Earlier this week, Washington Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo said he did not anticipate welcoming veteran infielder Starlin Castro back to the active roster this year after the 31-year-old was placed on paid administrative leave following an alleged domestic violence incident the previous week.
According to The Associated Press/ESPN, Rizzo won't have to worry about that for at least another week.
Castro's administrative leave was extended another seven days on Friday per MLB's domestic violence, sexual assault and child abuse policy. He has been on leave since July 16.
Castro briefly went on the restricted list on June 16 because of what manager Dave Martinez referred to as "family matters" but was back two days later. Per Maria Torres of The Athletic, Rizzo has reiterated that situation is not related to Castro's current leave.
Specifics about the alleged incident that has Castro currently out of action haven't been publicized.
"I was surprised," Rizzo said of the allegations earlier this week. "I was angered by it. I was p--sed off by it. It’s something that cannot happen. It should not happen. It will not happen with the Washington Nationals, otherwise we’ll fix it."
Castro was batting .283 with three home runs and 38 RBI this season before he became ineligible to play.