Veteran Washington Nationals infielder Starlin Castro won't play another game for the club and may be done through at least the end of the season.
Per Jessica Camerato of the Nationals website, MLB suspended Castro 30 games without pay and handed him an undisclosed fine for violating the league's joint domestic violence, sexual assault and child abuse policy. Castro first went on paid administrative leave July 16 and had that leave extended last week following an unspecified alleged domestic incident involving the 31-year-old.
"Having reviewed all of the available evidence, I have concluded that Mr. Castro violated our policy and that discipline is appropriate," MLB commissioner Rob Manfred said in a statement shared by The Athletic.
The Nationals announced via their own statement they plan to release Castro:
"We take all allegations of abuse and harassment very seriously. We fully support the Commissioner’s decision and will be releasing Starlin Castro upon the completion of his suspension. Per the terms of the policy, we will have no further comment on this matter."
Washington first placed Castro on the restricted list back on June 16 because of "a family matter," but he returned a couple of days later. Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo previously told reporters Castro's leave wasn't related to that situation, but Rizzo suggested earlier this month that Castro wouldn't be welcomed back to the club regardless of his league status.
Castro has slashed .283/.333/.375 with three home runs and 38 RBI this season. He is ineligible for the playoffs this fall per the terms of his punishment.