Yardbarker
Yardbarker
x
Dealing with closer injuries, D-backs open set against Phils
Kamil Krzaczynski-Imagn Images

Just over a month into the season, the Arizona Diamondbacks' closers are dropping like flies.

Due to injuries at the back end of the bullpen, the Diamondbacks would love to post a comfortable victory Friday when they open a three-game road series against the Philadelphia Phillies.

Arizona began the season with a pair of solid options to close tight games, but A.J. Puk landed on the injured list with an elbow strain last month, and Justin Martinez joined him on the sidelines on Thursday because of shoulder fatigue.

Shelby Miller wrapped up Arizona's 4-2 win over the New York Mets on Thursday, and Kevin Ginkel, who worked the eighth inning, could get closing opportunities as well.

"We have a deep group of guys that we trust," Arizona manager Torey Lovullo said. "I know everybody's going to ask me who's going to be the closer. I don't know what that answer is, but we miss A.J. and we're going to miss J-Mart.

"But they're going to heal and they're going to come back and they're going to help us win games. In the meantime, everybody's going to hold down the fort and keep their seats warm for them."

The Diamondbacks took two of three from the Mets this week and will look to continue the momentum behind right-hander Merrill Kelly (3-1, 4.41 ERA) in the opener of the weekend series.

Kelly allowed nine runs in 3 2/3 innings on April 3 against the New York Yankees but has pitched to a 2.17 ERA in his other five starts. He gave up two runs in six innings Saturday in Arizona's 8-7, 10-inning loss to the Atlanta Braves.

For his career, Kelly is 2-1 with a 2.92 ERA in four starts against Philadelphia.

The Phillies will counter with Jesus Luzardo (3-0, 1.73 ERA), who has been dynamic since coming over in an offseason trade with the Miami Marlins.

The left-hander allowed just two unearned runs and three hits over six innings Saturday in a 10-4 road victory over the Chicago Cubs. He has worked at least five innings in all six of his starts and has given up more than two runs on just one occasion.

"He's one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet until he gets on that hill, and then he turns into a different guy. He's been outstanding," Philadelphia manager Rob Thomson said.

Luzardo has made four starts against Arizona in his career, posting a 2-1 record with a 5.09 ERA.

Philadelphia has a surplus of starters, as Ranger Suarez is slated to make his season debut on Sunday -- a return that could knock Taijuan Walker out of the rotation. Walker allowed four runs (one earned) in 5 2/3 innings Thursday as the Phillies fell to the visiting Washington Nationals 4-2.

"We'll see what they say," Walker said, regarding his role moving forward. "Ranger coming back is such a bonus for us. He's such a good pitcher. I know we miss him in our rotation. We'll see what happens. It's always a good problem to have when you have guys throwing the ball well, especially in the starting rotation."

The Diamondbacks went 4-3 against the Phillies last season after defeating Philadelphia in seven games in the 2023 National League Championship Series.

This article first appeared on Field Level Media and was syndicated with permission.

More must-reads:

Customize Your Newsletter

Yardbarker +

Get the latest news and rumors, customized to your favorite sports and teams. Emailed daily. Always free!

TODAY'S BEST

Red Sox hold key advantage in race for postseason berth
MLB

Red Sox hold key advantage in race for postseason berth

After putting together a highly successful road trip through the Bronx and Baltimore, the Boston Red Sox will now employ one of their top advantages of the 2025 season. Heading into Friday's home series opener against the Pittsburgh Pirates (with pitching prospect Payton Tolle set to make his MLB debut against National League Cy Young Award favorite Paul Skenes), the Red Sox just finished a portion of their schedule where they played 14 of 19 games away from Fenway Park. That includes the just-completed road trip, during which the Red Sox went 7-1 against the New York Yankees and Baltimore Orioles. With a road-heavy schedule behind them, Boston will settle into the comforts of Fenway Park for most of the next month. Beginning on Friday, only 12 of the Red Sox's 27 remaining games will be played on the road. That's great news for a Boston team that has been among MLB's best at home this season, posting a 41-25 record. The Red Sox's September schedule includes a trio of key home series against the Cleveland Guardians, Yankees and a three-game set with the Detroit Tigers that closes out the regular season. Depending on how the rest of the season unfolds, that final series could not only be pivotal for Boston's postseason chances but also be a potential preview of an American League matchup in October. Before a mid-August series against the Orioles in Boston, Red Sox manager Alex Cora spoke on several issues. Still, he mentioned his team's solid play at home this season as a change from previous years. "What we've been talking about the whole time, we have to be better at home. We have to, and that's what makes it great and we're doing that," Cora said. "Every day you come here, we're excited about it. There were a few times over the last three years that we weren't good here at Fenway Park. We're enjoying it." Cora went on to explain that the presence of third baseman Alex Bregman (now with Boston after signing as a free agent) and shortstop Trevor Story (fully recovered from injuries that saw him play in just 26 games last season) in the middle of the order was making a big difference in their success. Last season, the Red Sox were 38-43 at Fenway Park, so this year's home record is a big reason why Boston is back in the playoff chase. Simply put, the Red Sox's road to the postseason runs through Fenway Park. If Boston can keep up their winning ways at home, it bodes well for what October could bring.

