The Boy Racer, Mark Cavendish (Sky Procycling), once again proved that he is the man of the sprints as he romped over his competition in the Stage 5 finale.
Showing no ill effects from his brutal crash three days ago, Cavendish easily took the bunch sprint in front of Australian Matthew Goss (Orica-GreenEdge) and Italian Daniele Bennati (RadioShack-Nissan).
Dressed in his World Championship stripes, the Manxman was joined on the podium by his baby daughter Delilah. By virtue of is win, Cavendish raised his career Giro d'Italia tally to nine.
Ramunas Navardauskas (Garmin - Barracuda) retained the overall race lead, finishing safely in the main peloton. With his second place finish, Goss proved to be the biggest climber on the day as he shot up the rankings in fourth place, just 13 seconds off the race lead.
Results - Stage 5 - Modena - Fano 199km
1. Mark Cavendish (GBr) Sky Procycling - 4:43:15
2. Matthew Harley Goss (Aus) Orica GreenEdge Cycling Team
3. Daniele Bennati (Ita) RadioShack-Nissan
General Classification After Stage 5
1. Ramunas Navardauskas (Ltu) Garmin - Barracuda - 14:45:13
2. Robert Hunter (RSA) Garmin - Barracuda - 0:00:05
3. Ryder Hesjedal (Can) Garmin - Barracuda - 0:00:11
4. Matthew Harley Goss (Aus) Orica GreenEdge Cycling Team - 0:00:13
5. Mark Cavendish (GBr) Sky Procycling - 0:00:14
6. Geraint Thomas (GBr) Sky Procycling - 0:00:16
7. Manuele Boaro (Ita) Team Saxo Bank - 0:00:19
8. Christian Vande Velde (USA) Garmin - Barracuda - 0:00:26
9. Joaquim Rodriguez Oliver (Spa) Katusha Team - 0:00:30
10. Alexander Kristoff (Nor) Katusha Team
Next: Stage 6 - Urbino - Porto Sant'Elpidio 207km
The peloton sees the first climbs of any significance before heading into the stratosphere the rest of the way.
Photo: Associated Press/Fabio Ferrari
Delivered to your inbox
You'll also receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams. And the best part? It's free!
|Best of Yardbarker||NFL News||MLB News|
Today's Best Stuff
Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.
What is Yardbarker?
Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.