Yardbarker
Yardbarker
x

Though Roma got the transfer window off to a relatively slow start, their transfer dealings are gaining momentum. According to Calciomercato, Giallorossi sporting director Florent Ghisolfi is contemplating an ambitious signing of former Barcelona ace Sergi Roberto on a free transfer.

Following the arrivals of Matias Soule from Juventus and Artem Dovbyk from Girona, Roma have addressed their shortcomings in the final third. Meanwhile, the acquisition of Enzo Le Fee from Rennes has bolstered Daniele De Rossi’s midfield options. However, there’s still ample room for improvement at the back.

Roberto, whose contract at Camp Nou expired on June 30, has become a concrete target for Roma amid De Rossi’s effort to reinforce his backline. Well-versed in covering multiple positions in the engine room, the Spaniard is equally capable of playing on the flank and could be a decent low-cost replacement for Leonardo Spinazzola.

Spinzzola left Roma as a free agent earlier this summer to link up with Antonio Conte at Napoli. With Zeki Celik and Rick Karsdorp failing to impress at right-back last season, it’s fair to say De Rossi lacks quality on the flanks. Roberto would undoubtedly be a solid upgrade on Giallorossi’s current options, but Roma must see off competition from Ajax and Como.

The 32-year-old has yet to bid farewell to Barcelona. But it’s only a formality. The Spanish giants have refused to offer him a new deal in Catalonia. Roberto earned around €2.4 million net per season at Camp Nou, so his wages will unlikely deter Roma from tabling an official bid.

This article first appeared on The Cult of Calcio and was syndicated with permission.

More must-reads:

TODAY'S BEST

Tottenham unwilling to throw in the towel for Aston Villa star; late summer push likely
Soccer

Tottenham unwilling to throw in the towel for Aston Villa star; late summer push likely

Aston Villa star Morgan Rogers is facing an uncertain future as Tottenham Hotspur decide to go all in for his signature Tottenham fans are worried that the club may not be able to find a replacement of James Maddison on time as we approach the business end of the transfer window. Not many clubs are willing to sell their best players during the latter stages of the summer as they do not have time to find a replacement. So, Daniel Levy will need to find a way to lure quality players to N17 that could bolster the depth of the squad for this season. Thomas Frank has also called for new signings time and again, as the Danish tactician gets ready to compete hard on all four fronts this season. However, it is fair to say that the ex-Brentford boss has not been backed by Levy in the summer. But there is still some time for the Lilywhites to find a way and land new players. There is a clear need for a new #10 after James Maddison ruptured his ACL. The England international’s untimely injury has proved to be detrimental, as Spurs do not have enough cover in that position. The lack of attacking midfielders in the squad has meant that Thomas Frank is forced to play Pape Matar Sarr in an advanced role for now. Tottenham still trying to land Aston Villa star Morgan Rogers One of the many names on Tottenham’s shortlist for a new #10 is Aston Villa star Morgan Rogers. The Lilywhites have enquired about the England international’s availability in recent days after missing out on Eberechi Eze. However, there is a strong belief that the Villans are not willing to part ways with Rogers anytime soon as he is considered a key part of Unai Emery’s setup at Villa Park. Yet, Spurs are not willing to give up in their pursuit of the England international as we approach deadline day. Speaking to Football Insider, Mick Brown said: “Morgan Rogers would be an ambitious move for Tottenham. He’s done really well at Villa so it’s no surprise there is interest in him. I’m told Tottenham have spoken to Villa about whether he might be available. Unai Emery wants to keep him; he’s one of his better players so that’s a given really.” The ex-scout added, “Spurs feel they can get a deal done, but if they do it certainly won’t be cheap. We know Tottenham need to replace Maddison, and they definitely see Rogers as somebody who can fill that attacking midfield role. Whether Villa will be open to a deal isn’t clear, I expect probably not, but Tottenham look like they’re going to try so we’ll see.” Mick Brown reports that Tottenham have contacted Aston Villa to ask about Morgan Rogers’ availability. But the Villans have immediately informed the Lilywhites that a deal is not possible as Unai Emery is not willing to part ways with Rogers. The ex-scout suggests that Spurs can still get a deal done, but it will not be cheap. Brown also believes that Tottenham view the England international as James Maddison’s replacement, and will not give up on signing him until the very last day of the transfer window. The North London club would make a huge statement if they somehow manage to land Morgan Rogers. The 23-year-old is one of the best talents in the Premier League, and he certainly made a name for himself last season at Villa Park. As per Sofascore, Rogers managed to rack up 14 goals and provide 13 assists in 54 games for the Villans. This just shows that he can make a huge impact in the final third of the pitch.

