The New York Yankees found themselves facing a potential COVID-19 outbreak ahead of Tuesday's series opener at the Tampa Bay Rays.
Per Coby Green of SNY, Yankees manager Aaron Boone confirmed ahead of the game that third base coach Phil Nevin has tested positive for COVID-19 and is quarantining in Tampa. Nevin is fully vaccinated against the coronavirus and would be considered a breakthrough case.
ESPN's Marly Rivera previously reported five Yankees coaches, in total, tested positive. The club was conducting additional testing and contact tracing roughly 90 minutes before the contest's first pitch.
Boone said bench coach Carlos Mendoza will coach third base and added that no players are believed to be impacted by this development. Tuesday's game remained scheduled to start on time.
"Even though we've all learned that playing through a pandemic, going back to last year, I guess nothing really surprises you -- but still it does catch you off guard a little bit when you do get that news," Boone said of Nevin's test result. "I don't think we've had a case since before the start of last year, so it definitely hits you, especially as we've moved through in this vaccination phase."
Earlier in the day, the San Diego Padres placed star shortstop Fernando Tatis Jr., outfielder Jurickson Profar and shortstop Jorge Mateo onto the injured list due to MLB's health and safety protocols. Tatis tested positive for the virus.
Fernando Tatis Jr. tested positive for COVID-19, Jayce Tingler said. Tatis is asymptomatic. Jurickson Profar and Jorge Mateo are in contact tracing.— Dennis Lin (@dennistlin) May 11, 2021