
Five of the six Buss siblings want to sell their shares in the Los Angeles Lakers. Jeanie Buss contends they can't do it without her approval.
In another twist to the Buss family drama, Jeanie Buss' lawyer sent a letter to her siblings' lawyers claiming that any sale that would remove his client as controlling owner would be "in breach of trust" and "in contempt of court."
Attorney Adam Streisand cites a court order from 2017 as the basis for contending the siblings' planned sale is illegal. That arose when Jeanie Buss fired brother Jim Buss as president of basketball operations, hiring Rob Pelinka and Magic Johnson in his place. Jim and Johnny Buss then attempted to replace their sister on the Lakers' board of directors, where the family had three seats.
Jeanie thwarted the coup attempt, backed by sister Janie and brothers Joey and Jesse Buss. Jim and Johnny resigned as co-trustees, replaced by Janie and Joey. But when the Buss family sold to Mark Walter last summer, Joey and Jesse were fired, and Janie was forced to resign.
Perhaps the remaining siblings wanted revenge when they sold their shares, knowing Jeanie couldn't remain as team governor. They would also net roughly $370M each from the sale, based on the team's $12.5B valuation. But Jeanie does not appear to be going down without a fight.
Big breaking news:
— Alex Sherman (@sherman4949) August 17, 2026
I've obtained a letter from Jeanie Buss's lawyer to the lawyers of her siblings demanding any vote to sell the team is "void" and reiterating that she's the controlling shareholder -- which trumps any "vote."
Story developing ...https://t.co/TxJGaLX2zn
It seemed like Walter would be a long-term owner of the Lakers when he purchased the team. But last fall, Walter and his insurance companies became the subject of a federal probe, involving both the U.S. Attorney's Office and the Securities and Exchange Commission. Now he's sold the Lakers and is planning to sell his shares in Chelsea FC, perhaps to address concerns about his insurance companies' level of investment in professional sports.
That means the Lakers have their third owner in 15 months, and may change gears again after several changes initiated by Walter. The Lakers relocated their G League team to the Coachella Valley, raised ticket prices steeply and even got corporate sponsorship for the Laker Girls.
Buss and Walter had an agreement to keep her in place as team governor through 2030, but that is uncertain. Iger said he "had every intention" of honoring the agreement, but added, "If things change, they'll change" — hardly full-throated support for Jeanie.
Bob Iger to @khobi_price on Jeanie Buss remaining the governor of the Lakers through 2030, which was the plan after the sale to Mark Walter:
— Arash Markazi (@ArashMarkazi) August 12, 2026
"We have every intention to honor the agreement that was made between Mark and Jeanie. If things change, they’ll change."
It also appears that Jeanie Buss tried to ensure her position without giving her siblings full information. Last Monday, the Lakers held a meeting with the Buss siblings in an attempt to "lock down" the family's shares for four years without informing them of the pending sale, announced the next day.
The meeting was held Tuesday. During the meeting, there was no mention of a pending sale between Mark Walter and Bob Iger/Josh Kushner, sources told ESPN. The next day, Walter’s agreement to sell the team was reported by ESPN’s @ramonashelburne https://t.co/xuJJD7HPSs
— Dave McMenamin (@mcten) August 17, 2026
It certainly appears Jeanie Buss thought she was vulnerable to being removed last week. Now that her siblings have made their own move, the Lakers' immediate future might not be settled on a basketball court, but in a court of law.
More must-reads:
+
Get the latest news and rumors, customized to your favorite sports and teams. Emailed daily. Always free!