
The Alabama Crimson Tide have to feel like they're a contender in a quickly approaching NCAA men's basketball tournament.
Nate Oats has built a strong program capable of making a run.
March Madness is full of variables, though. One of those variables is seeding.
If you're a top seed, that's really not a problem. Alabama is 19-7, though, so they're amongst the handful of programs jockying for better positioning over these last few weeks of regular-season college basketball.
The Tide are a little bit of a unique situation, though. For five games earlier this season, they featured a player, Charles Bediako, who is no longer considered eligible.
To be fair to the Tide, he was eligible while he played, thanks to a temporary restraining order in his eligibility lawsuit. The NCAA also legally can't punish Alabama for playing him during that time.
The NCAA tournament selection committee could technically dock Alabama's seeding based on those five games, though. That's not illegal because it is subjective. It's a selection committee, after all.
Committee chair Keith Gill explained on Thursday that Alabama will not hold anything against 'Bama for those five games, though. The committee is going to treat the Tide based on the merits of their wins and losses on the schedule, no matter who was playing in the games.
"Those games do count. You have to decide how you’re going to count them. The committee will apply our normal player availability process," Gill said, per Jeff Borzello of ESPN.
Discussion about Charles Bediako and how the selection committee will value the games he played for Alabama.
— Jeff Borzello (@jeffborzello) February 19, 2026
Committee chair Keith Gill: “Those games do count. You have to decide how you’re going to count them. The committee will apply our normal player availability process.”
NCAA Vice President of Basketball Dan Gavitt went on to explain that matters of eligibility aren't in the selection committee's purview.
"That’s not the basketball committee’s role," he said, according to Matt Norlander of CBS Sports. "The role is to evaluate these teams from a competitive standpoint and bracket and seed accordingly."
Bediako, a 7-foot center, played at Alabama from 2021 to 2023 before entering his name into the 2023 NBA Draft.
He went undrafted but signed a two-way contract with the San Antonio Spurs and played with their G League affiliate, the Austin Spurs. He also played with the Orlando Magic in the 2024 NBA Summer League, and with the Grand Rapids Gold (affiliated with the Denver Nuggets) and Motor City Cruise (affiliated with the Detroit Pistons) before attempting to return to college this past season.
While the case against Bediako's eligibility would seem pretty cut and dry, the NCAA has been playing fast and loose with international and G-League players.
Frankly, the NCAA has invited chaos, and Bediako was trying to take advantage of that.
That was the point he made when he filed a lawsuit against the NCAA, and it was a halfway decent point, even though he lost his case.
More must-reads:
+
Get the latest news and rumors, customized to your favorite sports and teams. Emailed daily. Always free!