
The Arizona Diamondbacks transferred second baseman Ketel Marte from the restricted list to the 10-day injured list on Thursday with left knee inflammation, ending a strange absence that began earlier in the week.
Marte failed to report for the series opener against the Boston Red Sox at Fenway Park on Monday after traveling with the team. He did not appear for any of the three games in Boston. The club placed him on the restricted list shortly before first pitch and recalled infielder Jose Fernandez from Triple-A Reno to fill the roster spot.
Manager Torey Lovullo grew emotional when addressing the situation, fighting back tears as he emphasized concern for his player.
“I love him, and I care for him,” Lovullo said. “He’ll be okay. He is fine.”
He added that the entire clubhouse shared those feelings and that absences of this nature typically signal something is not right.
Marte returned to Phoenix for medical evaluation. An MRI confirmed left knee inflammation. General manager Mike Hazen said Marte will remain on the injured list until healthy and is expected to rejoin the team before the season ends.
Hazen noted Marte had exited a Friday loss to the Atlanta Braves early with knee soreness, received an injection, and returned to the lineup Sunday.
The three-time All-Star is hitting .249 with 21 home runs and 67 RBIs. The Diamondbacks sit one game behind the San Diego Padres for the final National League wild-card spot.
This marks Marte’s second restricted-list stint in recent seasons following a 2025 absence tied to a home burglary.
More must-reads:
+
Get the latest news and rumors, customized to your favorite sports and teams. Emailed daily. Always free!