Final: Phillies 3, Mets 1.
WP: Cliff Lee (6-7, 3.27 ERA) LP: R.A. Dickey (18-6, 2.67 ERA) SV: Jonathan Papelbon (35)
The Phillies needed to score quickly tonight off of Mets' ace R.A. Dickey if they wanted to increase their chances of winning, especially after the rough series they just concluded down in Houston against the Astros.
They did just that.
Jimmy Rollins led off the game by striking out, but was able to make it to first base on a passed ball. Rollins then advanced to second on a pickoff throwing error by Dickey. With Mayberry batting and grounding out softly to the pitching mound, Rollins then made it to third base with just one out, which set up Chase Utley to hit a sacrifice fly-RBI.
The 1-0 Phillies advantage that came about in the top of the first inning remained the same until the top of the fifth, when Jimmy Rollins hit his 21st home run of the season to right center field. The play was reviewed by umpires, and eventually ruled a home run. 21 home runs in a season for Jimmy is his most since 2009, where he also accumulated 21, and his second-most since his MVP year in 2007 (30).
With the Phillies up 2-1 in the top of the seventh, Domonic Brown took R.A. Dickey deep to right field for his fourth home run of the season. The three runs scored by the Phillies tonight would prove to be enough for the team to get back to the (.500) mark.
Cliff Lee did all you could ask for and more in tonight's action. In the top of the second inning, he picked up his 1,500th career strikeout, and became just the 60th left-hander in baseball history to accomplish such a feat. He lasted eight total innings tonight on 111 pitches (79 strikes), allowing just one run, seven hits and one walk. He struck out a total of ten batters.
Jonathan Papelbon recorded his 35th save of the season in the ninth inning, his most since 2010 with the Boston Red Sox when he had a total of 37.
Rookie RHP Tyler Cloyd (1-1) starts in the second game of the series against RHP Matt Harvey (3-5) of the New York Mets. The game will start at 7:10 pm EST, and can be seen on MyPHL17 and heard on 1210 WPHT AM & 94 WIP FM.
Starting Pitching Summary:
- Cliff Lee: 8.0 IP, 7 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 10 SO, 0 HR, 3.27 ERA
- R.A. Dickey: 7.0 IP, 5 H, 3 R, 2 ER, 2 BB, 8 SO, 2 HR, 2.67 ERA
- Jonathan Papelbon (9th): 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 SO, 0 HR, 2.40 ERA
- Robert Carson (8th): 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 0 SO, 0 HR, 5.25 ERA
- Josh Edgin (9th): 0.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 SO, 0 HR, 3.24 ERA
- Ramon Ramirez (9th): 0.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 0 SO, 0 HR, 4.30 ERA
- Top of the 1st (Phillies 1, Mets 0): Chase Utley out on a sacrifice fly to center fielder Andres Torres. Jimmy Rollins scores.
- Top of the 5th (Phillies 2, Mets 0): Play reviewed & overturned: Jimmy Rollins homers (21) on a fly ball to right center field.
- Bottom of the 5th (Phillies 2, Mets 1): Daniel Murphy singles on a soft fly ball to left fielder Domonic Brown. Mike Nickeas scores.
- Top of the 7th (Phillies 3, Mets 1): Domonic Brown homers (4) on a fly ball to right field.
- Tuesday, September 18, 2012; 7:10 pm EST
- Philadelphia Phillies (74-74) at New York Mets (66-81)
- Tyler Cloyd (1-1, 4.95 ERA) vs. Matt Harvey (3-5, 2.92 ERA)
- TV: MyPHL17
- Radio: 1210 WPHT, 94 WIP
Matt Rappa is a contributor for Buzz on Broad. You can find him on Twitter at @mattrappa.
Delivered to your inbox
|Best of Yardbarker||NFL News||MLB News|
Today's Best Stuff