
INGLEWOOD, Calif. — Francis Ngannou reminded the combat sports world Saturday night why he remains one of the most terrifying punchers in MMA history.
Competing on the stacked Rousey vs. Carano card at Intuit Dome, Ngannou violently knocked out Philipe Lins with a devastating overhand left late in the first round.
The official stoppage came with just 29 seconds remaining in Round 1. From the opening bell, Ngannou stalked Lins with the same calm menace that once dominated the UFC heavyweight division.
Lins looked visibly uncomfortable almost immediately as Ngannou controlled distance and patiently hunted the finish. Then came the ending. Ngannou uncorked a massive overhand left that crashed flush onto Lins and instantly shut the lights out.
The knockout was so clean that Ngannou didn’t even attempt follow-up punches after the shot landed. It marked the first truly signature one-punch MMA knockout added to Ngannou’s highlight reel in more than five years.
FRANCIS NGANNOU JUST CAUGHT A BODY
Image | Source: Dice City Sports pic.twitter.com/3xDDbSk5sE— Happy Punch (@HappyPunch) May 17, 2026
After the victory, Francis Ngannou wasted no time turning his attention toward Jon Jones. Jones, who served as a desk analyst for the broadcast, stood up smiling as Ngannou called him out cageside.
Ngannou then referenced Jones’ UFC deal in a memorable line. “He needs to find the hole in his cage.” The moment instantly reignited one of MMA’s biggest fantasy matchups.
During the last press conference, I asked Francis Ngannou how he feels that a fight with Jon Jones would cement his legacy and this is what he said.
I got the ball rolling on trying to get the dream match of Francis Ngannou vs Jon Jones at the final media press conference on Thursday. Hopefully we can finally get the fight that we’ve been waiting for. #mma #mvp pic.twitter.com/OV00f9kHBc
— Robert LaMar (@RobertLaMar26) May 17, 2026
Jones acknowledged the challenge during the broadcast and admitted the biggest obstacle may not be the fight itself but rather his UFC contract. “I’ve got to try to focus on getting out of my UFC contract,” Jones said.
“I don’t think Dana is interested in doing business with Francis.” Jones added that working with Most Valuable Promotions might be the only realistic path to making the fight happen.
Saturday’s win marked Ngannou’s second MMA appearance since leaving the UFC in early 2023. Since then, the Cameroonian superstar has:
At 39 years old, Ngannou still appears to possess frightening power and star appeal. Francis Ngannou didn’t just win Saturday night he reminded everyone why he remains one of combat sports’ biggest attractions. With Jon Jones publicly entertaining the idea afterward, the heavyweight super fight fans have wanted for years suddenly feels alive again.
More must-reads:
+
Get the latest news and rumors, customized to your favorite sports and teams. Emailed daily. Always free!