Kennedy said. "He chose a different path and we wish him well. We're looking forward to seeing him at the end of the season at Fenway."
Kennedy was then asked if the Red Sox have an organizational policy to not give out full or partial no-trade clauses. He brushed the question off and said it was Bregman's choice to leave.
"No. Look, if Alex Bregman wanted to be here, ultimately he'd be here," Kennedy replied.
Sam Kennedy says if Alex Bregman wanted to be with the Red Sox, he’d still be here. pic.twitter.com/P7KhzwhMxZ
— Tyler Milliken (@tylermilliken_) February 15, 2026
Kennedy's remarks rang hollow for many fans. Bregman had said he wanted to remain in Boston, and he likely would have re-signed with the Red Sox had they matched Chicago's offer. It is always true that it is a player's choice whether to re-sign with a team or pursue a new opportunity, but most people would agree that the Red Sox did not do enough to keep their Gold Glove third baseman.
Bregman posted a .273/.360/.462 slash line with 18 homers and 28 doubles over his 495 plate appearances last season. He is an outstanding defensive third baseman, and the Red Sox have preached wanting to win with pitching and defense. They sacrificed some power in favor of defense and financial flexibility when they traded Rafael Devers to the San Francisco Giants last year.
Had the Red Sox re-signed Bregman, fans would likely be pleased with the offseason thus far. The comments Kennedy made will do nothing to dispel the notion that Boston has gotten cheap in recent years.
More must-reads:
+
Get the latest news and rumors, customized to your favorite sports and teams. Emailed daily. Always free!