The Chicago White Sox announced their 2024 Spring Training broadcast schedule. Twelve of the Sox' 32 Spring Training games will feature some form of Chicago-based broadcast.
Six games will air on NBC Sports Chicago and four contests will stream on whitesox.com. ESPN Chicago will carry a radio broadcast for 10 games of the White Sox' Cactus League slate.
New TV play-by-play announcer John Schriffen and familiar color commentator Steve Stone will be on the call for all six games airing on NBC Sports Chicago. The White Sox' returning radio team of Len Kasper and Darrin Jackson will be on the call for ESPN Chicago's 10 broadcasts.
2024 Chicago White Sox Spring Training Broadcast Schedule
Date | Time (CT) | Opponent | TV Channel/Live Stream | Radio |
---|---|---|---|---|
Fri, Feb. 23 |
2:05 PM |
at Chicago Cubs |
NBC Sports Chicago |
ESPN Chicago |
Sat, Feb. 23 |
2:05 PM |
vs. Seattle Mariners |
NBC Sports Chicago |
ESPN Chicago |
Tue, Feb. 27 |
2:05 PM |
at Los Angeles Dodgers |
whitesox.com |
ESPN Chicago |
Fri, March 1 |
2:05 PM |
at Chicago Cubs |
ESPN Chicago |
|
Sat, March 2 |
2:05 PM |
at Texas Rangers |
ESPN Chicago |
|
Wed, March 6 |
2:05 PM |
vs. Los Angeles Dodgers |
NBC Sports Chicago |
ESPN Chicago |
Thu, March 7 |
2:05 PM |
vs. Milwaukee Brewers |
NBC Sports Chicago |
|
Sat, March 9 |
2:10 PM |
at San Diego Padres |
whitesox.com |
ESPN Chicago |
Fri, March 15 |
3:05 PM |
vs. Chicago Cubs |
NBC Sports Chicago |
ESPN Chicago |
Sat, March 16 |
3:05 PM |
vs. San Francisco Giants (Split Squad) |
NBC Sports Chicago |
|
Wed, March 20 |
3:05 PM |
vs. Cincinnati Reds |
whitesox.com |
ESPN Chicago |
Sat, March 23 |
3:05 PM |
vs. Seattle Mariners |
whitesox.com |
ESPN Chicago |
More must-reads:
Chicago Cubs manager Craig Counsell was ejected early in his team's game against the San Francisco Giants on Thursday, and home plate umpire David Rackley didn't put up with much before giving him the hook. Chicago had outfielder Ian Happ at the plate with a runner on first and one out in the top of the third inning at Oracle Park in San Francisco. Right fielder Kyle Tucker attempted to steal second on a 3-2 pitch in a tie game, but he was thrown out at second. The pitch was also called a strike, which ended the inning. Counsell felt that the ball had missed outside and came out of the dugout to state his case to Rackley, who was in no mood to hear it. Counsell was quickly dismissed from the game. The Cubs lost their first two games of the series against San Francisco and scored a combined five runs in those contests, so Counsell may have been trying to light a fire under his team. Though he seemed a bit surprised when Rackley ejected him. Chicago entered Thursday with a record of 76-57. Counsell's team was 6.5 games behind the Milwaukee Brewers in the NL Central but atop the NL wild-card standings.
A heated post-match exchange between former World No. 5 Jelena Ostapenko and Taylor Townsend marred an otherwise action-filled fourth day of the U.S. Open on Wednesday. After Townsend defeated the 2017 French Open champion in straight sets, 7-5, 6-1, Ostapenko accused her opponent of unsportsmanlike conduct, pointing out that the American didn't apologize when a net cord helped her win a crucial point earlier in the match. The Latvian wrote on social media that Townsend "was very disrespectful" and didn't show the proper etiquette expected of a pro tennis player. "If she plays in her homeland, it doesn’t mean that she can behave and do whatever she wants," she wrote in a scathing address of Townsend. Townsend offered more details on their post-match confrontation, which led to some suggesting she was racially targeted. "She told me I have no class and no education, and to see what happens if we play each other outside the U.S.," Townsend revealed. Townsend refused to call Ostapenko a racist. "I didn't take it in that way," she said, via BBC. "But also that has been a stigma in our community of being not educated, and all of the things, when it's the furthest thing from the truth. Whether it had racial undertones or not, that's something she can speak on." Ostapenko was widely lambasted on social media, with even World No. 1 Aryna Sabalenka asking her to control her emotions. The under-attack Latvian responded to allegations of her being a racist, while reaffirming her stance on Townsend disrespecting her during the match. "I was never racist in my life and I respect all nations of people in the world, for me it doesn't matter where you come from," she wrote on social media. Townsend will next face Russian teenage prodigy Mirra Andreeva in the third round. The World No. 46 American is trying to reach the fourth round of her home major for the first time since 2019.
