Shortly after UEFA confirmed in late May it had opened disciplinary proceedings against Real Madrid, Barcelona and Juventus for their continued involvement with the European Super League abandoned by the project's other nine founding teams, La Liga president and UEFA Executive Committee member Javier Tebas said the governing body could ban those three clubs from next season's Champions League competition.
That won't be the case.
Reuters (h/t Sky Sports) reported Tuesday that UEFA suspended its probe last week after being notified by Swiss authorities of a court order from the commercial court in Madrid acquired by the organization European Super League Company SL. As a result, Real Madrid, Barcelona and Juventus are among the clubs that have received admission letters for the 2021-22 UEFA Champions League.
Manchester City, Chelsea, AC Milan, Arsenal, Atletico Madrid, Inter Milan, Liverpool, Manchester United and Tottenham Hotspur all previously withdrew from the controversial Super League following fan backlash and threats of financial punishments and expulsion from UEFA competitions. Last week, reports emerged the six Premier League clubs agreed to pay a combined fine of £22 million for joining the breakaway league.
Earlier stories said such fine money would go "to benefit children, youth and grassroots football."
Sky Sports had reported the three holdout teams still linked with the Super League could be locked out of all UEFA competitions for up to two years before Tuesday's development.