
LIV Golf has lost its main financial supporter and now needs $250 million. The league is looking for investors and showing them a business plan that it hopes will help keep LIV running after 2026.
Saudi Arabia’s Public Investment Fund said on April 30 that it will stop funding LIV after this season. Because of this, LIV CEO Scott O’Neil is now trying to find money from outside investors.
According to Axios, O’Neil is looking to raise $250 million, with Ducera Partners helping manage the process. The proposal says that if LIV raises the full $250 million, the league could start making a profit in about 20 months.
If they raise a smaller amount, around $150 million, LIV would instead depend on increasing team values and getting a new media rights deal to stay financially stable.
LIV Golf released a statement confirming the direction. “As we begin presenting our go-forward business plan to prospective capital partners, we are focused on achieving a sustainable future, and there are multiple pathways under active exploration,” the league said.
A source with knowledge of the situation told ESPN that LIV has received significant interest from potential investors. The league needs to secure its new investment by early October. If that does not happen, LIV Golf may look for short-term funding to keep the league running.
Bloomberg reported that LIV Golf is thinking about moving its headquarters to the U.S. because the country offers more business-friendly bankruptcy laws. Right now, the league has offices and companies based in the U.S., England, and the island of Jersey.
The PIF reportedly spent more than $5 billion to support LIV Golf over five seasons. That number could grow to more than $6 billion by the end of 2026. LIV Golf used a large part of the money to give contracts worth more than $100 million to top players like Jon Rahm, Bryson DeChambeau, and Dustin Johnson.
Now, two of LIV Golf’s biggest stars could face very different futures depending on what happens with the league next.
Rahm said at LIV’s Virginia tournament earlier this month that he has multiple years left on his contract. He doesn’t “see many ways out” of the deal, he said.
DeChambeau’s contract expires at the end of this season. He told ESPN in Virginia that the PGA Tour is prepared to hit him with severe penalties if he tries to return.
“I would consider playing only in tournaments that want him,” DeChambeau said, “while growing my YouTube channel,” he said, if LIV folds and a PGA Tour return isn’t possible.
O’Neil previously said it would take 10 years for LIV to turn a profit. The new pitch cuts that timeline down to 20 months.
More must-reads:
+
Get the latest news and rumors, customized to your favorite sports and teams. Emailed daily. Always free!