Former NFL QB shares harsh truth about Browns' Shedeur Sanders
NFL

Former NFL QB shares harsh truth about Browns' Shedeur Sanders

Some previously accused Cleveland Browns head coach Kevin Stefanski of sabotaging the development of rookie quarterback Shedeur Sanders as Stefanski kept Sanders buried on the depth chart throughout the summer. A day after it was learned that Cleveland had agreed to trade Kenny Pickett to the Las Vegas Raiders for a 2026 fifth-round draft pick, Stefanski confirmed that Sanders will enter the Week 1 matchup against the Cincinnati Bengals on Sept. 7 as the Browns' QB3 behind starter Joe Flacco and fellow first-year pro Dillon Gabriel. During a recent chat with Jason Reid of Andscape, former NFL quarterback Akili Smith explained that the tape shows Sanders is behind as it pertains to playing the sport's most important position at the highest level. "If you take some time and break down the tape, and you understand what concepts they’re running, you see that Dillon Gabriel is ahead of Shedeur," Smith said. "No one who looks at the tape of those two and understands what they’re looking at could see it any other way. Gabriel is ahead of him, and a big thing is pocket presence. Shedeur took a sack in [the last preseason] game…it was ridiculous. You had all these people [on social media] blaming the line. He’s dropping back [too far]. He had to step up in the pocket or throw the ball away. It’s one or the other." Sanders took five sacks and completed just 3-of-6 passes for 14 yards in Cleveland's preseason finale versus the Los Angeles Rams on Aug. 23. Meanwhile, Gabriel connected on 12-of-19 passes for 129 yards and a touchdown in that contest. Smith is among those who believe Gabriel’s tape from August "is just better" than what Sanders produced. Sanders took an FBS-high 94 sacks over his final two college seasons before he fell to the fifth round of the 2025 NFL Draft. In the eyes of some, his play against the Rams showed that it will take time for him to unlearn certain bad habits he picked up over the years. "Anyone who’s got such a long way to go has to keep his nose clean, not turn on the organization and keep working," Smith added. "He has to put everything he has into continuing to get better each day. And that way, even if it doesn’t happen in Cleveland, you’re still giving yourself a chance. You’d show other teams that you want this. You’d show how much it means to you. Then maybe it happens somewhere else." The Browns trading Pickett indicates they're dedicated to continuing their development of Sanders through at least the 2025 season. That said, the potential return of Deshaun Watson is looming over Sanders' status as Flacco prepares to start against Cincinnati.

NFL analyst just exposed what could instantly change Commanders' destiny
NFL

NFL analyst just exposed what could instantly change Commanders' destiny

Terry McLaurin finally agreeing to a lucrative contract extension with the Washington Commanders came with jubilant scenes across the organization and beyond. However, that doesn't change the importance of another dynamic playmaker in 2025. This was highlighted by an up-and-coming NFL analyst, who named Deebo Samuel Sr. as an X-factor who could make or break the Commanders' chances in 2025. The Commanders believe Samuel still has a lot more football left in the tank. Adam Peters knows him well as a player and a person. He was also more than happy to part ways with a fifth-round pick to acquire him from the San Francisco 49ers. Deebo Samuel tipped to make or break Commanders' offense by ESPN analyst All signs have pointed up for Samuel this summer. He's in great shape and is ready to make a significant impression. Ben Solak from ESPN agrees, but the analyst warned that if he cannot meet expectations, Washington's wide receiver depth might not be good enough to cope. [Deebo] Samuel was already an intriguing player when the Commanders traded for him. As things have developed further -- the recently resolved training camp holdout from Terry McLaurin and the lack of wide receiver depth -- Samuel has become even more important. They need him to be dynamic, and while he wasn't the same player last season as he was prior to that, he still is above average. If Samuel doesn't bring the juice, the Commanders' options to replace his unique role are understandably thin.Ben Solak, ESPN This is a fair assessment, especially considering the struggles of others during the preseason. Most of those are no longer around. Combine this with McLaurin and Noah Brown being back on the practice field, and this unit should be humming by the time Week 1 against the New York Giants arrives. Samuel will be a big part of Kliff Kingsbury's game plan. He fits the schematic concepts perfectly — someone who can take quick slants or screen passes and make things happen with the football in his hands. The second-round pick out of South Carolina looks healthy and focused, ready to silence those who unfairly criticized him once the trade was confirmed. There are elements in play that ensure Samuel won't be lacking in motivation this season. He's heard everyone write him off. He's got Peters' faith to repay. And there's also the possibility of another contract in Washington or elsewhere next spring if everything goes well. The ball is in Samuel's court. If he delivers, the Commanders' offense will be incredibly difficult to stop. More Commanders news and analysis

