UEFA confirmed last week it opened disciplinary proceedings against Real Madrid, Barcelona and Juventus due to their continued association with the controversial European Super League that has been abandoned by the other nine founding members.
While speaking on Tuesday, La Liga president and UEFA Executive Committee member Javier Tebas explained that the governing body could expel those three clubs from the 2021-22 Champions League competition unless they resign from the breakaway league and agree to sanctions.
"The ones that have to be scared are Real Madrid and Barcelona," Tebas said, according to Adriana Garcia of ESPN. "I don't want to imagine a Champions [League] without them but it can happen.
"More than a sanction, UEFA may opt not to register Madrid, and Barca in the Champions. I think they could be left out. They should be scared."
Tebas added that Real Madrid president Florentino Perez has been keen on building some type of "super league" since even before the start of the COVID-19 pandemic and said that "the concept is not dead."
Manchester City, Chelsea, AC Milan, Arsenal, Atletico Madrid, Inter Milan, Liverpool, Manchester United and Tottenham Hotspur all quit the previously announced Super League and, per Garcia, agreed to forfeit 5% of their prize money from European tournaments during the 2022-23 campaign. Those clubs are also paying over $18 million combined "to benefit children, youth and grassroots football" in an attempt to discourage other teams from potentially starting or joining any breakaway competition in the future.
Sky Sports previously reported Real Madrid, Barcelona and Juventus could be banned from UEFA tournaments such as the Champions League for up to two years.