The Knicks are taking an extremely patient and cautious approach toward adding another center to pair with Mitchell Robinson. The departure of Isaiah Hartenstein opens up a significant need, especially given Robinson’s limited availability; he played only 31 games this past season and has exceeded 70 games just once in his career.
Mitchell is still regarded as an elite defensive center when available, averaging 5.6 points, 8.5 rebounds, and 1.1 blocks last season. His significant impact in the playoffs over six games, particularly against Joel Embiid, helped push the Knicks to the second round before a foot injury sidelined him.
The front office has been linked to several potential solutions, including Walker Kessler, Nick Richards, Jalen Duren, and high-priced veterans like Brook Lopez or Clint Capela. Capela, who is in a contract year, makes a lot of sense as he likely wouldn’t cost too much to acquire.
Whether or not the Knicks add a high-profile center, they should consider extending Precious Achiuwa . The 24-year-old, acquired from the Toronto Raptors in the deal that brought OG Anunoby to New York, averaged 7.6 points, 6.6 rebounds, and 1.3 assists last season.
During the playoffs, Achiuwa was thrust into an essential role due to injuries, averaging 20.4 minutes over nine appearances and shooting .488 from the field, including 4.2 rebounds and 1.3 blocks per game. He played a significant role as a depth piece, and New York doesn’t have much talent behind their primary starters at power forward and center. Capable of playing both positions, Achiuwa would certainly provide value on an extension.
The Knicks have already declined his $6.2 million qualifying offer, so the hope might be to bring him back at a lower price or to offer him an extension with escalating pay. Either way, Achiuwa, who has ties to New York City, brings a level of pride and effort that is an underrated asset to the team’s dynamics.
More must-reads:
Get the latest news and rumors, customized to your favorite sports and teams. Emailed daily. Always free!
Dallas Mavericks guard Kyrie Irving, who tore his left ACL in early March, provided a minor update on his recovery process during a live Twitch stream earlier this week, as Grant Afseth of Dallas Hoops Journal relays. “I was in the gym doing a little bit more,” Irving said. “I won’t tell you exactly what I was doing because it’s all about incremental growth, but I can share with y’all [that] it was some good days in the gym. I’m healing up great. To this date (Aug. 26), this will be five months post-surgery.” Irving, 33, had taken on increased ball-handling and play-making responsibilities in the wake of the Mavericks’ Luka Doncic trade last season and was averaging 24.7 points, 4.8 rebounds and 4.6 assists per game on .473/.401/.916 shooting through 50 outings when he went down with the season-ending injury. Irving became eligible for free agency this offseason when he declined his $43M option, but he didn’t seriously test the market, opting to sign a new three-year, $118.5M deal to remain in Dallas. Reporting back in April indicated that the Mavericks were optimistic about Irving’s chances of returning to the court sometime early in 2026, and president of basketball operations Nico Harrison suggested in July that the star guard is “ahead of schedule” in his rehab process. However, Harrison has also made it clear that the team won’t rush Irving back to the court, and the nine-time All-Star has preached patience as well, cautioning in July that there’s no guarantee he’ll be 100% healthy before the end of the 2025-26 regular season. “That doesn’t mean I won’t be back,” Irving said at the time. “It’s just — I don’t want to make any predictions on when I’m going to be back. I just want to be back 150,000% better.” With Irving sidelined, the Mavs are expected to lean on guards D’Angelo Russell, Brandon Williams, Dante Exum and Jaden Hardy, while frontcourt players like Anthony Davis and Cooper Flagg likely initiate the offense more frequently, too.
