Pep Guardiola believes that Vincent Kompany will one day take his job and become manager of Manchester City.
Kompany spent 11 seasons at City as a player, including eight as club captain, and was later immortalized in 2021 when a statue of him was unveiled at the Etihad Stadium.
The 37-year-old Belgian was back in Manchester on Wednesday night when his Burnley side lost 3-1 against Guardiola's City.
Julian Alvarez scored twice for City on his 24th birthday before Rodri made it 3-0 early in the second half.
Ameen Al-Dakhil bundled home a late consolation goal for Burnley.
Speaking to BBC Sport after the game, Guardiola praised Kompany and the way he set up his Burnley outfit.
"Burnley is not an easy team to face, they never give up," said Guardiola. "Today, we won because of the quality of players we have, not because we controlled everything or were better at all aspects.
"I have the feeling Burnley did not get the result they deserved to take.
"Vinny sooner or later will finish here. I have the feeling that he will finish here. He is already a big manager, what he did last season with Burnley.
"You can see the ideas they have, the way they try to defend. I like what he does."
Kompany has been in charge at Turf Moor since June 2022 when he returned to England following a 96-game spell as Anderlecht manager.
In his first season with Burnley, Kompany won the EFL Championship with 101 points - only four teams have ever earned more points in a single season in England's second tier.
However, Wednesday's defeat left Burnley 19th in the Premier League table - seven points below Luton in 17th.
Kompany is adamant that his team can still stay up, though.
It's Burnley Football Club," he said bullishly. "It's 101 points in the Championship last year. It's six years survival in the Premier League with definitely the lowest budget for all those years.
"We'll find a way, we keep grafting and going. There's enough drive in the club to keep pushing ourselves. We're definitely not going to give anything up."
More must-reads:
The 2025-26 UEFA Champions League draw is officially set. After spending many decades leveraging a traditional group system, the Champions League recently switched to a new "league" format. In this system, the 32 teams of the Champions League will each play eight matches — four at home and four away — in the opening phase of the tournament. These eight matches will be balanced on difficulty, with each team getting two games against "top" opponents, four against "middle" opponents and two against "bottom" opponents, regardless of their own standing. After all eight games have finished, the top eight teams on results will move directly into the knockout phase of the tournament. The next 16 best teams will face off against one another in a two-legged playoff; the winners of these playoffs will join the top eight in the knockout rounds. The league phase draw brought up many fascinating questions and permutations for the 2025-26 tournament. Here are the three key takeaways from the schedule as we prepare for the Champions League to begin: Fans won't have to wait for headlining matches; there are plenty in the opening league phase When the Champions League transitioned from a traditional group stage format to its current "league phase" model last season, the intention was that more high-profile matches would be available earlier in the competition than ever before. That idea has paid off. Liverpool is set to host Real Madrid — now featuring ex-Liverpool legend Trent Alexander-Arnold — in the league phase. Tottenham Hotspur will travel to Paris Saint-Germain in a rematch of this year's Super Cup final. And Bayern Munich will head back to Arsenal... pitting former Spurs man Harry Kane against the Gunners once again. Far-flung debutants will force several teams into grueling travel Champions League travel, constrained as it is to the European continent, has never been that taxing. (It's nothing compared to the distances American teams cover during their regular seasons.) But this year's edition of the Champions League features several fascinating debutant clubs whose locations will stretch the limits of European travel — and likely exhaust their high-profile opponents. Norway's Bodo/Glimt, a fan favorite side whose home stadium sits above the Arctic Circle, will welcome Manchester City, Juventus, Tottenham Hotspur and AS Monaco to its icy turf this winter. (No, its stadium is not covered, and yes, it will be a glorious mess to watch Europe's best attempt to survive its brutal weather.) Azerbaijan's Qarabag will bring Chelsea, Frankfurt, Ajax and Copenhagen to the far western shores of the Caspian Sea. And in a shocking twist that will see the biggest travel distances in Champions League history, Kazakhstan's Kairat Almaty will host Real Madrid, Club Brugge, Olympiakos and Pafos at its home in the Central Asian Steppe. Almaty is in far eastern Kazakhstan and shares a longitudinal line with India's capital, New Delhi. Real Madrid will cover nearly 8,000 air miles on its round-trip journey there: that's the equivalent of crossing the continental U.S. three times. There are three USMNT-heavy matchups to look forward to There are seven Americans scattered among the 32 teams of the Champions League this season, and several of them are set to face off against one another during the opening phase of the tournament. Fans of the USMNT should mark their calendars for these three matches, all of which feature American players on both sides of the field: PSV vs. Atletico Madrid (defender Sergiño Dest and striker Ricardo Pepi vs. midfielder Johnny Cardoso), PSV vs. Bayer Leverkusen (Dest and Pepi vs. attacking midfielder Malik Tillman) and Monaco vs. Juventus (striker Folarin Balogun vs. midfielder Weston McKennie). Marseille's Tim Weah, the one remaining American in the Champions League, will not face off against any of his countrymen... but he will face off against the likes of Liverpool and Real Madrid during his Champions League journey. The 2025-26 UEFA Champions League will kick off on Tuesday, Sept. 16.
