On Monday, the England Football Association condemned those who sent online racist abuse to players following Sunday's loss to Italy on penalties in the final of the UEFA European Championship.
Later in the day, Three Lions captain and Tottenham Hotspur striker Harry Kane took to Twitter to lash out at the guilty parties:
Three lads who were brilliant all summer had the courage to step up & take a pen when the stakes were high. They deserve support & backing not the vile racist abuse they’ve had since last night. If you abuse anyone on social media you’re not an @England fan and we don’t want you. pic.twitter.com/PgskPAXgxV— Harry Kane (@HKane) July 12, 2021
According to Ben Morse of CNN, Twitter has removed over 1,000 tweets since the final ended for violating the service's rules. Specifically, England's Marcus Rashford, Jadon Sancho and Bukayo Saka were targeted with abuse after they missed their penalties in the shootout. British police are investigating the online posts, and UEFA said "the disgusting racist abuse" "has no place in football or society."
Earlier on Monday, Kane vowed England will look to build upon their Euro performances at next year's World Cup in Qatar:
Last night hurts. It’ll hurt for a long time. But we’ve come so far and broken down so many barriers that this is not the end. We win together, lose together and will regroup together for the World Cup. Thanks for all your support this summer. pic.twitter.com/kUfW3zq2mn— Harry Kane (@HKane) July 12, 2021
"For some of them to be abused is unforgivable," England manager Gareth Southgate said Monday. "Some of it has come from abroad, we have been told this, but some of it is from this country.
"We have been a beacon of light to bring people together and the national team stands for everybody. We felt the energy and positivity from the fans and I'm incredibly proud of that."