Yardbarker
Yardbarker
x
What’s Wrong With Aroldis Chapman?
Bill Streicher-USA TODAY Sports

 Aroldis Chapman’s tenure with the Pittsburgh Pirates began as anyone who is familiar with the veteran relief ace would have expected.

The Pirates ponied up $10.5 million to sign Chapman as a free agent in the offseason and it looked like money well spent through the first two weeks of the season.

Chapman began the year with seven-straight scoreless appearances. Over that stretch, the flamethrower didn’t allow a hit and struck out nine batters.

What Chapman has shown lately doesn’t resemble the same pitcher from the infancy stage of the season.

Over his next four appearances, Chapman allowed six runs (four earned) while recording six outs. He still was striking guys out (six punch outs) but his completely lost his command. With a pair of innings in the books, Chapman had issued seven free passes.

The control issues were at the forefront of the left-hander’s appearance against the Milwaukee Brewers on Monday night. Chapman struck out the first man he faced before walking three-straight batters. The final nine pitches he threw were outside of the zone.

“It looks like he’s just moving a little fast,” manager Derek Shelton said following that game. “This guy is a veteran, he’s done it. It looks like he is rushing his delivery. He got Weimer out to start the inning and it’s like he went back to get more and we know he doesn’t have to go back to get more. It’s just slowing him down a little bit.”

After back-to-back days off for the 36-year-old, Chapman returned to the mound for the Pirates against the Brewers on Thursday afternoon.

When Chapman entered the game in the eighth inning, the Pirates held a 6-5 lead and were six outs away from a series victory over their division rivals.

Blake Perkins opened the inning with an infield single to third base. Chapman then proceeded to retire Joey Ortiz and struck out Joey Wiemer.

Sal Frelick, the Brewers’ leadoff hitter, was the next batter due up, but manager Pat Murphy opted for a pinch-hitter. The substitute he called upon was veteran catcher and Chapman’s long-time battery mate Gary Sánchez.

Chapman jumped ahead 0-2 on two sinkers and a four-seam fastball to open the at-bat — a strike looking, a swing and a miss and then a foul ball. Chapman again went to the fastball, but this time, Sánchez connected.

The pitch wasn’t necessarily in a bad spot, in fact, it was off the plate away. However, Chapman had been working Sánchez away all at-bat and went to the well one too many times. Sánchez flipped a one-run deficit into a one-run Brewers’ lead.

“It was a fastball and I think it probably shouldn’t have been a fastball … It was 102 and I don’t even think it was a strike,” said Shelton. “But we’re talking (about a) veteran hitter and a guy that’s caught this guy for five or six years so I think he probably had a good idea he was gonna go to it. Overall, I just think we had too many fastballs.”

Perhaps more so than anything, Sánchez’s homer was one to which you just have to tip your cap, even if the fastball wasn’t the right call.

The much more alarming factor for Chapman is his command, or lack thereof. He did show signs of improvement in Thursday’s game with no walks and 18 of his 24 pitches for strikes.

“I feel good,” Chapman said through interpreter and coach Stephen Morales. “Just continue to work and just be cognizant of my work everyday and just try to do my best.”

Chapman will need to continue to show he can harness his control and string together a couple of scoreless appearances. Until that happens, maybe that $10.5 million isn’t money well spent.

This article first appeared on Pittsburgh Baseball Now and was syndicated with permission.

More must-reads:

Customize Your Newsletter

Yardbarker +

Get the latest news and rumors, customized to your favorite sports and teams. Emailed daily. Always free!

