Yardbarker
x
Colts GM claims team will not trade QB Anthony Richardson
Grace Hollars/IndyStar / USA TODAY NETWORK via Imagn Images

Anthony Richardson  lost out to Daniel Jones  in the Indianapolis Colts’ quarterback competition this summer, but he is still in the team’s plans for at least the time being. General manager Chris Ballard  made it clear on Wednesday no Richardson trade is being considered at this time.

“I know the negativity and it’s easy to say, okay, he’s done,” Ballard said of the 2023 No. 4 pick (via the team’s website). “And I don’t agree — I’ve said this numerous times — I do not agree with that. I’m proud of Anthony, of where he’s at, how far he’s come. He’s come miles… And there’s a lot of value in sitting behind a guy that’s a professional and watching and learning and growing and working on the things you need to work on without the same pressure of being the starter.”

Richardson played just four games as a rookie before undergoing season-ending shoulder surgery. The 23-year-old struggled when healthy last year, and at times he was benched in favor of backup Joe Flacco. Indianapolis prioritized adding a veteran signal-caller this offseason, and Jones departed Minnesota knowing a starting gig would be on offer. 

The former Giant (added on a one-year pact including over $13M guaranteed) will look to offer stability under center in contrast to Richardson’s inconsistent showings – which, to date, have not been enough to end his Indianapolis tenure.

“There’s examples of guys that have had rough starts to their careers and have absolutely bounced back and had good careers,” Ballard added. “And there’s examples of guys who’ve been benched who come back and play.”

After Richardson completed just 47.7% of his passes and threw more interceptions (12) than touchdowns (eight), any trade undertaken at this point would contain little in the way of value coming back to the Colts. The Florida product has demonstrated his rushing upside when on the field, but that alone would not entice much in the way of attractive offers from suitors.

After this season, a decision will need to be made on Richardson’s 2027 fifth-year option. It is on track to be declined at this point, something which would point further to an Indianapolis departure being likely. For now, though, the Colts are in position to keep him in the fold.

This article first appeared on Pro Football Rumors and was syndicated with permission.

More must-reads:

Customize Your Newsletter

Yardbarker +

Get the latest news and rumors, customized to your favorite sports and teams. Emailed daily. Always free!