
The Golden State Warriors still want their veteran frontcourt duo back next season.
The Bay Area may be prioritizing youth this offseason, but the organization has made things clear about how it is looking at a future beyond this season.
After another injury-filled campaign, both head coach Steve Kerr and general manager Mike Dunleavy Jr. acknowledged the Warriors need to get younger and improve their overall availability heading into 2026-27.
Still, that has not changed how highly the franchise views Kristaps Porzingis and Al Horford.
“Yeah, those are guys that we definitely would love to have back,” Dunleavy said while discussing the Warriors’ offseason plans.
The Warriors want Al Horford and Kristaps Porziņģis back next season.
— Warriors Nation (@WarriorNationCP) May 17, 2026
“Yeah, those are guys that we definitely would love to have back,” Mike Dunleavy said.
Steve Kerr added: “Obviously, we want him back… Kristaps, I’d love to have him back.” pic.twitter.com/T1J9NKQzGM
Golden State believes both veterans added a dimension to the roster previously lacked. Horford brought leadership, floor spacing, and defensive size, while Porzingis gave the Warriors a unique two-way weapon capable of protecting the rim and stretching defenses offensively.
Dunleavy also suggested the organization remains optimistic that Porzingis can deliver a healthier season moving forward after injuries once again interrupted his campaign.
“KP is just a unique player on both ends of the court,” he added. “I think next year could be a more healthy, productive year for him.”
Kerr echoed similar sentiments, revealing that Horford and his family enjoyed their first season with Golden State.
“Obviously we want him back,” Kerr said regarding the star forward. “I know he really enjoys it here. I know his family loves it here. I’m hoping he’s back.”
Porzingis, meanwhile, enters unrestricted free agency after averaging 16.1 points, 5.3 rebounds, and 2.3 assists during his first season with the Warriors. Horford contributed 8.3 points and 4.9 rebounds while continuing to serve as one of the team’s veteran anchors.
Apart from the two probable names, Golden State Warriors GM Mike Dunleavy Jr. left little doubt about where the franchise stands regarding Stephen Curry and his long-term future.
Speaking to reporters on Friday, Dunleavy strongly hinted that the Warriors fully expect Curry to finish his career in Golden State. He wants him to continue a partnership that has already delivered four NBA championships and transformed the franchise into one of basketball’s defining dynasties.
“That date will come, but we’ve always said we want Stephen Curry to finish his career here and remain for as long as he wants,” Dunleavy said. “I don’t see any scenario where we wouldn’t want to find a way for him to finish here with the Golden State Warriors.”
Curry still has one season remaining on his current deal and is set to earn roughly $62.5 million during the 2026-27 campaign. However, he becomes extension-eligible this offseason and could potentially sign a new two-year contract worth more than $60 million annually.
More must-reads:
+
Get the latest news and rumors, customized to your favorite sports and teams. Emailed daily. Always free!