The Dallas Cowboys’ stunning trade of Micah Parsons to the Green Bay Packers sent shockwaves through the NFL, but the silver lining arrived Thursday afternoon in the form of three-time Pro Bowl defensive tackle Kenny Clark. The veteran immediately took to social media to share his excitement about joining America’s Team, posting a video of himself smiling widely on his private jet bound for Dallas. Clark’s enthusiasm was infectious as he documented his journey to Big D, clearly thrilled about the opportunity to anchor the Cowboys’ defensive line. The timing couldn’t be more crucial, with the regular season opener against the Super Bowl champion Philadelphia Eagles just days away. This trade represents more than just a player swap—it’s a strategic move that could redefine Dallas’ defensive identity for years to come. Kenny Clark Lands in Dallas: A New Chapter The social media post that captured Cowboys fans’ attention showed Clark beaming with excitement as his plane approached Dallas. His genuine enthusiasm reflects a player who understands the magnitude of joining one of the NFL’s most storied franchises. The timing of his arrival creates immediate pressure, but Clark’s veteran experience suggests he’s ready for the challenge. Clark’s journey to Dallas represents a fresh start for both player and team. After eight seasons in Green Bay, he brings championship pedigree and playoff experience that the Cowboys desperately need. His presence immediately fills a void that has plagued Dallas for years—reliable interior pass rush and run defense from the nose tackle position. The defensive tackle market has been historically thin, making Clark’s acquisition even more valuable. Teams rarely trade established defensive linemen of Clark’s caliber, especially during their prime years. The fact that Dallas secured his services as part of the Parsons package deal represents exceptional value in an era where quality interior defensive linemen command premium compensation. What Kenny Clark Brings to the Dallas Cowboys Clark’s resume speaks volumes about his capabilities and potential impact in Dallas. His three Pro Bowl selections demonstrate consistent excellence at one of football’s most demanding positions. Last season alone, he recorded 37 tackles, nine run stuffs, two forced fumbles, and a sack while anchoring Green Bay’s defensive front. The 2023 campaign showcased Clark’s pass-rushing prowess with a career-high 7.5 sacks, proving his ability to disrupt opposing quarterbacks from the interior. This dual-threat capability—stopping the run and rushing the passer—makes him invaluable in today’s NFL where defensive tackles must excel in multiple areas. Clark’s physical attributes perfectly suit the Cowboys’ defensive scheme. At 6-foot-3 and 314 pounds, he possesses the size and strength to command double teams while maintaining the athleticism to pursue ball carriers sideline to sideline. His quick first step and powerful hands allow him to shed blocks and make plays in both run and pass situations. Beyond statistics, Clark brings intangible qualities that often go unnoticed. His leadership experience from Green Bay’s playoff runs provides valuable mentorship for younger Cowboys defenders. His work ethic and professionalism set standards that elevate entire position groups, qualities particularly important for a franchise seeking to establish a winning culture. How Clark Fits into Dallas’ Defensive Plans The Cowboys’ defensive transformation begins with Clark’s presence in the middle of their defensive line. His ability to anchor against powerful running attacks addresses a glaring weakness that opponents have exploited for seasons. Interior defensive line play directly impacts every other defensive position, from linebacker mobility to secondary coverage effectiveness. Clark’s pass-rushing skills complement the Cowboys’ existing edge rushers perfectly. By demanding attention from interior offensive linemen, he creates favorable one-on-one matchups for Dallas’ outside pass rushers. This symbiotic relationship could unlock production from other defensive players who previously faced constant double teams. The defensive tackle’s versatility allows coordinator Mike Zimmer flexibility in game planning. Clark can line up anywhere across the defensive front, from nose tackle in base defenses to three-technique in passing situations. This positional flexibility enables Dallas to deploy varied looks that keep offensive coordinators guessing. Run defense improvement represents Clark’s most immediate impact. His ability to occupy multiple blockers frees linebackers to make plays at the second level. This improved run stopping capability forces opponents into obvious passing situations, allowing the Cowboys’ pass rushers to pin their ears back and attack. The Timing Factor Clark’s arrival couldn’t come at a better time for Dallas. With the regular season beginning in less than a week, his veteran presence provides immediate stability to a defense facing questions about its identity post-Parsons. His experience in high-pressure situations, including playoff games and divisional matchups, brings calm leadership to a potentially tumultuous transition. The Eagles matchup in Week 1 will test Clark immediately against one of the NFL’s most physical offensive lines. Philadelphia’s commitment to running the football makes Clark’s presence even more crucial, as his ability to neutralize interior running lanes could dictate the game’s outcome. Kenny Clark’s arrival in Dallas represents more than just a roster addition—it’s a statement about the Cowboys’ commitment to building a championship-caliber defense. His social media excitement reflects a player ready to embrace the challenge of playing for America’s Team, and Cowboys fans have every reason to share that enthusiasm.
