
Bernard Hopkins has reacted to Gervonta Davis‘ plans to retire next year.
Davis made the shock announcement during the kick-off presser for his fight with Lamont Roach Jr. Davis will box Lamont Roach Jr. on March 1 in a defense of his WBA Lightweight Title. He enters the fight with a stoppage victory against Frank Martin, his first win in over a year since beating Ryan Garcia last year. There was hope that Davis would target unifications after a Roach fight, with a possible bout against the WBC Lightweight Championship Shakur Stevenson. There is also the opportunity to target the IBF Lightweight Champion Vasiliy Lomachenko.
Alternatively, Davis could move up to 140 pounds to secure bouts against David Haney or Teofimo Lopez. Davis made the announcement that he would fight three times next year before calling it a day. The Roach Jr. fight will take place in March, meaning that only two fights would be left for him. Davis stated that he would call out his next opponent immediately after the Roach fight.
The biggest fight of his career so far has been the Garcia bout that sold over 1.2 million PPVs. It also gave Davis a career-high payday of approximately $50 million. Davis said he would focus on his real estate portfolio once he retired. He also revealed that his mindset has changed following the birth of his newborn son.
Davis is aiming to secure his money as quickly as possible and leave the sport without taking too much damage. That did receive a negative reaction from some in the boxing industry, feeling that Davis was ducking the best fighters. That has raised question marks over whether he will be a future Hall of Famer.
He has an impressive 30-0 record. Davis is also a three-weight world champion with five titles. But his biggest win over Garcia has an asterisk over it. Ryan said the 136-pound catchweight and ten-pound rehydration clause hindered him. However, Hopkins had nothing but praise for Davis, stating that he is a future Hall of Famer. While Hopkins did say that, boxing fans on social media begged to differ.
“Tank did which most of the greats accomplished in their time — the highest goal. He’s, as far as I’m concerned, a first ballot Hall of Famer. As far as his era, which was loaded with fighters and fights which could have happened but didn’t. Every era has that same situation. I don’t think that’s ever going to go away.
“But, I think, Tank Davis understands his path and, going by what he feels, he’s young, and may still change his mind.“Something might happen in the next one, or two fights, where there’s an automatic [rematch] of something spectacular, on his way out. If he’s going to do one or two or three fights then let’s respect that. And let’s hope that’s fights that we want to see,” Hopkins said
More must-reads:
On October 27, news broke that Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao were in discussions to fight at some point in 2026 in what would be a Netflix boxing event. Of course, these two icons of the sport faced off on May 2, 2015, in what was arguably the biggest boxing fight of this century. While most fans felt like this bout was made way too late in each fighter's respective careers (and many feel like this was an intentional move by Mayweather's team to get Pacquiao when he was out of his prime), the entire sports world was still captivated by these two meeting in the ring. Ultimately, Mayweather (who was 38 years old at the time) won a unanimous decision victory over the 36-year-old Pacquiao (118–110, 116–112, 116–112 on the three judges' scorecards) to retain his WBA, WBC, WBO, and The Ring welterweight titles and improve his undefeated professional record to 48-0. There were conflicting opinions about whether that fight delivered, considering the hype it had in the lead-up. And the same thing can be said about their rumored rematch, with many expressing apathy and even disinterest about seeing these two guys meet in the ring again, especially now that they're each over a decade older. Roy Jones Jr. Speaks on Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Fight Boxing legend Roy Jones Jr. has gone back and forth with Mayweather multiple times this year, as the two clearly don't like each other. However, Jones Jr. is always willing to give Floyd his respect when it comes to what he can do in a boxing ring. This is why it was interesting to hear his stance on the reported Mayweather vs. Pacquiao rematch during a November 28 interview on FightHype. "I love it, for both of them," Jones Jr. said of the fight. When asked who he thinks would win, he added, "Tough call. I think Pacquiao has a better chin... and Mayweather's legs might not be the same. So Pacquiao's legs look pretty good, still. So I think it gives Pacquiao a chance to go up [compared to the first fight]. We'll see." There hasn't been any additional information about this reported rematch since news of it was released last month. However, that's not to say that the bout isn't still in the works, especially because it would still presumably be months away. But if the bout does come to fruition, the boxing world will be tuning in.