Jerry Jones again proves he shouldn't be making decisions for Cowboys
NFL

Jerry Jones again proves he shouldn't be making decisions for Cowboys

When it comes to major decisions for the Dallas Cowboys it is always going to be Jerry Jones' way or the highway. The problem with that philosophy, however, is that the Jerry Jones way has proven to be a failure for more than 30 years. It's long past time for him to give up control of the team and hire a real general manager to fix the mess he keeps creating. All of that is back on the front-burner again following Thursday's conclusion of the Micah Parsons saga, with the All-Pro superstar getting traded to the Green Bay Packers for defensive tackle Kenny Clark and two first-round picks. In a vacuum, it's not a terrible return. Clark is a legitimate starter on the defensive line -- and a very good player -- and two first-round picks are always going to have some value. But professional sports does not exist in a vacuum. There is always more context at play, and the context here is that an in-his-prime superstar (Parsons), that is one of the biggest game-changers in the league, and a player that was trying to make it work in Dallas, is now playing for somebody else because Jones could not get out of his own way. From the very beginning Jones bungled this contract negotiation, doing the one thing he does best — making himself and Cowboys drama the focal point, and what is best for the team a secondary matter. It's the Jerry Jones way. And it's a losing way. This situation did not have to end up the way it did. There was a perfectly reasonable outcome that would have seen Parsons remain in Dallas throughout the prime of his career and continue to be a focal point of its defense. All it would have taken was a common sense approach and an owner whose concern for the organization outweighed their ego. Every major negotiation with the Cowboys ends up getting drawn out into chaos. It's all part of Jerry's desire to keep him and his team at the top of the headlines. It usually results in him having to pay a player more money than he otherwise would have. And even that may not be a problem for Jerry because he gets to talk about how he negotiated and paid out this huge contract. This time, however, the plan finally burned him. If you want to reach, or if you want to carry Jones' water for him, you might be able to put together a somewhat coherent argument as to how this can work out. Maybe those two first-round picks will pan out in the future. Maybe Clark is a great fit in the middle of Dallas' defensive line. Maybe. Maybe, maybe, maybe. The more maybe's you throw in, the more likely it is they are not going to all pan out. Clark is good, but he's not Parsons. He is not as disruptive, he is not as good and he is going to be 30 years old this season while Parsons is still only 26. Two first-round picks looks good on paper, but the Packers are a pretty good team — and will be even better with Parsons — and those picks will likely be in the back half of the first-round. You hope to find a good player with at least one of them, if not both. The odds that either one is as good as Parsons are long. Since winning their last Super Bowl during the 1995 season the Cowboys have consistently been one of the NFL's most mediocre franchises. Never truly awful, but never good. They will make the playoffs semi-regularly, but never go anywhere. They have the longest NFC Championship game drought in the conference. They never get close to the Super Bowl and have not been bonafide contenders in literal decades. A sane owner would look at those results and would have fired multiple general managers for that run. Jones has no one to fire because he is the general manager. And he likes the way he is doing things. The problem is it doesn't work. It hasn't worked. And it won't work. History has proven that.

Cowboys land three-time Pro Bowler in Micah Parsons trade
NFL

Cowboys land three-time Pro Bowler in Micah Parsons trade

It may be no consolation to Dallas Cowboys fans, but their team did land an outstanding defensive player as part of the stunning blockbuster that sent Micah Parsons to the Green Bay Packers on Thursday. The Cowboys have traded Parsons to the Packers in exchange for a pair of first-round draft picks and defensive tackle Kenny Clark. While Clark is nowhere near the same caliber player as Parsons, he has been one of the top players at his position in the NFL for several years now. Clark spent nine seasons with the Packers after they drafted him in the first round out of UCLA in 2016. He became a full-time starter in 2017 and has started every game in which he has played since. Clark started all 17 games for Green Bay the past three seasons and has missed just one game in the last four years. He had a career-high 7.5 sacks and nine tackles for loss in 2023, which is when he made his third and most recent Pro Bowl. The 6-foot-3, 314-pound tackle also made the Pro Bowl in 2019 and 2021. Almost all Cowboys fans would have preferred for their team to work out a long-term extension with Parsons. The tension between the two sides simply escalated to the point where a divorce became the most viable option. If the Cowboys felt they had no choice but to trade Parsons, they at least seem to have maximized the return. The future first-round picks will give them flexibility to build through trades and/or the draft. It should also soften the blow — even if only slightly — that they landed a 29-year-old player who has played like an elite defensive tackle throughout much of his career.

Green Bay Packers: Micah Parsons Responds to NFC East QB’s Unexpected Pitch After Trade
NFL

Green Bay Packers: Micah Parsons Responds to NFC East QB’s Unexpected Pitch After Trade

Perhaps one of the winners of the Green Bay Packers’ trade acquisition of Micah Parsons on Thursday is Russell Wilson and the New York Giants. With Parsons gone in the NFC East division, the Giants don’t have to deal with Parsons twice in the 2025 NFL regular season. Well, they will still be facing the Packers in East Rutherford in Week 11, but at least they’re not going to deal with Parsons multiple games in a season for years to come. Russell Wilson gets response from Parsons after Green Bay Packers trade Following Parsons’ stunning trade from the Dallas Cowboys to Green Bay, Wilson went on social media to offer the former Penn State Nittany Lions star some logistical help. “You know @MicahhParsons11 I went to Wisconsin @BadgerFootball…Anything you need in Wisco… Packing ur bags.. moving company… just let me know. ,” Wilson shared in a post on X. Parsons saw Wilson’s post and responded to it. “ hit my line,” Parsons wrote. It is undeniable that the Cowboys lost a crucial defensive weapon by letting go of Parsons, but they also didn’t see him as important enough to get him the extension contract he was looking for. Instead, Parsons lands in Green Bay, where he will be helping the Packers’ stop unit that was just 12th in the NFL in 2024 with a 7.42 percent sack rate. In any case, Parsons is no longer as big of a yearly threat to the rest of the NFC East but is now for the Packers’ NFC North rivals. The Chicago Bears, Minnesota Vikings and Detroit Lions just had their respective offensive lines and quarterbacks put on notice by Parsons.

Customize Your Newsletter

Yardbarker +

Get the latest news and rumors, customized to your favorite sports and teams. Emailed daily. Always free!