x
Browns Insider Shares Clear Update on Quarterback Battle
Imagn Images

Veteran NFL analyst Tony Grossi believes Cleveland Browns head coach Todd Monken has sufficient information to select Deshaun Watson as the team’s starting quarterback.

“There’s enough data now for Todd Monken to name Deshaun Watson Browns starting quarterback and get on to preparing for the season opener,” Grossi said in his latest analysis of the ongoing quarterback competition.

Monken, however, has made clear he will not name a starter until after the team’s second preseason game. He previously committed to giving both Watson and Shedeur Sanders one preseason start each and intends to honor that plan.

Watson started Saturday’s preseason opener against the Chicago Bears and completed 11 of 15 passes for 126 yards. He led the Browns on two scoring drives in the first half of a 34-10 loss, including a field goal and a touchdown run by rookie wide receiver KC Concepcion.

Sanders entered in the second half and finished 6 of 11 for 79 yards with one interception. The second-year quarterback managed no points across three possessions, though he connected on a pair of explosive early completions.

Monken said the competition remains relatively even.

“I did feel going into last game that it was relatively close in terms of both having an opportunity at the starting position, so it would be unfair to not go into the next game and give Shedeur that same opportunity,” he said.

“Albeit a different team, certainly at home. There’s no guarantee the same players will be playing in this game, but it’s the closest you have, and we owe it to both players, who have handled it well and competed at a high level.”

Sanders is scheduled to start Saturday’s home game against the Buffalo Bills and play through the first half. Watson is expected to see action in the third quarter. Both quarterbacks will split first-team repetitions during Thursday’s joint practice with the Bills.

Monken outlined a detailed practice plan for the week. Sanders will work with the starters Monday in shells, Watson on Tuesday in full pads, and Sanders again Wednesday in helmets and shorts. The coach said the joint practice will feature alternating blocks so each quarterback receives roughly equal opportunities against Buffalo’s defense.

The Browns’ organization is determined to avoid any perception that the competition was predetermined in Watson’s favor. Last season, the team faced criticism over the limited first-team opportunities given to Sanders before he entered games later in the year.

Monken acknowledged the offense still has work to do after the Chicago game. Both quarterbacks experienced operational issues, including a delay of game and timeout with Watson in the lineup as well as a missed cadence and fumbled snap with Sanders.

Watson, 30, is returning from two Achilles tendon injuries that sidelined him for the entire 2025 season. He has started 19 games for Cleveland since arriving in a 2022 trade and has yet to match the Pro Bowl form he showed earlier in his career with the Houston Texans.

Sanders, the son of Hall of Famer Deion Sanders, started seven games as a rookie last season. Monken has praised the young quarterback’s improvement in pocket presence and progression reading throughout the offseason and training camp.

The regular season begins Sept. 13 when the Browns visit the Jacksonville Jaguars. Monken has indicated he wants the starting offensive line settled by the final preseason game against the New England Patriots so the unit can focus on preparations for the opener.

About 30 other NFL teams already know their starting quarterback heading into the final two weeks of the preseason. The Browns remain one of the few clubs still evaluating the position at this stage.

Grossi’s assessment reflects the body of work accumulated through training camp practices and the first preseason contest. Watson’s efficiency against Chicago’s defense, particularly early, provided Monken additional evidence of the veteran’s readiness.

Yet the coach continues to emphasize fairness and equal evaluation. The joint practices and Saturday’s game against Buffalo will supply the final major data points before a decision is announced.

Cleveland’s offensive line is expected to feature Spencer Fano at left tackle, Zion Johnson at left guard, Elgton Jenkins at center, Teven Jenkins at right guard and Tytus Howard at right tackle once healthy starters return. Monken said those five will receive priority repetitions once the preseason concludes.

Injuries have affected the defensive tackle and cornerback groups, but Monken expressed optimism that several players will return this week. The quarterback decision, however, remains the primary storyline as the Browns move closer to the regular season.

Watson and Sanders both have described the competition as healthy and productive. Monken has repeatedly noted that neither player has separated himself dramatically enough to end the battle early.

With one more preseason start remaining for each, the Browns will gather additional information before Monken finally names his choice for the Sept. 13 opener in Jacksonville.

This article first appeared on Viral Sports News and was syndicated with permission.

More must-reads:

Customize Your Newsletter

Yardbarker +

Get the latest news and rumors, customized to your favorite sports and teams. Emailed daily. Always free!