Mr. Smile apparently wasn’t smiling too much about one of his teammates last season. New York Mets shortstop Francisco Lindor had a "heated confrontation" with teammate Jeff McNeil last June, Mike Puma of the New York Post reported on Friday. Puma writes that Lindor began verbally attacking McNeil on June 20 over a defensive lapse that McNeil had during that day’s game against the Philadelphia Phillies. The confrontation, which was only verbal and never got physical, came in the midst of a seven-game losing streak by the Mets at the time. Puma also reports that the flashy Lindor clashed personalities during the year with the business-like Juan Soto during the season as well. Interestingly enough, the five-time All-Star Lindor also had a confrontation with McNeil in the dugout during a game in the 2021 MLB season. That confrontation did turn physical, and Lindor later offered an extremely unconvincing excuse for the incident. Meanwhile, the incident last June underscored the Mets’ struggles to get on the same page with one another during the 2025 campaign. Despite having a mammoth $342 million payroll, the Mets completely collapsed in the final weeks of the season and missed the playoffs altogether. Now there are rumors that the Mets could make some big changes this offseason, including a potential trade of McNeil. After another apparent confrontation between the veteran utilityman and the four-time Silver Slugger Award winner Lindor, it is clear that something is not quite working right now in that clubhouse.
Fresh off a Thanksgiving win on Thursday against the Detroit Lions on the road at Ford Field in Detroit, the Green Bay Packers made a notable move to reunite with kicker Lucas Havrisik. Green Bay parted ways with Havrisik just before the Lions game, but on Friday, the team announced that he’s back in the fold after getting signed to the practice squad roster. Via Green Bay’s official website: “The Green Bay Packers signed K Lucas Havrisik (HAVE-ruh-sick) to the practice squad. General Manager Brian Gutekunst announced the transaction Friday.” Lucas Havrisik insurance for now for the Packers It can be recalled that Havrisik saw action in three games in the 2025 NFL season for Green Bay in place of the then-injured Brandon McManus. In those games, the former Arizona Wildcats kicker went 4-for-4 on his field goals, including a franchise record-setting 61-yard make in Week 7’s 27-23 win in Glendale over the Arizona Cardinals. He was also 7-for-9 on extra-point attempts, with both misses happening in Week 11’s 27-20 victory against the New York Giants at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford. McManus is healthy and perfect in the two games since he returned to action, so there is no reason for the Packers to give his spot to someone else so Havrisik will just be insurance for now for Green Bay, which has a Week 14 date with the Chicago Bears at Lambeau Field.
While Atlanta Hawks star Trae Young is making “good progress” in his recovery from a sprained MCL in his right knee, he will miss at least two more weeks, which is the next time he’ll be reevaluated, the team announced in a press release. Young injured his knee in a collision with teammate Mouhamed Gueye in the first quarter of an Oct. 29 game at Brooklyn. He was ruled out for the rest of that game and was diagnosed with the MCL sprain a few days later after undergoing an MRI, which revealed no additional damage. The 27-year-old point guard was scheduled to be checked out on Saturday. This is the first update on his status since Nov. 1. Atlanta Hawks have found success despite Trae Young injury Atlanta has played well without the four-time All-Star, compiling an 11-5 record (including the victory over the Nets) in Young’s absence. He’s expected to be sidelined for six more games, with the earliest possible return date likely being Dec. 14 vs. Philadelphia. Fifth-year forward Jalen Johnson has thrived with Young sidelined, emerging as the face of the franchise and complicating his teammate’s future with the organization, according to Brett Siegel of ClutchPoints. Although the Hawks value young Young’s contributions and are eager to have him back in the near future, they may not be willing to give him the type of contract he could be seeking next offseason if he declines his $49M player option for 2026-27 to become an unrestricted free agent. Johnson had another huge game on Friday against Cleveland, compiling 29 points, 12 rebounds, 12 assists for his second triple-double of the season, writes Lauren L. Williams of The Atlanta Journal-Constitution (subscriber link). Johnson, who turns 24 years old next month, was plus-20 in 39 minutes during the seven-point victory over the Cavaliers. Reigning Most Improved Player Dyson Daniels has also taken on expanded play-making duties with Young out, and will continue to do so until his fellow starter in the backcourt is ready to return. It will be interesting to see what head coach Quin Snyder decides to do with Nickeil Alexander-Walker when Young is back. The Canadian guard, who was acquired in a sign-and-trade with Minnesota over the summer, has more than doubled his scoring average (19.3 point per game) compared to last season (9.4). He has been starting alongside Daniels for the past 13 games.
+
Get the latest news and rumors, customized to your favorite sports and teams. Emailed daily. Always free!



