Yardbarker
x
Raiders may have already decided between Mendoza, Jackson
Baltimore Ravens quarterback Lamar Jackson. Barry Reeger-Imagn Images

Raiders may have already decided between Fernando Mendoza, Ravens' Lamar Jackson

Since late December, stories have linked a Las Vegas Raiders team that could make Indiana Hoosiers quarterback Fernando Mendoza the first overall pick of the 2026 NFL Draft with star Baltimore Ravens signal-caller Lamar Jackson. 

Such chatter has led to speculation that those running the Ravens may not want to sign Jackson to an expensive contract extension this offseason. Nevertheless, it appears the Raiders have already made their choice between the two quarterbacks. 

Tom Brady has made Fernando Mendoza, Lamar Jackson choice? 

"The Las Vegas Raiders are determined to draft Indiana quarterback Fernando Mendoza with the first overall pick, rebuffing all trade offers," NFL insider Jason La Canfora of SportsBoom reported on Wednesday. "The team sees Mendoza as the top prospect and plans to pair him with rookie head coach Klint Kubiak. Other teams are aware that the Raiders have no intention of giving up the pick, as securing a franchise quarterback is a top priority for new minority owner Tom Brady."

For an article posted on Monday, The Athletic's Nick Baumgardner wrote that Mendoza is viewed as a "rare QB prospect who is mentally and physically tough enough to handle the ups and downs that can come with starting on a bad team, while also being the centerpiece as that team grows from young to polished." Meanwhile, Jackson is coming off a down season that featured the two-time Most Valuable Player being limited to 13 starts due to physical setbacks. 

That said, some previously wondered if Brady would prefer to have a proven commodity such as Jackson over a to-be-tested rookie such as Mendoza. It sounds like Brady has no concerns about what Mendoza will be as a pro. 

Will Fernando Mendoza be Raiders' Joe Burrow? 

"You aren’t getting that pick from Brady," one unnamed general manager told La Canfora. "It’s not for sale. Mendoza is their guy. It’s like when (Bengals owner) Mike Brown had the first pick and (Joe) Burrow was coming out. They weren’t going to move that pick. Same thing here." 

A different general manager suggested that it could take at least three first-round draft picks to convince the Raiders to trade what will likely become the Mendoza selection. 

"Other front offices are already starting to operate as if Mendoza, who won the Heisman Trophy as the nation’s top college player, is off the table," La Canfora added. 

As for Jackson, questions about his long-term future will hover over the Ravens until the two sides announce that they have come to terms on an extension. 

Zac Wassink

Zac Wassink is a longtime sports news writer and PFWA member who began his career in 2006 and has had his work featured on Yardbarker, MSN, Yahoo Sports and Bleacher Report. He is also a football and futbol aficionado who is probably yelling about Tottenham Hotspur at the moment and who chanted for Matt Harvey to start the ninth inning of Game 5 of the 2015 World Series at Citi Field. You can find him on X at @ZacWassink

More must-reads:

Customize Your Newsletter

Yardbarker +

Get the latest news and rumors, customized to your favorite sports and teams. Emailed daily. Always free!