Yardbarker
x
Jim Ross Re-Signs with AEW, Dismisses WWE Return Rumors
WWE
  • Jim Ross re-signed a one-year AEW deal through next August; he's on a part-time, PPV-focused schedule.
  • He re-signed after discussions with Tony Khan in London and feels strongly included in AEW plans.
  • Rumors of a WWE return dismissed; he prefers current freedom but remains open to the right idea.

Legendary pro-wrestling commentator Jim Ross revealed on the latest episode of his podcast, Grilling JR, that he signed a new one-year contract with AEW, which squashes all the WWE rumors. The deal will run until next August. The wrestling icon seems to be pretty happy about the new deal, and from the sounds of it, it's because he feels needed in the company.

Jim Ross On Why He Re-Signed With AEW

While sharing that information, Ross spoke about why he re-signed with the promotion. It helped him decide because he spent a lot of time with AEW CEO Tony Khan in London, and they got to talk about his contract. Last Sunday, AEW was in London for its Forbidden Door pay-per-view. He said:

“I’m happy with my deal. I’m happy to go back to working with Tony [Khan]. Tony and I spent a lot of time together in London [during Forbidden Door] and talking about my deal and what his plans were for me. I’m still figured in very strongly. And to go do the pay-per-views is quite the opportunity. And the fact that I’m able to recharge my batteries and not just drive myself to a nub — it’s all good stuff, man.” (h/t: F4Wonline)

At the moment, he’s on a part-time schedule and works mostly during the pay-per-views. This past May, Ross had been diagnosed with colon cancer and was going through surgery. At the end of June, Ross said he was cancer-free, and in July, he made his return to the broadcast table for All In: Texas.

Jim Ross Comments On The WWE Rumors

Even though he had said in the past that he was happy with All Elite Wrestling and hoping to re-sign, there were still online rumors that he was going back to WWE. He also discussed those rumors on his podcast, making it clear there was no ill will against WWE. The 73-year-old did hint, though, that if the right idea was discussed, he might reconsider. But all else considered, he’s just glad to be where he is. He said:

“I haven’t talked to them. No plans to go back. Not that I’m saying that out of animosity or anger, but it’s just — it’s not the right time for me to get more involved in business. But they could come to me with an idea that we haven’t discussed and I might reconsider. But I like being where I am, I like the schedule I have, the freedoms that I have. I enjoy working with these young talents. I developed a good relationship with all those kids at AEW. And I’m happy where I am. I really am.”

Ross left WWE in March 2019, after returning to the company in April 2017. Before his WWE return, he did commentary for New Japan Pro-Wrestling. Ross has been with AEW since April 2019.

This article first appeared on The Sportster and was syndicated with permission.

More must-reads:

Customize Your Newsletter

Yardbarker +

Get the latest news and rumors, customized to your favorite sports and teams. Emailed daily. Always free!