Matthew Goss (Orica GreenEdge Cycling Team) provided the Australian based up-start its first Grand Tour victory by taking the crash marred Stage 3 in Horsens in front of Argentine sprinter, Juan Jose Haedo (Team Saxo Bank) and American Tyler Farrar (Garmin-Barracuda).
"It's great to win here in a pure bunch sprint," Goss told Cyclingnews. "I'm very happy for the team. There were a lot corners in the finale, that always strings the bunch out but I had a great team."
The win was Goss' second in the Giro d'Italia, with his other victory coming on Stage 9 in 2010.
On a day that paid tribute to the Wouter Weylandt, who died after crashing during Stage 3 of last year's race, the finale was unfortunately marred by a fairly brutal crash that saw Stage 2 victor, Mark Cavendish (Sky Procycling) and race leader Taylor Phinney (BMC Racing) involved in the fray as riders jockeyed for position.
Both riders were able finish the stage, and despite crossing the line over five minutes behind Goss, Phinney retained the race lead and his hold on the maglia rosa.
Stage 3 Results (Horsens 190km)
1. Matthew Harley Goss (Aus) Orica GreenEdge Cycling Team - 4:20:53
2. Juan José Haedo (Arg) Team Saxo Bank
3. Tyler Farrar (USA) Garmin - Barracuda
General Classification After Stage 3
1. Taylor Phinney (USA) BMC Racing Team - 9:24:31
2. Geraint Thomas (GBr) Sky Procycling - 0:00:09
3. Alex Rasmussen (Den) Garmin - Barracuda - 0:00:13
4. Manuele Boaro (Ita) Team Saxo Bank - 0:00:15
5. Ramunas Navardauskas (Ltu) Garmin - Barracuda - 0:00:18
6. Gustav Larsson (Swe) Vacansoleil-DCM Pro Cycling Team - 0:00:22
7. Brett Lancaster (Aus) Orica GreenEdge Cycling Team - 0:00:23
8. Matthew Harley Goss (Aus) Orica GreenEdge Cycling Team
9. Marco Pinotti (Ita) BMC Racing Team - 0:00:24
10. Jesse Sergent (NZl) RadioShack-Nissan - 0:00:26
Next: Rest Day 1. Stage 4 Verona (TTT) 32.2km - May 9th
As majestic in it synchronicity as it is cruel when it all falls apart, the peloton takes full flight in the Team Time Trial in fair Verona.
Photo: Associated Press
Delivered to your inbox
You'll also receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams. And the best part? It's free!
|Best of Yardbarker||NFL News||MLB News|
Today's Best Stuff
Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.
What is Yardbarker?
Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.