College football, like nearly every other sport in the United States, is in jeopardy of having their 2020 season delayed due to the coronavirus.
CFB will have to make a decision soon, and new Rutgers president Jonathan Holloway addressed the issue, telling reporters that he expects a decision from the Big Ten Conference within a few weeks.
“The (conference) council of presidents and chancellors are in intense conversations about this,” Holloway told reporters, according to The Spun. “We will be following the guidance of the conference, and we are certainly keeping a close eye on how things develop with [scheduled re-starts in the NBA and Major League Baseball]. More information on that front will be coming out very soon. If I had to guess, within two weeks there will be a final declaration.”
Big Ten programs have been back on campus conducting voluntary workouts, but with training camps starting later this month, and it's no surprise why Holloway expects a decision very soon.
Many Division I colleges across the nation have reported double-digit coronavirus cases, including Clemson, which has seen 37 football players test positive for COVID-19. South Carolina Gov. Henry McMaster said in a Thursday news conference that if cases in his state continue to rise, then he won't be allowing college or high school football to be played this fall — putting Clemson at risk of not having a season after winning two of the past four national titles.
Schools in Arizona and California also are in jeopardy due to a spike in coronavirus cases in each state. The outbreak has even forced the Pac-12 Conference to consider options for the fall season, including a delayed start or postponing of the season until the spring.
ESPN's Paul Finebaum reported this week that there's less than a 50% chance we get a college football season in 2020 and that CFB as a whole is in peril.