x
Conor McGregor Withdraws From Irish Presidential Race, Eyes Future in Politics and Fighting
[NETWORK PROPERTY]-USA TODAY NETWORK

Conor McGregor’s unlikely run at the Irish presidency has come to an end. On Sunday night, the former two-division UFC champion announced that he is withdrawing from the October election, citing “careful reflection” and discussions with his family.

“This was not an easy decision, but it is the right one at this moment in time,” McGregor said in a statement on X. “While I will not contest this election, my commitment to Ireland does not end here.”

Political Ambitions Remain

Despite stepping aside, McGregor insisted his political journey is only beginning. He vowed to remain active in Irish public life, leveraging his global platform to promote Ireland’s interests abroad, push for transparency at home, and shape debates around democracy and immigration.

“This campaign has sparked an important conversation about democracy in Ireland … That conversation will not end with my withdrawal,” McGregor said. “You will see me canvassing again in the future. This is not the end, but the beginning of my political journey. This is a marathon, not a sprint.”

Barriers to Entry

McGregor’s candidacy faced steep institutional hurdles. To appear on the ballot, he needed support from either 20 members of the Irish Parliament (Oireachtas) or four of Ireland’s 31 local authorities. Many political experts believed McGregor’s outsider status and controversial history would make that path nearly impossible.

The Irish presidency itself is largely a ceremonial position, without executive power, but McGregor hoped to use the platform to highlight issues like immigration policy and economic opportunity.

From the White House to the Octagon

McGregor first floated his candidacy after attending a St. Patrick’s Day celebration at the White House earlier this year, where he appeared alongside U.S. President Donald Trump. His campaign quickly gained attention thanks to his massive social media following, though polls suggested his chances of victory were slim.

With politics now on hold, McGregor appears ready to return to fighting. He recently re-entered the UFC’s anti-doping pool, setting the stage for a long-awaited comeback. His sights are reportedly set on the UFC’s proposed 2026 White House card, a historic event he hopes to headline.

If finalized, it would mark McGregor’s first fight since suffering a broken leg in his 2021 trilogy bout with Dustin Poirier.

This article first appeared on Dice City Sports and was syndicated with permission.

More must-reads:

Customize Your Newsletter

Yardbarker +

Get the latest news and rumors, customized to your favorite sports and teams. Emailed daily. Always free!