Found September 17, 2013 on
Race Review Online:
Indianapolis, IN- Yesterday, Team Penske made the most shocking news of the 2014 Izod IndyCar Series silly season.
Most people thought Columbian Juan Pablo Montoya would stay in NASCAR after turning down the Andretti Autosport ride this past weekend.
It was widely speculated that Montoya would join Furniture Row Racing replacing Kurt Busch as the 2004 NASCAR Sprint Cup champion is joining Stewart/Haas Racing next year.
But Penske swooped in and stole him away from Andretti and Chip Ganassi Racing as it was rumored he could return to a fourth IndyCar team with Ganassi next year. No one even spoke of him landing at Penske.
That is a great move for both sides as this could be a potential Indy 500 winning and championship caliber team. Montoya will pilot the No. 2 Chevrolet previously driven by A.J. Allmendinger this year. Allmendinger qualified fifth and finished seventh in his rookie start in this past May’s Indy 500.
This move was to get Penske back in victory lane at Indy again. They’ve been shut out since 2009 and only have two 500 victories since 2006. Montoya is 1-for-1 at Indy in IndyCar competition and has been dominant at the track for in the Brickyard 400 despite not winning.
“I’ve had the opportunity to drive for some of the best racing teams in the world, and I’ve always admired Roger Penske and his organization,” Montoya said in a statement issued by Penske Racing. “I consider it an honor to be offered the opportunity to drive for Team Penske.”
Penske is equally excited.
“Juan is a proven winner at all levels of motor sport,” Roger Penske said. ”He’s won a lot of races and championships, and he has an extremely passionate fan base. We look forward to building on his successes together and we believe he will be a great addition to Team Penske.”
This is a huge win for IndyCar as it’s another proven champion added to the series.
Eric Smith is the Lead Motorsports Writer for Race Review Online. Follow him on Twitter @Ericsportsguru
The post IndyCar: What Penske Signing Juan Pablo Montoya Means appeared first on Race Review Online.
BEST OF MAXIM
There are nine races left on the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series schedule after which Juan Pablo Montoya will leave the series and head to IndyCar.
The 37-year-old Montoya will drive a IndyCar for Penske Racing in 2014 joining Will Power and Helio Castroneves in Penske Racing’s IZOD IndyCar Series lineup beginning next season.
Montoya remains the only driver to win in the Indianapolis...
After it looked like a return to open wheels seemed bleak, Juan Pablo Montoya will indeed be making the move back to IndyCar in 2014 with Penske Racing driving the #2 Team Penske Chevrolet powered entry joining Will Power and Helio Castroneves.
This announcement comes after Montoya turned down Michael Andretti’s offer after progress had been reportedly been made on trying to bring...
Juan Montoya returns to INDYCAR next season, driving a third car for Roger Penske. JPM will be behind the wheel of the #2 Team Penske Chevrolet for the full 2014 season alongside Will Power and three-time Indianapolis 500 winner Helio Castroneves. He recently commented on his return to the open wheel series. "I am really excited," Montoya said. "If you dream of any...
Juan Pablo Montoya is leaving NASCAR for a return to IndyCar, where he'll drive for Chip Ganassi rival Roger Penske.
The Colombian has agreed to join Team Penske next season as a teammate to current IndyCar points leader Helio Castroneves and Will Power. He could also drive in some NASCAR races as part of the deal.
The move could be seen as a betrayal by Montoya against longtime...