TODAY'S BEST

Red Sox hold key advantage in race for postseason berth
MLB

Red Sox hold key advantage in race for postseason berth

After putting together a highly successful road trip through the Bronx and Baltimore, the Boston Red Sox will now employ one of their top advantages of the 2025 season. Heading into Friday's home series opener against the Pittsburgh Pirates (with pitching prospect Payton Tolle set to make his MLB debut against National League Cy Young Award favorite Paul Skenes), the Red Sox just finished a portion of their schedule where they played 14 of 19 games away from Fenway Park. That includes the just-completed road trip, during which the Red Sox went 7-1 against the New York Yankees and Baltimore Orioles. With a road-heavy schedule behind them, Boston will settle into the comforts of Fenway Park for most of the next month. Beginning on Friday, only 12 of the Red Sox's 27 remaining games will be played on the road. That's great news for a Boston team that has been among MLB's best at home this season, posting a 41-25 record. The Red Sox's September schedule includes a trio of key home series against the Cleveland Guardians, Yankees and a three-game set with the Detroit Tigers that closes out the regular season. Depending on how the rest of the season unfolds, that final series could not only be pivotal for Boston's postseason chances but also be a potential preview of an American League matchup in October. Before a mid-August series against the Orioles in Boston, Red Sox manager Alex Cora spoke on several issues. Still, he mentioned his team's solid play at home this season as a change from previous years. "What we've been talking about the whole time, we have to be better at home. We have to, and that's what makes it great and we're doing that," Cora said. "Every day you come here, we're excited about it. There were a few times over the last three years that we weren't good here at Fenway Park. We're enjoying it." Cora went on to explain that the presence of third baseman Alex Bregman (now with Boston after signing as a free agent) and shortstop Trevor Story (fully recovered from injuries that saw him play in just 26 games last season) in the middle of the order was making a big difference in their success. Last season, the Red Sox were 38-43 at Fenway Park, so this year's home record is a big reason why Boston is back in the playoff chase. Simply put, the Red Sox's road to the postseason runs through Fenway Park. If Boston can keep up their winning ways at home, it bodes well for what October could bring.

Former NFL QB shares harsh truth about Browns' Shedeur Sanders
NFL

Former NFL QB shares harsh truth about Browns' Shedeur Sanders

Some previously accused Cleveland Browns head coach Kevin Stefanski of sabotaging the development of rookie quarterback Shedeur Sanders as Stefanski kept Sanders buried on the depth chart throughout the summer. A day after it was learned that Cleveland had agreed to trade Kenny Pickett to the Las Vegas Raiders for a 2026 fifth-round draft pick, Stefanski confirmed that Sanders will enter the Week 1 matchup against the Cincinnati Bengals on Sept. 7 as the Browns' QB3 behind starter Joe Flacco and fellow first-year pro Dillon Gabriel. During a recent chat with Jason Reid of Andscape, former NFL quarterback Akili Smith explained that the tape shows Sanders is behind as it pertains to playing the sport's most important position at the highest level. "If you take some time and break down the tape, and you understand what concepts they’re running, you see that Dillon Gabriel is ahead of Shedeur," Smith said. "No one who looks at the tape of those two and understands what they’re looking at could see it any other way. Gabriel is ahead of him, and a big thing is pocket presence. Shedeur took a sack in [the last preseason] game…it was ridiculous. You had all these people [on social media] blaming the line. He’s dropping back [too far]. He had to step up in the pocket or throw the ball away. It’s one or the other." Sanders took five sacks and completed just 3-of-6 passes for 14 yards in Cleveland's preseason finale versus the Los Angeles Rams on Aug. 23. Meanwhile, Gabriel connected on 12-of-19 passes for 129 yards and a touchdown in that contest. Smith is among those who believe Gabriel’s tape from August "is just better" than what Sanders produced. Sanders took an FBS-high 94 sacks over his final two college seasons before he fell to the fifth round of the 2025 NFL Draft. In the eyes of some, his play against the Rams showed that it will take time for him to unlearn certain bad habits he picked up over the years. "Anyone who’s got such a long way to go has to keep his nose clean, not turn on the organization and keep working," Smith added. "He has to put everything he has into continuing to get better each day. And that way, even if it doesn’t happen in Cleveland, you’re still giving yourself a chance. You’d show other teams that you want this. You’d show how much it means to you. Then maybe it happens somewhere else." The Browns trading Pickett indicates they're dedicated to continuing their development of Sanders through at least the 2025 season. That said, the potential return of Deshaun Watson is looming over Sanders' status as Flacco prepares to start against Cincinnati.