The Dallas Cowboys’ stunning trade of Micah Parsons to the Green Bay Packers sent shockwaves through the NFL, but the silver lining arrived Thursday afternoon in the form of three-time Pro Bowl defensive tackle Kenny Clark. The veteran immediately took to social media to share his excitement about joining America’s Team, posting a video of himself smiling widely on his private jet bound for Dallas. Clark’s enthusiasm was infectious as he documented his journey to Big D, clearly thrilled about the opportunity to anchor the Cowboys’ defensive line. The timing couldn’t be more crucial, with the regular season opener against the Super Bowl champion Philadelphia Eagles just days away. This trade represents more than just a player swap—it’s a strategic move that could redefine Dallas’ defensive identity for years to come. Kenny Clark Lands in Dallas: A New Chapter The social media post that captured Cowboys fans’ attention showed Clark beaming with excitement as his plane approached Dallas. His genuine enthusiasm reflects a player who understands the magnitude of joining one of the NFL’s most storied franchises. The timing of his arrival creates immediate pressure, but Clark’s veteran experience suggests he’s ready for the challenge. Clark’s journey to Dallas represents a fresh start for both player and team. After eight seasons in Green Bay, he brings championship pedigree and playoff experience that the Cowboys desperately need. His presence immediately fills a void that has plagued Dallas for years—reliable interior pass rush and run defense from the nose tackle position. The defensive tackle market has been historically thin, making Clark’s acquisition even more valuable. Teams rarely trade established defensive linemen of Clark’s caliber, especially during their prime years. The fact that Dallas secured his services as part of the Parsons package deal represents exceptional value in an era where quality interior defensive linemen command premium compensation. What Kenny Clark Brings to the Dallas Cowboys Clark’s resume speaks volumes about his capabilities and potential impact in Dallas. His three Pro Bowl selections demonstrate consistent excellence at one of football’s most demanding positions. Last season alone, he recorded 37 tackles, nine run stuffs, two forced fumbles, and a sack while anchoring Green Bay’s defensive front. The 2023 campaign showcased Clark’s pass-rushing prowess with a career-high 7.5 sacks, proving his ability to disrupt opposing quarterbacks from the interior. This dual-threat capability—stopping the run and rushing the passer—makes him invaluable in today’s NFL where defensive tackles must excel in multiple areas. Clark’s physical attributes perfectly suit the Cowboys’ defensive scheme. At 6-foot-3 and 314 pounds, he possesses the size and strength to command double teams while maintaining the athleticism to pursue ball carriers sideline to sideline. His quick first step and powerful hands allow him to shed blocks and make plays in both run and pass situations. Beyond statistics, Clark brings intangible qualities that often go unnoticed. His leadership experience from Green Bay’s playoff runs provides valuable mentorship for younger Cowboys defenders. His work ethic and professionalism set standards that elevate entire position groups, qualities particularly important for a franchise seeking to establish a winning culture. How Clark Fits into Dallas’ Defensive Plans The Cowboys’ defensive transformation begins with Clark’s presence in the middle of their defensive line. His ability to anchor against powerful running attacks addresses a glaring weakness that opponents have exploited for seasons. Interior defensive line play directly impacts every other defensive position, from linebacker mobility to secondary coverage effectiveness. Clark’s pass-rushing skills complement the Cowboys’ existing edge rushers perfectly. By demanding attention from interior offensive linemen, he creates favorable one-on-one matchups for Dallas’ outside pass rushers. This symbiotic relationship could unlock production from other defensive players who previously faced constant double teams. The defensive tackle’s versatility allows coordinator Mike Zimmer flexibility in game planning. Clark can line up anywhere across the defensive front, from nose tackle in base defenses to three-technique in passing situations. This positional flexibility enables Dallas to deploy varied looks that keep offensive coordinators guessing. Run defense improvement represents Clark’s most immediate impact. His ability to occupy multiple blockers frees linebackers to make plays at the second level. This improved run stopping capability forces opponents into obvious passing situations, allowing the Cowboys’ pass rushers to pin their ears back and attack. The Timing Factor Clark’s arrival couldn’t come at a better time for Dallas. With the regular season beginning in less than a week, his veteran presence provides immediate stability to a defense facing questions about its identity post-Parsons. His experience in high-pressure situations, including playoff games and divisional matchups, brings calm leadership to a potentially tumultuous transition. The Eagles matchup in Week 1 will test Clark immediately against one of the NFL’s most physical offensive lines. Philadelphia’s commitment to running the football makes Clark’s presence even more crucial, as his ability to neutralize interior running lanes could dictate the game’s outcome. Kenny Clark’s arrival in Dallas represents more than just a roster addition—it’s a statement about the Cowboys’ commitment to building a championship-caliber defense. His social media excitement reflects a player ready to embrace the challenge of playing for America’s Team, and Cowboys fans have every reason to share that enthusiasm.
