Yardbarker
x
One Major Raiders' Problem Has a Quick Fix
Feb 10, 2026; Henderson, NV, USA; Las Vegas Raiders general manager John Spytek at press conference at Intermountain Health Performance Center. Mandatory Credit: Kirby Lee-Imagn Images Kirby Lee-Imagn Images

The Las Vegas Raiders struggled in many ways this season.

Where Games Are Won and Lost

The Raiders' biggest need was on display every week this entire season. Las Vegas failed to protect quarterback Geno Smith or open lanes for running back Ashton Jeanty, leading to a long, long season for everyone involved.

Matt Bowen of ESPN recently released his prediction for potential landing spots for some of the league's best pending free agents. He believes the Raiders would be a solid fit for the Los Angeles Chargers' offensive guard, Zion Johnson. Las Vegas struggled along the interior line this season.

William Navarro-Imagn Images

"The Raiders can upgrade their offensive line with Johnson. He’d play the left guard spot in Klint Kubiak’s system, using his mobility in the zone run game. Plus, Johnson’s youth and durability fit the rebuild in Las Vegas. He is just entering his prime playing years, with a 90.7% pass block win rate over his four-year career with the Chargers," Bowen said.

Injuries to Jackson Powers-Johnson, and an overall lack of depth at both offensive guard positions doomed the Raiders this season. Although Caleb Rogers showed potential late in the season, Las Vegas could undoubtedly use additional, veteran help at the position.

Kirby Lee-Imagn Images

The Raiders will also have to decide what to do with their own offensive guard, Dylan Parham, who is set to hit free agency this offseason. Parham has started in 63 games for the Raiders over the past four seasons and has generally been a dependable player.

Still, even if they keep Parham, Las Vegas needs help along the offensive line. Las Vegas' issues along the unit this season were not only about performance; it was about how top-heavy the unit was. One injury essentially ruined the season. The Raiders cannot allow that to happen again next season.

Mark J. Rebilas-Imagn Images

Even if the Raiders re-sign Parham, they will need additional help at the position. Between the NFL Draft and free agency, the Raiders should strongly consider multiple offensive guards, several of whom are available in free agency alone.

Raiders General Manager John Spytek noted earlier this offseason that several things will factor into how he and the Raiders' front office will address their offensive line. The unit allowed more sacks than any other offensive line in the National Football League this season.

Denny Medley-Imagn Images

“We're going to attack this entire offseason with an extremely open mind. And anybody that can help bolster that offensive line and do the job required will be considered. We have a lot of cap space; we've got some elite draft picks and maybe adding a veteran presence in there or two would be helpful but not necessarily an absolute necessity. We're not going to begin with the end in mind," Spytek said.

Have every Raiders story straight to your email with the latest news.  Our newsletter is completely FREE. We will not spam you or sell your information.  SIGN UP HERE NOW.


This article first appeared on Las Vegas Raiders on SI and was syndicated with permission.

More must-reads:

Customize Your Newsletter

Yardbarker +

Get the latest news and rumors, customized to your favorite sports and teams. Emailed daily. Always free!