
Professional competitive eater Joey Chestnut is set to defend his hot dog-eating title in a couple of months, while on probation. Chestnut, the current champion and a 17-time winner of the Nathan’s Famous International Hot Dog Eating Contest, will participate in the Jul. 4, 2026, event while on probation, having pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor battery charge.
He was accused of slapping a man in the face during a night out at a bar in Indiana, as per his attorney, Mario Massillamany. Chestnut pleaded guilty on Apr. 20, 2026, and was sentenced to 180 days of probation in Hamilton County.
However, despite his probation, he has now found a way to compete at the Nathan’s Famous International Hot Dog Eating Contest. A judge has permitted him to travel outside the state, allowing Chestnut to defend his title and the iconic Mustard Belt on Coney Island, where the contest takes place.
“It truly was just a misunderstanding,” Chestnut’s lawyer, Massillamany, told The Associated Press. “Joey understood that he wanted to accept responsibility for his actions, and he did.” (via ESPN)
According to an article from US Weekly from earlier this month, more details on Chestnut’s bar fight were revealed. As per the report, when police questioned Chestnut, he was said to be drunk and could not remember the altercation. His lawyer mentioned that it was “taken out of context” and Chestnut was instead nervous when speaking to the police without his attorney.
Last year, Joey Chestnut regained his championship title at Nathan’s Famous by consuming 70 and a half hot dogs and buns within 10 minutes. He most recently won the 2026 Ultimate Bologna Showdown in Tennessee for the third time straight, where he consumed 16 pounds of sausage in 8 minutes, and even set a world record.
More must-reads:
+
Get the latest news and rumors, customized to your favorite sports and teams. Emailed daily. Always free!