Adam Peters has already disposed of one draft pick under his leadership. The Washington Commanders won't hesitate to send more to the fringes if they aren't meeting the required standard. Peters is a ruthless roster builder. The general manager doesn't adopt any sentiment to his decision-making process, and always puts the team's best interests at the forefront. Anyone needing further proof of just how far he will go should examine his approach to wide receiver Terry McLaurin's contract standoff. There were some hidden signs when Peters trimmed down his roster from 90 to the required 53. A loud message was sent in no uncertain terms to one draft pick who is still fighting for relevancy entering Year 2 of his professional career. Commanders need more from Ben Sinnott, or they'll seek it from Colson Yankoff Flashing for Ben Sinnott won't be enough this time around. The 2024 second-round selection didn't make much of an impact as a rookie. Washington had the luxury of bringing him along gradually thanks to the presence of Pro Bowler Zach Ertz and John Bates, who is emerging as one of the league's most dominant blockers at the position. Ertz and Bates are both back. More is expected of Sinnott, but another anonymous preseason did nothing to diminish concerns about just how much he is ready for. Actions speak louder than words. Most fans thought the Commanders might only take three tight ends onto the squad this year, especially with the surplus of wide receivers. Peters had something else in mind, keeping Colson Yankoff on the team and moving forward with only five wideouts. Yankoff deserves his spot. He rose from obscurity as an undrafted free agent last year, and the progress has been notable this offseason. The UCLA product also flashed a lot more than Sinnott when opportunities came his way. That hasn't given him the No. 3 tight end spot just yet, but the highly-touted prospect would be wise to raise performance levels to cement his status. The Commanders still think Sinnott has something to offer. He demonstrates impressive qualities as a blocker and boasts enough athleticism to make his presence felt in the passing game. But there will come a time when potential is not enough. Sinnott must deliver on his pre-draft promise. It doesn't matter that he was a second-rounder and Yankoff didn't hear his name called. If the unheralded player outperforms the one with loftier expectations, that's all part of the business. The time to step up has arrived for Sinnott. And the added urgency is there for all to see. More Commanders news and analysis
The New York Knicks have a strong backcourt as is, but could use one more playmaker should injuries plague their roster next season. Knicks: Monte Morris is a logical option in free agency Among the options remaining in unrestricted free agency is Monte Morris. A reliable backup veteran floor general of his ilk could service New York well. Morris averages 9.5 points with an uber-efficient shooting line of 47.4 percent from the field, 38.9 percent from three-point range, topped off with 82.7 percent from the free throw line for his career. The Iowa State product averaged 5.3 assists per game in 2022-23. He hovers just below four APG for his career. A playoff-tested Morris is what the Knicks need With 57 games of postseason experience under his belt, Morris can bring veteran leadership to New York’s locker room. He also dictates the pace well on the court. Though the Knicks were a noticeably good passing team last season, the ball club does not have another volume passer behind All-NBA point guard Jalen Brunson, though Jordan Clarkson is an elite scorer off the bench. Miles McBride is a promising two-way guard alongside him. Thus, Morris would be a quintessential depth option for New York to house. Should his number be called at any point in the season, he’d be a piece that could start or play substantive minutes off the bench.
Get the latest news and rumors, customized to your favorite sports and teams. Emailed daily. Always free!