Green Bay Packers: Micah Parsons Responds to NFC East QB’s Unexpected Pitch After Trade
NFL

Green Bay Packers: Micah Parsons Responds to NFC East QB’s Unexpected Pitch After Trade

Perhaps one of the winners of the Green Bay Packers’ trade acquisition of Micah Parsons on Thursday is Russell Wilson and the New York Giants. With Parsons gone in the NFC East division, the Giants don’t have to deal with Parsons twice in the 2025 NFL regular season. Well, they will still be facing the Packers in East Rutherford in Week 11, but at least they’re not going to deal with Parsons multiple games in a season for years to come. Russell Wilson gets response from Parsons after Green Bay Packers trade Following Parsons’ stunning trade from the Dallas Cowboys to Green Bay, Wilson went on social media to offer the former Penn State Nittany Lions star some logistical help. “You know @MicahhParsons11 I went to Wisconsin @BadgerFootball…Anything you need in Wisco… Packing ur bags.. moving company… just let me know. ,” Wilson shared in a post on X. Parsons saw Wilson’s post and responded to it. “ hit my line,” Parsons wrote. It is undeniable that the Cowboys lost a crucial defensive weapon by letting go of Parsons, but they also didn’t see him as important enough to get him the extension contract he was looking for. Instead, Parsons lands in Green Bay, where he will be helping the Packers’ stop unit that was just 12th in the NFL in 2024 with a 7.42 percent sack rate. In any case, Parsons is no longer as big of a yearly threat to the rest of the NFC East but is now for the Packers’ NFC North rivals. The Chicago Bears, Minnesota Vikings and Detroit Lions just had their respective offensive lines and quarterbacks put on notice by Parsons.

QB gets hurt, but Wisconsin shuts out Miami (Ohio)
College Football

QB gets hurt, but Wisconsin shuts out Miami (Ohio)

Reserve quarterback Danny O'Neil threw for a second-half touchdown and ran for another and Wisconsin held Miami (Ohio) to 117 total yards en route to a 17-0 victory on Thursday in the nonconference season opener for both teams in Madison, Wisconsin. O'Neil, who replaced injured starter Billy Edwards Jr. midway through the second quarter, directed a 54-yard scoring drive that put Wisconsin up 10-0 with 4:08 left in the third quarter. O'Neil, a sophomore transfer from San Diego State, set up the score with a 22-yard completion to Grant Stec to the 3-yard line, then hit Vinny Anthony II with a touchdown toss on the following play. Edwards, making his debut after transferring from Maryland, left with a lower-body injury and did not return. The senior, who passed for 2,881 yards and 15 touchdowns last season as the Terrapins' starter, completed 6-of-13 passes for 68 yards before the injury. Preston Zachman returned an interception 17 yards to the Miami 2-yard line to set up Wisconsin's final touchdown, a one-yard sneak by O'Neil with 6:45 left. O'Neil completed 12-of-19 passes for 120 yards with one interception. Wisconsin redshirt freshman Dilin Jones ran for 73 yards on 14 carries, helping the Badgers finish with 165 yards on the ground. Miami, which returned no starters on offense, rushed for just 34 yards, averaging just 1.5 yards per carry. The RedHawks, who advanced to the MAC title game the last two seasons, managed just seven first downs and were 0-for-9 on third-down conversion attempts. Miami quarterback Dequan Finn, a seventh-year transfer from Baylor who also previously played at Toledo, completed 9-of-18 passes for 83 yards with two interceptions. Wisconsin took a 3-0 lead on its second possession, marching 69 yards in 15 plays from its own 6-yard line before settling for Nathanial Vakos' 42-yard field goal with 1:39 left in the first period. O'Neil led a 65-yard drive on the opening possession of the second half, but was picked off by Silas Walters in the end zone on 4th-and-3 from the 10-yard line.