
Carlos Narváez is not starting behind the plate for the Boston Red Sox on Monday, but it appears he won't miss much more time than that.
According to MassLive's Christopher Smith, Narváez is feeling "way better than yesterday" when he suffered a finger injury in Sunday's blowout loss to the Atlanta Braves. The 27-year-old catcher left the game late with what the team called “right third finger pain," which Narváez clarified later was something that occurred earlier in the series when he had to pop the finger back into place following an awkward slide.
Before the series opener Monday against the Kansas City Royals, he admitted the injury is still causing some discomfort but remained optimistic that he will be back in action shortly.
“To grip the ball and throw is a little bit tough,” Narváez said. “Just give it a couple hours. Be ready tonight if something happens. Hopefully be ready by tomorrow to play.”
Manager Chad Tracy told the media yesterday that he made the decision to pull Narváez for what he called "a little jam of the finger" despite his desire to stay in the game.
“He felt something on a swing," Tracy said. "He wanted to continue, but it was a little sore. So, I felt like it was best to get him out of there with that score and not have him take another swing, make it worse."
Doesn't sound like anything serious on the Carlos Narvaez front. Just a jammed finger while swinging. He wanted to stay in the game, but they were trying to be careful. pic.twitter.com/5HOHkomhfz
— Tyler Milliken (@tylermilliken_) May 17, 2026
Tracy echoed Narváez on Monday, saying that he will be available in an emergency situation but is more likely to play on Tuesday.
“He’s doing OK,” Tracy said. “Still a little stiffness in the joint, but feeling a lot better than he did yesterday, obviously. So, I think he’s probably available in an emergency today and hopefully get him back tomorrow, but I think he’s doing OK.”
Narváez appeared on the broadcast Monday night in with a wrap over the injured finger as he looked on in the dugout.
Carlos Narváez injured finger.. pic.twitter.com/IHhb484zud
— Boston Strong (@BostonStrong_34) May 18, 2026
The Red Sox have Connor Wong behind the dish on Monday for starting pitcher Sonny Gray but also have Mickey Gasper in the lineup at DH who could assume catching duties if necessary. Narváez has struggled offensively this season, slashing just .225/.289/.348, but remains one of the league's top catchers in framing and defensive runs saved.
As it stands now, Narváez seems to have avoided any extended absence and the Red Sox should have one of their key leaders back on the field shortly.
More must-reads:
+
Get the latest news and rumors, customized to your favorite sports and teams. Emailed daily. Always free!