
Shortly after the 2025 New York Mets endured a brutal collapse that ended with them missing the playoffs, reports surfaced detailing alleged clubhouse issues that impacted the team throughout the season.
One story noted that star shortstop Francisco Lindor and outfielder Juan Soto had a "chilly" relationship after Soto signed his 15-year, $765M contract to join the Mets last offseason, in part because "Lindor and Soto got off on the wrong foot when Lindor did not call [Soto] and welcome him to the team" in December 2024.
While speaking with reporters on Sunday, Soto addressed whether he and Lindor are on the same page in the early days of spring training.
"I think it’s a great relationship," Soto said while speaking about Lindor, per Laura Albanese of Newsday. "We talk all the time in the game and everything. We help each other."
Whatever happened behind the scenes with the 2025 Mets, team president of baseball operations David Stearns took significant steps to ensure history wouldn't repeat itself this year. The Mets moved on from star closer Edwin Diaz, first baseman Pete Alonso, outfielder Brandon Nimmo and utility man Jeff McNeil in different ways. Now on the roster are third baseman Bo Bichette, first baseman Jorge Polanco, second baseman Marcus Semien, centerfielder Luis Robert Jr., ace right-hander Freddy Peralta and relievers Devin Williams and Luke Weaver.
Soto seemed to choose his words carefully when he was asked what went wrong for the Mets last year.
"It’s in the past," Soto said. "We forget about it. We’ll focus on 2026."
Soto also challenged his teammates to "have fun, forget about all the drama and everything, focus on the game and win some ballgames."
Life will be somewhat different for Soto during his second season with the Mets, as he's moving from right field to left field. He previously played in left field during stints with the Washington Nationals and the San Diego Padres.
"Whatever is going to help the team, I’m open to do it," Soto said about the shift, per Alex Smith of SNY. "I always work hard on defense. I’m definitely going back to a place that I’m familiar with. I’m gonna feel comfortable there. I’m just going to work on my routes and work on the throws again, and I think I’ll be ready to go. I think it’s going to be great for the team, great for the guys who are going to play right field, guys who have been there."
Prospect Carson Benge could emerge as the Mets' Opening Day starting right fielder. On Sunday, Soto shared that he has "heard nothing but good things about" Benge, who is known as "a great athlete."
Soto may find himself mentoring Benge when the Mets begin the season with a series versus the Pittsburgh Pirates on March 26.
More must-reads:
+
Get the latest news and rumors, customized to your favorite sports and teams. Emailed daily. Always free!