Terry McLaurin finally agreeing to a lucrative contract extension with the Washington Commanders came with jubilant scenes across the organization and beyond. However, that doesn't change the importance of another dynamic playmaker in 2025. This was highlighted by an up-and-coming NFL analyst, who named Deebo Samuel Sr. as an X-factor who could make or break the Commanders' chances in 2025. The Commanders believe Samuel still has a lot more football left in the tank. Adam Peters knows him well as a player and a person. He was also more than happy to part ways with a fifth-round pick to acquire him from the San Francisco 49ers. Deebo Samuel tipped to make or break Commanders' offense by ESPN analyst All signs have pointed up for Samuel this summer. He's in great shape and is ready to make a significant impression. Ben Solak from ESPN agrees, but the analyst warned that if he cannot meet expectations, Washington's wide receiver depth might not be good enough to cope. [Deebo] Samuel was already an intriguing player when the Commanders traded for him. As things have developed further -- the recently resolved training camp holdout from Terry McLaurin and the lack of wide receiver depth -- Samuel has become even more important. They need him to be dynamic, and while he wasn't the same player last season as he was prior to that, he still is above average. If Samuel doesn't bring the juice, the Commanders' options to replace his unique role are understandably thin.Ben Solak, ESPN This is a fair assessment, especially considering the struggles of others during the preseason. Most of those are no longer around. Combine this with McLaurin and Noah Brown being back on the practice field, and this unit should be humming by the time Week 1 against the New York Giants arrives. Samuel will be a big part of Kliff Kingsbury's game plan. He fits the schematic concepts perfectly — someone who can take quick slants or screen passes and make things happen with the football in his hands. The second-round pick out of South Carolina looks healthy and focused, ready to silence those who unfairly criticized him once the trade was confirmed. There are elements in play that ensure Samuel won't be lacking in motivation this season. He's heard everyone write him off. He's got Peters' faith to repay. And there's also the possibility of another contract in Washington or elsewhere next spring if everything goes well. The ball is in Samuel's court. If he delivers, the Commanders' offense will be incredibly difficult to stop. More Commanders news and analysis
Following his Seahawks release, Marquez Valdes-Scantling became one of the top receivers on the open market. A deal sending him to the 49ers’ active roster was quickly worked out. As a result, the veteran deep threat is in position to handle a role right away with a San Francisco team in need of healthy options at the receiver position. Valdes-Scantling had interest from other suitors, though. The runner-up in his market turned out to be the Steelers. “It was between here and Pittsburgh,” Valdes-Scantling said during his introductory press conference (video link). “Obviously, I have a great relationship with Aaron Rodgers over there, and he wanted me back over there. So, it was a toss-up, 50/50, and I had to weigh my options and see which one I wanted to do, which was going to be better for my career at this point, and I was excited about it.” Rodgers and Valdes-Scantling played together for four years in Green Bay. It comes as little surprise the Pittsburgh quarterback attempted to engineer a deal given his previous efforts to reunite with former Packers teammates. The Steelers have long been connected to a potential receiver addition this offseason, and their ongoing interest in Gabe Davis points to Pittsburgh looking for a vertical threat in particular. Instead of reuniting with Rodgers for 2025, Valdes-Scantling will look to carve out an immediate role in San Francisco. The 49ers will be without Brandon Aiyuk and Jacob Cowing for at least the first four weeks of the season. Demarcus Robinson will be sidelined until Week 4 due to suspension, and it remains to be seen if Jauan Jennings will be available for the season opener. A short acclimation period will be in store, but Valdes-Scantling noted a familiarity with the 49ers’ scheme based on his time with Klint Kubiak in New Orleans last year and Seattle this summer. Kubiak’s brother Klay is San Francisco’s offensive coordinator. The Steelers are set to move forward with a WR room led by trade acquisition D.K. Metcalf and returnees Calvin Austin and Roman Wilson. Davis is still unsigned, and especially with Valdes-Scantling turning down the opportunity to head to Pittsburgh it will be interesting to see if the team pursues a deal on that front over the coming days.
Get the latest news and rumors, customized to your favorite sports and teams. Emailed daily. Always free!