Adam Peters has already disposed of one draft pick under his leadership. The Washington Commanders won't hesitate to send more to the fringes if they aren't meeting the required standard. Peters is a ruthless roster builder. The general manager doesn't adopt any sentiment to his decision-making process, and always puts the team's best interests at the forefront. Anyone needing further proof of just how far he will go should examine his approach to wide receiver Terry McLaurin's contract standoff. There were some hidden signs when Peters trimmed down his roster from 90 to the required 53. A loud message was sent in no uncertain terms to one draft pick who is still fighting for relevancy entering Year 2 of his professional career. Commanders need more from Ben Sinnott, or they'll seek it from Colson Yankoff Flashing for Ben Sinnott won't be enough this time around. The 2024 second-round selection didn't make much of an impact as a rookie. Washington had the luxury of bringing him along gradually thanks to the presence of Pro Bowler Zach Ertz and John Bates, who is emerging as one of the league's most dominant blockers at the position. Ertz and Bates are both back. More is expected of Sinnott, but another anonymous preseason did nothing to diminish concerns about just how much he is ready for. Actions speak louder than words. Most fans thought the Commanders might only take three tight ends onto the squad this year, especially with the surplus of wide receivers. Peters had something else in mind, keeping Colson Yankoff on the team and moving forward with only five wideouts. Yankoff deserves his spot. He rose from obscurity as an undrafted free agent last year, and the progress has been notable this offseason. The UCLA product also flashed a lot more than Sinnott when opportunities came his way. That hasn't given him the No. 3 tight end spot just yet, but the highly-touted prospect would be wise to raise performance levels to cement his status. The Commanders still think Sinnott has something to offer. He demonstrates impressive qualities as a blocker and boasts enough athleticism to make his presence felt in the passing game. But there will come a time when potential is not enough. Sinnott must deliver on his pre-draft promise. It doesn't matter that he was a second-rounder and Yankoff didn't hear his name called. If the unheralded player outperforms the one with loftier expectations, that's all part of the business. The time to step up has arrived for Sinnott. And the added urgency is there for all to see. More Commanders news and analysis
"See ya." The catchphrase of New York Yankees broadcaster Michael Kay could be what the club says to outfielder Trent Grisham this winter. Grisham, a two-time Gold Glove winner, is enjoying a breakout year, slamming a career-high 27 home runs with more than a month left in the regular season. His .476 slugging percentage and .830 OPS also are personal bests. As a result. Grisham won't be hurting for suitors when free agency begins after the 2025 World Series. But New York Post Yankees beat writer Greg Joyce explained why the outfielder's return to the Bronx is unlikely. "Aaron Judge will presumably — barring his elbow injury turning into something that needs surgery — be back in right field next season," Joyce wrote. "Jasson Domínguez has lost his grip on everyday playing time this month, but he is still likely to be back in left field next year. "Cody Bellinger is playing well enough that he is expected to exercise his opt-out and join Grisham on the free-agent market, though it would not be surprising to see the Yankees try to make a bid to retain him. "And then there is the wild card of Spencer Jones, whom the Yankees hung on to at the trade deadline last month with the center fielder on an absolute heater at Triple-A, though there are still questions about exactly what they have in him," Joyce added. Look, there are clearly several variables in the mix here. Yes, it's likely that Bellinger opts out. And yes, it's possible the Yankees prioritize the former MVP over Grisham. But it's also possible another team (possibly the Mets) outbids the Yankees for Bellinger. Or maybe the Yankees trade Dominguez. Or general manager Brian Cashman uses Jones as trade bait. However it's hard to ignore the looming possibility that the 28-year-old Grisham could be gone after the season. "Even if the Yankees believe this version of Grisham is sustainable for the next few years, he still seems like a long shot to return given the money he has made himself this season," Joyce added. The seven-year MLB veteran joined the Yankees in December of 2023 as part of the blockbuster Juan Soto trade with the San Diego Padres. Make sure to bookmark Yankees On SI to get all your daily New York Yankees news, interviews, breakdowns and more! Insider: Yankees’ Aaron Boone, Brian Cashman in Jeopardy Former Yankees Pitcher Shut Down Before Cy Young Decision Former Yankees Infielder Torched in Epic Pitching Fail Yankees May Have Given Former All-Star Second Chance Yankees Biggest Concern Revealed