WP: Peter Moylan (1-0, 0.00 ERA) LP: Jonathan Papelbon (3-6, 3.02 ERA) What can you say but, wow? Everything was going for the Phillies in tonight's game up until the ninth inning. They started the game with an early 5-0 lead, and took out opposing LHP starter Paul Maholm after the second inning. Cole Hamels lasted six innings and was in line to receive his 15th victory of the season, which would have tied his career high. He allowed just three runs on six hits and two walks, and 70 of his 105 total pitches were thrown for stikes. The Phillies led 7-3 heading into the final frame. After Jeremy Horst allowed a few batters on, Charlie Manuel went to someone he thought he could trust, All-Star closer Jonathan Papelbon. Unfortuantely for the Phillies, who could have pulled within seven games of the second and final wild card spot, Papelbon allowed five runs to cross the plate, giving Atlanta enough for the walk-off victory. Jonathan now has four blown saves in 2012. Tomorrow's matinee will feature Tyler Cloyd, making his second career start, and Cy Young candidate Johnny Cueto. The game starts at 1:10 pm EST, and can be seen on CSN and heard on 1210 WPHT AM & 94 WIP AM.
Starting Pitching Summary:
- Cole Hamels: 6.0 IP, 6 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 2 BB, 6 SO, 0 HR, 3.04 ERA
- Paul Maholm: 2.0 IP, 6 H, 7 R, 7 ER, 3 BB, 1 SO, 0 HR, 3.79 ERA
- Josh Lindblom (7th): 0.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 2 SO, 0 HR, 3.54 ERA
- Jeremy Horst (7th, 8th, 9th): 1.2 IP, 1 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 2 BB, 1 SO, 0 HR, 1.99 ERA
- Jonathan Papelbon (9th): 0.1 IP, 2 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 1 BB, 1 SO, 1 HR, 3.02 ERA
- Cristhian Martinez (3rd, 4th, 5th): 3.0 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 2 BB, 3 SO, 0 HR, 4.19 ERA
- Miguel Batista (6th, 7th): 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 SO, 0 HR, 4.62 ERA
- Jonny Venters (8th): 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 0 SO, 0 HR, 3.40 ERA
- Luis Avilan (9th): 0.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 2 SO, 0 HR, 2.22 ERA
- Peter Moylan (9th): 0.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 0 SO, 0 HR, 0.00 ERA
- Top of the 1st (Phillies 2, Braves 0): Ryan Howard doubles (8) on a fly ball to left fielder Reed Johnson. Kevin Frandsen, Chase Utley score.
- Top of the 1st (Phillies 5, Braves 0): Erik Kratz doubles (8) on a line drive to right fielder Jason Heyward. Ryan Howard, Ty Wigginton score.
- Bottom of the 2nd (Phillies 5, Braves 1): Reed Johnson doubles (13) on a fly ball to center fielder John Mayberry.
- Top of the 3rd (Phillies 7, Braves 1): Cole Hamels hits a ground-rule double (2) on a fly ball to center field. Ty Wigginton, John Mayberry score.
- Bottom of the 6th (Phillies 7, Braves 3): Reed Johnson singles on a line drive to center fielder John Mayberry. Freddie Freeman, Jason Heyward score.
- Bottom of the 9th (Phillies 7, Braves 5): Martin Prado doubles (37) on a ground ball to left fielder Laynce Nix. Reed Johnson, Paul Janish score.
- Bottom of the 9th (Phillies 7, Braves 8): Chipper Jones homers (14) on a fly ball to right center field. Michael Bourn, Martin Prado score.
- Monday, September 3, 2012; 1:10 pm EST
- Philadelphia Phillies (64-70) at Cincinatti Reds (82-53)
- Tyler Cloyd (0-1, 4.50 ERA) vs. Johnny Cueto (17-6, 2.48 ERA)
- TV: CSN
- Radio: 1210 WPHT, 94 WIP
Matt Rappa is a contributor for Buzz on Broad. You can find him on Twitter at @mattrappa.
Delivered to your inbox
|Best of Yardbarker||NFL News||MLB News|
Today's Best Stuff
Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.
What is Yardbarker?