
Tom Aspinall is getting closer to his return to the Octagon.
The UFC heavyweight champion hasn’t fought since last October, when his first title defence ended in a no-contest.
Ciryl Gane’s double eye poke forced Tom Aspinall out of action at UFC 321. Since then, the English fighter has had surgery on both eyes and will need medical clearance before stepping back into the cage.
Tom Aspinall shared some encouraging news about his comeback during a recent YouTube video.
“I’ve had a scan,” he said on Sunday. “Things are progressing nicely, which I’m very happy about.”
According to the latest feedback from doctors, the Englishman could soon be cleared for full training if his recovery stays on course.
Aspinall also confirmed that he’s back in the gym and doing regular workouts, though sparring is still off the table for now. His progress has been steady, and there haven’t been any signs of setbacks so far.
While Aspinall’s eye injury has left the heavyweight division in limbo, the UFC moved forward by setting up an interim title bout.
The UFC White House co-main event on June 14 will pit Alex Pereira against Ciryl Gane for the interim belt. According to Aspinall, he’s already been promised a unification fight against whichever of those two men comes out on top.
“Alex and Ciryl have to fight for the interim title,” he added. “I’m obviously going to fight the winner. The UFC have told me I’m fighting the winner. I have to wait for that to be done, and we fight the winner.”
Aspinall was asked if there was a targeted date or even month pencilled in for his comeback. The champion said: “No specific month.”
More must-reads:
+
Get the latest news and rumors, customized to your favorite sports and teams. Emailed daily. Always free!