Chicago Bears face a harsh reality thanks to the Micah Parsons-Packers trade but the bright side is it's not permanent
NFL

Chicago Bears face a harsh reality thanks to the Micah Parsons-Packers trade but the bright side is it's not permanent

The Chicago Bears, along with the rest of the NFC North, received some unwanted news Thursday night when the Green Bay Packers officially pulled off a trade for Micah Parsons. The all-world pass rusher is now a cheesehead through the 2029 season and will certainly be on the minds of the Bears and their divisional counterparts moving forward. The move sent ripples throughout the NFCN and the conference as a whole. For the Bears, specifically, it reminded them of a harsh reality: They're still a step away from becoming a playoff contender and the expectations for 2025 should simply be about progress before anything else. Bears have a ways to go before competing in the NFC North With all the additions made this offseason in Chicago, expectations undoubtedly rose to an even higher level, a dangerous game the Bears are used to playing. After this trade by the Packers, it’s clear the Bears still have a long way to go before being able to truly compete for an NFC North title. Now, let me be clear, it won’t take too much time to get to that level with a strong foundation in place. The future is very bright for the Bears and this team could easily be in a spot, next year, where playoffs are a realistic expectation. But when it comes to 2025, expectations should be lessened after seeing this move. Detroit, Minnesota, and Green Bay are primed to make some noise and a deep run in the NFC. Chicago still has a lot to prove to get out of the division basement. Caleb Williams has to prove he's the franchise quarterback the Bears believe him to be. The offensive line has to show it's not just improved on paper, but on the field, too. Allen faces the questions of re-proving himself as a defensive coordinator after several years of being a head coach. If he can pick up where he left off as a DC then the Bears have the talent of defense to be one of the NFL's best units. We still have to see that come to fruition, however, and we don't know if it will just yet. At the same time, Chicago has early measuring stick games in the first two weeks against Minnesota and Detroit to determine if the revamped team can hang with the top dogs. While a lot can change over the course of an NFL season, those two contests will say a lot about the state of the Bears and the direction they're headed. As for the matchups against Green Bay, the Bears won’t face its bitter rival and the team’s new weapon until Week 14, giving Chicago plenty of time to prepare. So, while the Bears still have a lot to prove, the key part is 2025 will give them all kinds of opportunities to do just that - answer questions. Packers trade for Micah Parsons overshadows all progress the Bears have made in the NFC North arms race The Chicago Bears have been the talk of the town in the NFC North the past few months and earned the title of “Offseason Champs” in the NFL once again. It’s a faux award fans are tired of hearing in Chicago - because the only thing that matters are results on the field. Even still, the progress the Bears made in the NFC North arms race this offseason has been impressive. By adding head coach Ben Johnson, the Bears locker room culture and offense took a complete 180 degree turn. On defense, Allen’s presence and new additions created a whole new aggressive mindset. But even with all the moves, the Parsons-to-Packers trade overshadows them all. It's simply because we're talking about one of the best players in the game who is still in his prime, regardless of position, and he just so happens to play one of the most important positions. Parsons is a true game-wrecker and his presence can take a bad defense and immediately make it a good one. That's how special he is. There's still plenty of reason for optimism in 2025 and beyond No one is saying this should take any excitement away from the Bears' current direction. The good news is if things go according to plan, they'll be right in the playoff mix in 2026. It's not a permanent or even short-term status, whatsoever. The arrow is pointing up in Chicago, but unfortunately it's even higher in Green Bay after the Parsons trade.