Regaled in the Swedish National Road Champion jersey, Emma Johansson (Hitec Products - Mistral Home Cycling Team) took home the finale of the 2012 Giro d'Italia Femminile Internazionale, crossing the line in Bergamo with hands raised just ahead of Marianne Vos (Stichting Rabo Women), who similarly celebrated her overall race victory.
Finishing second to Vos on two previous occassions (on Stage 4 and 7), Johansson surged ahead of her breakaway companion to take her first Giro Donne victory.
"On the first climb I suffered a bit, said Johansson. "But in the final [ascent and descent] I knew it could be my day. Now it's time to celebrate and relax before big events that lie ahead."
Results - Stage 9 - Sarnico - Bergamo (106.9km)
1. Emma Johansson (Swe) Hitec Products - Mistral Home Cycling Team - 2:44:38
2. Marianne Vos (Ned) Stichting Rabo Women Cycling Team
3. Emma Pooley (GBr) AA Drink - Leontien.nl Cycling Team - 0:00:02
What else can be said about Marianne Vos that has not been said already? Coming off a shoulder injury in late May, and with form untested, the Dutch rider was simply dominant over the course of the nine-day stage race. Amazingly, Vos missed out on only one day's podium, amassing five wins and three second place finishes on her way to repeating as the Giro Donne champion. She would also sweep all the major leader's jersey categories: General, Points and Mountain Classifications. And she did it all in what amounted to a little over a day's work.
General Classification - Final
1. Marianne Vos (Ned) Stichting Rabo Women Cycling Team - 24:50:43
2. Emma Pooley (GBr) AA Drink - Leontien.nl Cycling Team - 0:03:27
3. Evelyn Stevens (USA) Team Specialized - Lululemon - 0:06:32
4. Fabiana Luperini (Ita) Faren Honda Team - 0:07:39
5. Emma Johansson (Swe) Hitec Products - Mistral Home Cycling Team - 0:07:50
6. Judith Arndt (Ger) Orica-AIS - 0:08:30
7. Tatiana Guderzo (Ita) MCipollini Giambenini - 0:09:00
8. Claudia Hausler (Ger) Orica-AIS - 0:09:13
9. Elisa Longo Borghini (Ita) Hitec Products - Mistral Home Cycling Team - 0:10:07
10. Ashleigh Moolman (RSA) Lotto Belisol Ladies - 0:10:12
27. Shelley Olds (USA) AA Drink - Leontien.nl Cycling Team 0:51:19
38. Charlotte Becker (Ger) Team Specialized - Lululemon 1:04:11
44. Nicole Cooke (GBr) Faren Honda Team 1:08:58
45. Veronica Leal Balderas (Mex) S.C. Michela Fanini Rox 1:09:47
47. Chloe Hosking (Aus) Team Specialized - Lululemon 1:11:26
48. Giorgia Bronzini (Ita) Diadora - Pasta Zara 1:13:10
62. Giuseppina Grassi (Mex) Faren Honda Team 1:24:08
68. Rochelle Gilmore (Aus) Faren Honda Team 1:32:03
71. Liza Rachetto (USA) Forno d'Asolo Colavita 1:37:20
72. Ally Stacher (USA) Team Specialized - Lululemon 1:37:31
86. Amber Pierce (USA) Diadora - Pasta Zara 1:43:04
Final Jersey Winners
Pasta Zara Leader's Jersey (pink) - Marianne Vos (Stichting Rabobank)
Rock No War Onlus Points Jersey (yellow) - Marianne Vos (Stichting Rabobank)
Epiù Energia - Gruppo Iseni Queen of the Mountains Jersey (green) - Marianne Vos (Stichting Rabobank)
Servetto Best Young Rider Jersey (white) - Elisa Longo Borghini (Hitec Products Mistral Home)
Santero Best Italian Rider Jersey (blue) - Fabiana Luperini (Faren Honda Team)
Delivered to your inbox
You'll also receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams. And the best part? It's free!
|Best of Yardbarker||NFL News||MLB News|
Today's Best Stuff
Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.
What is Yardbarker?
Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.