
The Toronto Blue Jays have a new injury to deal with after one of their outfielders sustained an apparent lower-body issue during Wednesday night’s showdown against American League East Division rivals Tampa Bay Rays at Tropicana Field in St. Petersburg.
“OF Brett Bateman was removed from tonight’s game with right hamstring tightness,” the Blue Jays announced via a social media post on X, formerly Twitter.
The 24-year-old Bateman appeared to hurt his hamstring while trying to beat out a groundball in the third inning.
Brett Bateman was removed from tonight’s game against the Rays with right hamstring tightness, the team announced. pic.twitter.com/kKaVVYxo9N
— Sportsnet (@Sportsnet) August 20, 2026
Meanwhile, here are some of the reactions from the fans to this unfortunate update on Bateman.
“I would like the jays to win the series and get out of the trop asap everybody is dropping like flies in this game,” a fan said.
“This team has the worst injury luck,” a social media user on X shared.
“Blue Jays cant have nice things this season,” another one commented.
“Fire the medical staff, I’m not even kidding. How is a new player injured everyday,” a different fan said.
“Nooooo!!! We need Bateman back ASAP!!!,” another comment read.
Before he left the game, Bateman went hitless on two at-bats as the Blue Jays’ leadoff hitter. He was replaced by Myles Straw.
Bateman entered the Rays game batting .283/.327/.326 with four RBIs and a stolen base through 10 games. He was previously with the Chicago Cubs system before being traded to the Blue Jays as part of the deal to send pitcher Kevin Gausman to the National League Central Division franchise.
More must-reads:
+
Get the latest news and rumors, customized to your favorite sports and teams. Emailed daily. Always free!