Tennis legend Roger Federer began his comeback from the multiple knee operations he underwent last year in March and then surprised many when he withdrew from the French Open last week following a taxing third-round victory.
Ahead of next week's Noventi Open in Halle, Germany, the 39-year-old explained on Friday he "would have taken the place I am today", as it pertains to his fitness levels, at Roland Garros and said the start of the grasscourt season is "go time" as Wimbledon approaches.
"The knee just needs always extra care, and I hope it's also going to react well to the grass," Federer said, according to Reuters (h/t ESPN). "I'm going to probably push a little bit more in practice this afternoon or maybe tomorrow, just to get the body ready for the grass courts, and I hope I have no negative reactions.
"I'm pretty positive about my chances... I'm confident that somehow I'll be fine in the coming days. But of course I want to stay injury-free. That's the most important [thing] right now."
Wimbledon begins June 28, and Federer is running out of time to build upon the all-time record of 20 Grand Slam titles that he currently shares with Rafael Nadal.